Jinhao 159

Malcy

I have two Jinhao 159's and use and love them both! Even thought about buying a couple more! Why? I don't know! (Such is the sickness!) C. S.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Malcy

• robofkent

• Benpiggy

I just got one myself, and I do like it so far (though I put a Goulet F nib in it that I had lying around from an x750 that fell apart on me). Feels good in the hand and more solidly built than the x750.

Mine is great as well. I hate jinhao M nibs for some reason but it currently has a knox oblique double broad (available on amazon for about $12) that really makes it feel more like a "premium" pen.

Mine had the issue of the inner sleeve coming out. A little dab of $2 five minute epoxy fixed it months ago, and it's been fine since.

Truly a great pen for REALLY extended writing sessions. Lots of character and personality, even if it is a blatant ripoff of a mont blanc, it's a great way to try out and see if you really like the MB shape.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It's a beautiful pen at a nice price. I'll have to get one. I thought the MB 149 was too big, same for the Pelikan M1000. This one will have to be experienced. It's great to have fun with pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have two, they just arrived over the past month, both fire engine red. I had thought the second one would be a deep maroon-that's what the pictures looked like on "the bay" I paid $3.40 & $3.95 including shipping for them. The fit and finish is adequate. I noticed a color variation between the cap and body more pronounced on the first arrival. Both pens seem well put together the caps screw on tight and stay tight and so do the sections. The converters fit snugly. they don't post very well, of course the cap is like a counterweight. I usually prefer to write with the cap posted, but not with this behemoth! I've only loaded up one so far and it's a very smooth writer without much feedback. I will be trying a different nib in one of them. The pen is a bit too big for me to use as an everyday writer, but it's certainly a conversation starter in bright red.

The first one did have some flow trouble but a couple of taps on the side of the converter seemed to fix the problem. I do think this pen if subjected to daily heavy use would shows signs of wear rather quickly compared to a higher quality pen. The threads inside the cap are part of a soft plastic insert that may not last.

The shape of the shield on the clip doesn't bother me as much as the chintzy image stamped inside it.

For what I paid for for these pens, they are decent writers and worth the money (even if they only last a year or two) IMHO. :D So far I've been very satisfied with the offerings from Jinhao I've purchased.

Now the caveat: I have little experience with quality pens. I've mostly had bargain basement type pens.

34862267583_46179a3a8d_b.jpg

34830309144_4f8c99dbbf_b.jpg

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to post images. if these are too big I'll take them down :blush:

Pax,
John

• 5 months later...

i am new here and joined it today.

i want to ask a question to my senior and experienced members as i am confused between JINHAO 159, JINHAO X750 AND JINHAO 450.

if they are all marked with MEDIUM NIB , so will they only differ in body or their nib too. (i am talking about nib construction , their response and material not about their colour.)

i will be grateful for your suggestions and advice as i wanted to try some jinhao pen.

thank you

In my experience all three pens have similar nibs (at least the modern ones, I hear that some older 450s had thinner metal). So it is actually down to what fits your hand. For me it is the 159 followed by the steel 750. I find the triangular section of the 450 too thin for my grip but YMMV.

Gistar

I recently sold most of my pen collection, including "nicer" pens like a Visconti and some Watermans and inexpensive pens, including a collection of 12 Jinhao pens. The one Jinhao I kept was a red Jinhao 159. One reason I kept it was that I have a few Goulet nibs lying around and I can put any of them into the 159. I have found 159s to be reliable writers and I kind of like their looks. As for value, how can you go wrong with a 159 for about the price of a Platinum Preppy?

I don't understand the point of putting Goulet nibs in these. I've found jovos to be quite dry writers whereas the jinhao nib is quite wet. Why not just smooth out the jinhao nib (+/- customize as preferred) and ta da?

I don't understand the point of putting Goulet nibs in these. I've found jovos to be quite dry writers whereas the jinhao nib is quite wet. Why not just smooth out the jinhao nib (+/- customize as preferred) and ta da?

I agree that the stock nib in a 159 is usually fine to write with. I was thinking about the 1.1 mm stub from Goulet that I have. I also have a 1.5 mm Goulet stub that I like to use now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

The reason why some people replace them with a Goulet nib is that the Jinhao is only available in a broad medium. The Goulet nib is more of a downgrade, but if there's only one size then people have no option.

Edited by Bluey