The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer 7-30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 21:32

OK, like flat tops. I don't collect any particular type of pen just those that take my fancy and that will write well. Perhaps that's why this is Sheaffer flat-top No3. :)

Posted Image

So, you are thinking 7-30, what does that mean? In the mid 1920's Sheaffer started selling pens in the flat top design made from plastic (radlite). The pen that most associate with the name 'Sheaffer flat top' is the classic Lifetime model in jade.

Posted Image

It would be strange for any manufacturer to only sell a flagship model. Sheaffer had a wide range of other models and the next step down from the Lifetime flat top was the 7-30. Deciphering the code shows that the pen cost $7 and had a guarantee for 30 years. This pen is a 1928 model, so was guaranteed until 1958. Surely long enough you would think but most buyers opted to pay an extra dollar and buy the lifetime model. The result is that there are a lot less 7-30s around than there are lifetime flat tops.

Posted Image

Comparing the 7-30 and the lifetime, there are relatively few differences. The basic dimensions are the same, where they differ (apart from the guarantee) is that the 7-30 has a black end to the barrel and cap which features the 7-30 legend) and the nib. The 7-30 nib is of equal size but is plainer with the Sheaffer's name, 7-30 and 'Made in USA'.

Posted Image

The 7-30 is a large pen at 136mm capped but is not heavy due to it's plastic construction. The pen fills with Sheaffer's lever fill system, so you know that it will be reliable. The large nib is smooth and writes with a medium line but is very firm as many vintage Sheaffer nibs are. There is little to go wrong with this pen which is why many are still usable day to day.

A writing sample in Montblanc Royal Blue.

Posted Image

So what can I say in conclusion? It's an interesting addition to my collection of Sheaffer flat-tops. It was a bit more discoloured in real life than the photos showed but this is common in jade radlite pens and good specimens cost a lot more. How much? £35, so not a great outlay for such an interesting pen.

Finally all three flat tops together:

Posted Image
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

Sponsored Content

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:12

Initially, the 7-30 was distinguished by the black end caps and the double bands. The double bands were a bit of a hit so they went onto lifetimes only a few months later. The black 7-30 was in the thinner "T" size of .56" cap diameter compared to the full .59" of a lifetime but the jades seem to always have been the full .59". The late single banded black 7-30's would be full .59" pens.

While it was $1.75 (not a $1) lower than the life time I agree that it was a terrible price point at which the earlier Secretary and later 7-30's suffered for. If you went cheaper and for 30 years you bought the 5-30 while this is a standard as far as thickness everything else is very similar to the OS flattops.

Roger W.

Posted Image
7-30's, Secretary's and Lifetimes

Edited by Roger W., 26 February 2012 - 01:14.

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:28

That's awesome. I like the black ends better than all jade. Looks nicer IMO.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17

nice! malcy, the hand writing is quite nice too!!

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:17

very nice review :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|