The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero 1077

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonA

JonA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:38

First pen review. What do I say?

I liked the look of this pen when I took it out of the package, especially once I felt how heavy it was. It has a simple yet fancy-enough design and it isn't plagued with chintzy adornments (like fake jewels, etc.).

Pen:      Hero 1077

Color:    Black w/ silver accents
Material: Mostly metal (or metal covered plastic?)

Weight (capped and filled):   1 1/8 oz.
Weight (filled without cap):    3/4 oz.
Length (cap to end):          5 3/8 in.
Length (nib to end):          4 7/8 in.
Width (not counting clip):      7/16 in.

Fill system:  Screw-up removable pump
Cartridges:   Only standard fit; doesn't fit Parker cartridges (I checked)

I'm rather impressed with the way this pen writes, as the ink I have put in it has a tendency to dry out, but not with this pen (so far). I filled it with a black water soluble calligraphy ink by Winsor & Newton.

It is a little scratchy when writing, but it doesn't noticeably skip.

Ratings:
Appearance.........7
Construction.......5 (it might be too early to tell, though)
Weight.............10 (I like the heavier pens, and this one's weight is very comfortable)
Dimensions.........10 (fits in my pockets and in my hands, what more can I want? :) )
Nib & Performance..4 (like I said, it's a little scratchy, so it takes more effort to move it)
Filling System.....10 (it does the job, and I don't have any other system to compare it to; no mess!)
Cost/Value.........8 (I got my $6.90 worth)
Conclusion.........7.3

This is an overall decent pen. I can see myself using it regularly without it giving me much fuss. Granted, something could always go wrong, but for now it is holding up very nicely and I am rather pleased I made this purchase. The only real downfall, of course, is that I purchased this pen hoping I could use some of my life supply of Parker ink cartridges, but they alas do not fit in this pen at all (they won't even break open when inserted). But the filling system is easy enough, and it works well with this cheap ink I bought, so that makes this pen something that I can actually use with little trouble.

Thanks China! :)

Oh, and if there's anything else you want to know, just ask!

JonA

Attached Images

• H1077ws.jpg
  • H1077c.jpg
  • H1077b.jpg
  • H1077a.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 17:25

Another unsung Hero, thanks for the insight!
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 17:42

Wasteland, ugh, what a pun! :notworthy1: I'm sorry I didn't think of it first.

Jon, nice pen. thanks for the review. Be careful using calligraphy inks in fountain pens, most have some shellac or other thickener that can clog your pen. I assume this is one of the blue capped inks.

#4 JonA

JonA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:07

Jon, nice pen. thanks for the review. Be careful using calligraphy inks in fountain pens, most have some shellac or other thickener that can clog your pen. I assume this is one of the blue capped inks.

Yup. Blue cap. :)

The only thing I've noticed with this pen really, which I notice on my other cheaper pens, is that the black paint on the cap is scratching off where the end of the clip touches along the side of the cap.

Detracts nothing from its functionality, of course.

Jon

Sponsored Content

|