Aurora Blue

Sandy1

I love your witty, intelligent reviews - the gorgeous ink colours are almost "gravy"! This one is definitely going on my list.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments!

ABl may not have mass appeal, but when one wants a slightly different Blue, ABl is definitely in the running.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• The Good Captain

• Laura N

I recently tried Aurora Blue from an Inkdrop sample and really enjoyed my trial with it. Thanks for the review.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I recently tried Aurora Blue from an Inkdrop sample and really enjoyed my trial with it. Thanks for the review.

You're welcome!

I'm delighted to see this review. Not only because it highlights a very nice ink, but because seeing the title reminded me of an old song called 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy). It had to be done!

I'm delighted to see this review. Not only because it highlights a very nice ink, but because seeing the title reminded me of an old song called 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy). It had to be done!

:blush:

The chorus. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwAMQax57Q

The song doesn't age particularly well, but it used to be a big number in his concerts. At the ones I went to back in the 1980s, everyone sang along to the chorus. So it's imprinted in my brain.

Too bad, I could use those brain cells now. :)

I am utterly and immensely flattered.

Great review as ever, Sandy and a fantastic colour, but where do we get it at the right price here in the UK?

But I still can't see an answer to my original question.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 11 months later...

I was never going to get Aurora Blue...the Black yes...

Visconti Blue yes (some day)...Aurora blue no.

At my B&M...I do have reflexes...I had the bottle out of the rack before I finished reading, Aurora.

Do you have black was met with 'no'. :crybaby:

I've not run a test on it, other than to dip...a nice blue.

Nice enough I could give away my Waterman Florida Blue with out a second thought.

Of course I had to load it after reading this review...semi-flex KM, Osmia-Faber-Castell 773.

A wider nib was recommended...this in it is semi-flex will be a wetter writer and it is a KM so will be a tad wider than a regular semi-flex Osmai M nib.

Bright on one copy paper, duller on the other...would have helped if I'd remembered what I was using for copy paper :headsmack: .

It was only copy paper...That I'm out of. I don't keep track of copy paper...90 g if I buy it...80g if my wife bought it. :rolleyes:

I have copy paper for my copier.

I have scribbling paper, for my scribbling.

On Strathmore pure cotton, it is a nice solid blue. Easy to write on. That paper (100% cotton) shows no shading of course.It has a nice tone on that paper.

Clairefontaine Veloute` 90 g. A tad less tone, does shade. Is of course a bit crisper...the difference between 100% pure cotton and a 'regular' good French paper.

I could see writing longer passages with this ink. I like it more than I expected too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I was never going to get Aurora Blue...the Black yes...

Visconti Blue yes (some day)...Aurora blue no.

At my B&M...I do have reflexes...I had the bottle out of the rack before I finished reading, Aurora.

Do you have black was met with 'no'. :crybaby:

I've not run a test on it, other than to dip...a nice blue.

Nice enough I could give away my Waterman Florida Blue with out a second thought.

Of course I had to load it after reading this review...semi-flex KM, Osmia-Faber-Castell 773.

A wider nib was recommended...this in it is semi-flex will be a wetter writer and it is a KM so will be a tad wider than a regular semi-flex Osmai M nib.

Bright on one copy paper, duller on the other...would have helped if I'd remembered what I was using for copy paper :headsmack: .

It was only copy paper...That I'm out of. I don't keep track of copy paper...90 g if I buy it...80g if my wife bought it. :rolleyes:

I have copy paper for my copier.

I have scribbling paper, for my scribbling.

On Strathmore pure cotton, it is a nice solid blue. Easy to write on. That paper (100% cotton) shows no shading of course.It has a nice tone on that paper.

Clairefontaine Veloute` 90 g. A tad less tone, does shade. Is of course a bit crisper...the difference between 100% pure cotton and a 'regular' good French paper.

I could see writing longer passages with this ink. I like it more than I expected too.

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with this ink. :thumbup:

I agree that it is in the running to overtake Waterman Serenity (previously Florida Blue), so if I had 15ml of WS left in the bottle, I'd put Aurora Blue on my shopping list, than do a sideXside when ABl arrived.

It is a bit more Violet than WS, and the extent of that difference is quite dependent on the value (light - dark) of what's written. So if I thought WS lost its vibrancy when dark, then I'd be looking at Aurora Blue.

Also, as you mention, vibrancy also is very dependent on the paper, especially in the case of common copy/print paper. If ABl was still not sufficiently vibrant, I may well reach for a Sapphire-Blue ink.

The writing experience with this ink is so very enjoyable that it is a good pick for those who write at length.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 1 year later...

A review packed with serious information, yet the reviewer does not take himself seriously. Thoroughly entertaining and informative!

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

Of course, I've had a bottle of this for some time now and it's a great ink. Yet another that is absolutely first-class on Moleskine paper. I would still suggest F or EF (XF) nibes for those books anyway.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

a fantastic review for a fantastic color .
Thanks.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Grumble...grumble....Aurora blue.......stuff looks so good when Sandy does a review....grumble grumble, empty 4001 Royal blue back into a bottle...wash pen in a hurry.

:doh: have to admit I'd not read deep enough to remember I'd replied. but that was a semi-flex KM nib.

I put the semi-flex B nib of my 400n tortoise on my 605...and it's now filled with Aurora Blue.

Still a tinge towards purple....only did a poorer 80g Rossler Buetten paper notebook and some good 90g M&K paper....it did well on both.

Again for shading I think semi-flex is too wet for this ink. I should try it in a true vintage springy regular flex in M or B.

There are a number of inks that shade better in M&F rather than B or semi-flex.

In I vowed to get down to a 5 pen rotation....I'll not try a good springy regular flex in M..to chase more shading.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Wow great review!

Nice blue overall but a little too 'washed out' IMHO

I know a couple of people who swear by it though...

Eventually you will get into shading inks, many of them are considered, 'washed out', wishy-washy or pastel by them that use only vivid, monotone supersaturated inks....just like eventually you will own a B nib.

It's not washed out really....it's 'mellow'. :P Relaxed in the shade. B)

You do need both inks...and you will have much more fun with two tone shading inks than boring monotone inks.

Comprehensive, nerdy and quirky funny. I love your reviews!

Do you keep the hard copies, and if so are they bound somehow? That would be quite a collection to behold.

I agree it is mellow. Maybe 'washed out' was a poor choice of words...

I do own it and do have a wide variety of nibs including B, BB, and many italics and stubs and do enjoy certain less saturated well shading inks.

That being said, I still find myself gravitating towards some of my other blues (Diamine Majestic Blue, Private Reserve Ebony Blue, Visconti Blue, and Waterman Florida Blue -or whatever its now called- are pretty much on my usual rotation).

Its a nice blue with nice shading, I just don't ink up my pens with it much...

I do love their Black though...

I'm glad....you are more advanced nib and ink wise than I thought.

I chase inks that shade mostly. Some day though I'll get the Visconti blue..even if it is not a shading ink.

DA Royal Blue is a nice darker royal blue mono-tone ink that tinges towards purple. I gave away my Florida Blue when I got that ink. It is wetter.

Very well written review Sandy. I have not quite burned through my first bottle of Aurora Blue, getting close. I initially fell into the "this ink is too violet camp" The more I write with it the more I enjoy it. As you mentioned the ink is dry yet well lubricated. Your reviews are amazingly comprehensive, thank you.

Michael

Edited by mbradley