The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

X10 Klein Barclay Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:33

Just received this X10 Klein Barclay Fine Hooded Fountain Pen today and just did a really quick rundown of this fountain pen. I must say quite a small pocket fountain pen!

The packaging is just simple plastic wrapper with no instructions for this particular fountain pen.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The weigh in but after I've inked it. I don't believe it's even half full of ink(?) Still learning how to fully fill the "bladder." Any ideas on how-to?

Posted Image

An "exploded" view of the X10 Klein Barclay

Posted Image

A comparison with the Kaweco Kalligrafie Pen.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The dimunitive X10 Klein Barclay in hand.

Posted Image

A very quick jotting sample of this particular fountain pen, and I mean "quick" writing on Bloc Rhodia No 13 Rhodia 80 g/m2 21.3lb paper!

Posted Image

It is very smooth I must say! Not scratchy/toothy at all. Very surprising for a less than $12.00USD fountain pen!

The clip shot.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The clip tension is quite "heavy" and in fact "feels" heavier than the Lamy Safari/Vista and Pelikan M1000/M205.

The nib shot of this ultra mini pocket fountain pen.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The feed and nib appears to be slightly off center in relation to the "hood," but did I say that it does write smoothly!

Overall, I'm quite pleasantly surprised with this--what I call, ultra mini pocket fountain pen. Still too new (got it today via USPS) and have to take it with me as an EDC to work. I'll have to see how this little one holds up. That is, whether it leaks or not, clip loosens after normal repeated clip on/off etc., etc., etc. Also when writing, my preference is no posting, but I'll have to in this instance because of the size. I can see how it'll have a "ring" formation on the barrel soon enough. But this is a functional writing instrument and not a shelf/safe queen. Now, I wonder if this can be "customized" to a 1.1mm? By the way, kind of sort of looks like a Fisher Space Pen eh?

That's just my mini-quick overview of the X10 Klein Barclay Fine Hooded Nib Fountain Pen.

Enjoy!
See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Sponsored Content

#2 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:26

Gratulations - it's a cute thingy.

Usually it comes under the label "Lanbitou Pocket Rocket" or "Lanbitou Pocket Pen" and it seems your label is just taking the Chinese one and reselling it. Your Bülow converter is a new addition though (maybe it's just a sticker, in the Lanbitou you can't remove the converter) - when filling, just take your time: press, wait, press, wait - until there are no more bubbles coming out. You can remove the plastic/metal hood from the sac and see how it fills, usually a bit more than half full is normal.
Greetings,
Michael

#3 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 22:48

Gratulations - it's a cute thingy.

Usually it comes under the label "Lanbitou Pocket Rocket" or "Lanbitou Pocket Pen" and it seems your label is just taking the Chinese one and reselling it. Your Bülow converter is a new addition though (maybe it's just a sticker, in the Lanbitou you can't remove the converter) - when filling, just take your time: press, wait, press, wait - until there are no more bubbles coming out. You can remove the plastic/metal hood from the sac and see how it fills, usually a bit more than half full is normal.

Just looked up Lanbitou Pocket Rocket (I'm sure I missed that somehow), and it appears identical!

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:24

It sure is. I did a review of one a couple years ago. :)

http://www.fountainp...u-mini-missile/

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 18:26

These are great, don't let Platinum Pigmented Blue dry out in it like someone I know...

#6 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 18:48

I wanted one of these but it seems the chinese seller on e-bay will not ship to the UK

#7 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:11

I wanted one of these but it seems the chinese seller on e-bay will not ship to the UK

According to xFountainPens<dot>com, they ship to the U.K.

#8 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:44

According to xFountainPens<dot>com, they ship to the U.K.

Thank you I just ordered one

#9 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:56

After a week of EDC[ing] this pocket fountain pen with me to work and putting it to it's paces, I'm surprised and impressed with it. It is a pleasant little writing instrument and I find no leaking or seeping of ink so far! What I do find is that it does get slippery, since the entire unit is of polished metal. Also, I tend to catch myself having a higher grip on the barrel when I write with it and in doing so the pen/nib turns and begins to skip. One would have to have a lower grip on that recessed ribbed area to have the "ideal" writing nib to paper ink flow without skipping.

That's my one week's observations thus far with this x10 Klein Barclay Fountain Pen.

#10 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2012 - 16:56

I received mine today and after a few times of posting it the barrel is very scratched - not impressed!

Sponsored Content

|