The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jeb's Pens Custom Lhotse

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 13:39

Introduction:
First review so I hope I can capture everything about the pen. This is my second pen by John E. Brady of JEB's Pens.
The first was a Nazca which is one heck of a pen.I was impressed enough about the results that I decided to have a
customized pen done by John. The pen is based on the Lhotse model which is a clipless pen. I sent John a drawing,
somewhat to scale and within a day, John had sent me a CAD drawing of the pen with the specs I was looking for. I was
hooked and over the next few weeks, the pen took it's final shape. During our communications, John suggested several
minor changes to the pen and I must say that I would have never thought that these changes would make such a difference
in the final product. So here goes ..........

Appearance & Design:
As I mentioned, the pen was a custom design. The Acrylic that was chosen was called Carrot. Based on what I was seeing,
the name made little sense. But then John sent me a picture of the blank as it was being turned. I will let you decide.

Posted Image

Several days later, John sent me pictures of the final product. I could not wait to have the pen in my hands as it was
everything I thought it would be. When I opened the package, my initial thoughts were wow. The finish on the pen is simply
beautiful. I do not know how John gets the shine that he does but the pen just pops when you look at. There is a depth
to the acrylic and it has a translucence that is fantastic. Remember what it looked like being turned. The end result:

Posted Image

Quality/Dimensions:
Everything about the pen speaks to the time John puts into the build. Everything fits like a glove. There are zero defects
in my humble opinion. It fits my hand perfectly. The final specs on the pen turned out to be:
Length:
Capped: 5.57".
Uncapped: 5.11".
Cap only: 2.375".
Grip: .70" (Length of grip)
Diameter:
Center: .60".
Cap end: .58".
Barrel end: .54".

Nib/Filling System:

The nib is a two toned #6 Steel nib by Meister Nibs. I chose a Broad and have since ground it to a Stub. The nib prior to
being ground was smooth out the box. John offers several nib choices. It is your typical CC Filler and John includes a few
cartridges along with the pen. Here is the Nib and section. I chose to have a straight section and it is very comfortable in
my hand.

Posted Image

Conclusion:

I could not be happier. John produces a quality product and was a pleasure to work with. He spent the time with
me to make sure that everything about the pen was to my liking. As for the cost, I will only say that it was more
than reasonable.

I am a very satisfied customer and would recommend John to anyone considering a custom pen. One last disclaimer, the pictures
were used with John E. Brady's permission.

Edited by avlisyar, 03 March 2012 - 21:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 13:57

Congratulations, a beautiful pen indeed. Enjoy in good health.

#3 inky

inky

Got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:08

Wow, what a transformation, GORGEOUS pen! Does it write as good as it looks? Enjoy.
Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green
Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE
Posted ImageMember since 1-28-11

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 18:07

What's up doc?
Seriously, sweet pen. BTW, how did you get the grip to be bigger diameter than the barrel when there's a step down to the section? :doh:

#5 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 21:46

What's up doc?
Seriously, sweet pen. BTW, how did you get the grip to be bigger diameter than the barrel when there's a step down to the section? :doh:

The section is actually .70 in length. Hope that clears up the confusion.

#6 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:09

What a difference between the blanks colours and the final product. You'd never believe the pen came from that blank looking at it. Agree 1000% with your assessment of John's work. Correct me if I'm wrong but he does this on a wood turning lathe. He is a custom woodworker by original trade. Jim

#7 GemMayhem

GemMayhem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:21

A great review of a gorgeous pen! I always enjoy seeing examples of John's designs and finished pens. It never ceases to amaze me how a matte blank is transformed to take on such graceful shapes and that amazing deep shine. I love John's photo of the blank being turned. Yessir, that would be a carrot! :)

The quality of John's work is outstanding, as is his wonderful customer service. Thanks for sharing this beautiful example with us. Enjoy your new treasure!

#8 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 18:37

Lovely pen.
"Avlisyar", I would be interested in the "diameter" of the "narrowest" part of the grip-section (hopefully in mm.) but 0.00 inches will do.

Thanks& the Best:

tinta
*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#9 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 18:41

A thing of real beauty! Did you grind the nib yourself?

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 19:16

What's up doc?Seriously, sweet pen. BTW, how did you get the grip to be bigger diameter than the barrel when there's a step down to the section? :doh:

The section is actually .70 in length. Hope that clears up the confusion.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never seen that measurement before but it is useful.

#11 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 23:28

A thing of real beauty! Did you grind the nib yourself?

Yes, the grind was by me and is still a work in progress.
I do everything by hand so it takes a while to get it right.

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:28

Excellent work! thanks for sharing.

Does Jeb have a Tibetian connection? I am curious about the names that he gives his pens.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#13 Rajeev

Rajeev

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2012 - 13:51

Amazing Pen Jeb ! You are a true artist. This pen's ethereal.

Avlisyar you have a true masterpiece in your possession. Congratulations !

Sponsored Content

|