The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao 159

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2017 - 14:27

I have two Jinhao 159's and use and love them both!  Even thought about buying a couple more!  Why?  I don't know!  (Such is the sickness!)  C. S. 

Sponsored Content

#142 Dragonmaster Lou

Dragonmaster Lou

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2017 - 15:43

I just got one myself, and I do like it so far (though I put a Goulet F nib in it that I had lying around from an x750 that fell apart on me). Feels good in the hand and more solidly built than the x750.

#143 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:08

Mine is great as well. I hate jinhao M nibs for some reason but it currently has a knox oblique double broad (available on amazon for about $12) that really makes it feel more like a "premium" pen.

Mine had the issue of the inner sleeve coming out. A little dab of $2 five minute epoxy fixed it months ago, and it's been fine since.

Truly a great pen for REALLY extended writing sessions. Lots of character and personality, even if it is a blatant ripoff of a mont blanc, it's a great way to try out and see if you really like the MB shape.

#144 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 14:05

even if it is a blatant ripoff of a mont blanc

The Monblanc was hardly original and is a ripoff itself

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#145 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 18:55

It's a beautiful pen at a nice price.  I'll have to get one.  I thought the MB 149 was too big, same for the Pelikan M1000.  This one will have to be experienced.  It's great to have fun with pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#146 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2017 - 17:34

I have two, they just arrived over the past month, both fire engine red. I had thought the second one would be a deep maroon-that's what the pictures looked like on "the bay" I paid $3.40 & $3.95 including shipping for them. The fit and finish is adequate. I noticed a color variation between the cap and body more pronounced on the first arrival. Both pens seem well put together the caps screw on tight and stay tight and so do the sections. The converters fit snugly. they don't post very well, of course the cap is like a counterweight. I usually prefer to write with the cap posted, but not with this behemoth! I've only loaded up one so far and it's a very smooth writer without much feedback. I will be trying a different nib in one of them. The pen is a bit too big for me to use as an everyday writer, but it's certainly a conversation starter in bright red.

The first one did have some flow trouble but a couple of taps on the side of the converter seemed to fix the problem. I do think this pen if subjected to daily heavy use would shows signs of wear rather quickly compared to a higher quality pen. The threads inside the cap are part of a soft plastic insert that may not last.

The shape of the shield on the clip doesn't bother me as much as the chintzy image stamped inside it.

For what I paid for for these pens, they are decent writers and worth the money (even if they only last a year or two) IMHO. :D So far I've been very satisfied with the offerings from Jinhao I've purchased.

Now the caveat: I have little experience with quality pens. I've mostly had bargain basement type pens.

34862267583_46179a3a8d_b.jpg

34830309144_4f8c99dbbf_b.jpg

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to post images. if these are too big I'll take them down :blush:

Pax,
John

#147 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:22

I like the J-159 in black. The red ones above, however, look great.
Khan

Sponsored Content

|