Jinhao 159

Malcy

I think I lucked out. The new 159 arrived and seems strong, heavy, and flawless (so far!)

I inked it with Pelikan Royal Blue fully expecting it to skip, not feed, and otherwise misbehave. Surprise! It lays down ink gangbusters.

My only complaint is that the nib is too broad. I think I'll work on it a bit to create a fine point. The converter capacity isn't all that large.

Bottom line? It's a 10/10, considering the price.

Incidentally, the weight and sheer mass of it has altered my handwriting. If I let myself go, the 159 is eager to make curlicues, long word endings, and draw pictures. Maybe I'll have to retract my semi-final opinion about never buying Chinese pens.

T/

How does it do once the converter is half empty? I've found these pens do lay down a nice line of ink when freshly filled and flow just fine until about half the ink has been used. Then the flow problems begin. I've flushed mine out with warm soapy water, adjusted the nib and replaced the converter, but nothing has helped. Also, the caps tend to become loose quickly too with these pens.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Malcy

• robofkent

• Benpiggy

How does it do once the converter is half empty? I've found these pens do lay down a nice line of ink when freshly filled and flow just fine until about half the ink has been used. Then the flow problems begin. I've flushed mine out with warm soapy water, adjusted the nib and replaced the converter, but nothing has helped. Also, the caps tend to become loose quickly too with these pens.

No problems here. The converter capacity is admittedly on the low side for the juicy medium nib on my 159 but there's little change in flow even when the converter is practically empty.

No problems here. The converter capacity is admittedly on the low side for the juicy medium nib on my 159 but there's little change in flow even when the converter is practically empty.

Same here; I was running mine with the converter apparently empty a few minutes ago; mmind you, a section that big must hold quite a lot of ink.

JohnDoh: do you mean the cap works loose in your pocket with only taking 2/3 of a turn or so to close? or that the threads are getting looser, the more you use the pen?

Been considering this pen but I have a question on the width of the barrel.

How does it compare to the Jinhao 450 or 750?

Just received mine today and I am so impressed! The nib is smooth and the flow is great. It does not skip at all. I only wish there were more colours!

Been considering this pen but I have a question on the width of the barrel.

How does it compare to the Jinhao 450 or 750?

Widest part of the barrel of Jinhao X450 is 14mm; section tapers from 12mm to 10mm.

Widest part of the barrel of Jinhao 159 is 16.5mm; section tapers from 14mm to 12mm.

Or thereabouts.

The 159 is a big, weighty (50g) pen, but so well balanced.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this yesterday in the mail. I am very impressed by this pen. Although, I wish there was a finer nib size. This could easily be remedied with a Knox nib.

Edited by Leonchan

The 159 sure is a monster of a pen. Can't fit it in the pen holders in my attache case!

Honestly, it's a bit of phallus replacement and looks a bit ridiculous to use in public.

Great value, though.

I have had my Jinhao 159 for 2 weeks. Bought mine from hisnibs.com. I have it inked with Montblanc Royal Blue. Have the other German one and I love both of them. The Jinhao nib is smooth and the ink flows so nicely. The size suits my hand for long periods of writing. Just a good writing instrument at s good price.

The 159 sure is a monster of a pen. Can't fit it in the pen holders in my attache case!

Honestly, it's a bit of phallus replacement and looks a bit ridiculous to use in public.

Great value, though.

coming from a bic-fan!!! :roflmho:

i just had a visual of you frustrated, throwing the 159 away and placing a bic stick in your attaché.... :headsmack:

take care!

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine and had to superglue the cap inner lining but it appears to be primed for inking ...'

Haven't inked her up yet too many pens "going" at this time ... Great to hear everyone is pleased ...

I got a set of three (three different finishes, three different German nibs).

All of them are nice writer, but they dry up just laying down for a few hours.

Well, I guess I'd better continuing with the original cigar...

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

A cap should always be replaced after use, like all fluids ink is subject to evaporation.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

A cap should always be replaced after use, like all fluids ink is subject to evaporation.

I always replace the caps immediately after finished writing (also to protect the nib and to keep the body from rolling away).

Some of my pens always start writing immediately, even if I left them unused (capped, horizontal) for months.

Some other pens are hard starter after a few days.

These three pens need a twist of the converter to start writing again after just a few hours.

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

I'm using cartridges in mine for the extra ink, and don't have this problem, they write well, even to the end of the cart. But I went with the standard Chinese nib, not the Knox nibs. Wonder if those are the culprit.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I received mine and had to superglue the cap inner lining but it appears to be primed for inking ...'

Haven't inked her up yet too many pens "going" at this time ... Great to hear everyone is pleased ...

+1 Mine arrived last week from an eBay seller. The plastic insert that is supposed to provide the threads for the cap stayed screwed onto the barrel threads, and the cap came off in my hand. Hmm. After some initial puzzlement and a little shellac we seem to be back in business. Otherwise the pen looks great.

ron

So what kind of blue ink is being used in this picture. I don't like the blue black too much but the blue seems beautiful.

Where all minds think alike no one thinks very much

Hi folks - I have one of these pens for about 2 months. Was quite nice but now the cap won't tighten on the pen, tightens a little then "slips" - any fixes for this?

RH

Thanks for posting this review.

These are really cool pens and we sell them for $14.00. You can get in a couple of days vs. 30 days at www.isellpens.com .

Edited by isellpens