Waterman Phileas

Macuser

The Kultur was offered in Europe, and I've read that it is discountinued. My description would be that it is a "school pen" version of the Phileas. It is lighter weight than the Phileas, and as lisa described it is plain in comparison to the Phileas. Most I have seen have been transparent or translucent, but I've seen pictures of solid colors. I have a transparent yellow and a frosted purple (the frosted purple wasn't what I expected). At one time I found prices from $6 to $20+.

ht

edited to correct description...I was in a too big of a hurry...

Edited by ht1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macuser

• helius

• lisa

• Junk Collector

Thank you so much for the information.

Are the Kultur's still being produced? I have seen them on eBay before, but not through other online pen stores.

If they write as nice as the Phileas, this may solve my design dillema. I really prefer chrome/steel over gold, and solid colors over the art deco pattern.

I would welcome to hear other's experience with the Kultur.

Nice review!

I think that I have a thing for Phileases (Phileai?). Here is my collection

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/guitarman19853/FPN/P1010289Medium.jpg

The black on up top is a medium nib that I paid full price for about 3 weeks ago :doh:

The 3 kits I bought for $9.99 each at OfficeMax on Friday. Two are mediums and will be given as christmas gifts and one is a fine which I am keeping for myself :)

http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

The 3 kits I bought for $9.99 each at OfficeMax on Friday.

Whaat!? You got the WHOLE SET WITH AN INK BOTTLE for just $9.99 ?!!! What an incredible deal !!! Congratulations !!! (I previously thought that the 9.99 offer meant just the pen.) :drool:

Whaat!? You got the WHOLE SET WITH AN INK BOTTLE for just $9.99 ?!!! What an incredible deal !!! Congratulations !!! (I previously thought that the 9.99 offer meant just the pen.) :drool:

I found out about it through this forum. Here is the thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=21405

http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

Yep, overhere the Phileas comes without the convertor. Convertor + ink would be >€10 already not to mention the 4 cartridges. That would make the Phileas in that kit free + you'd get a ~$5 bonus.

To reply to an earlier poster's question: I have two of the Kultur pens; they are both terrific writers in a fine nib. Doesn't matter a whit to me what a nib is made of as long as it writes smooth and untemperamental. These are. I prefer their looks to the bling of the Phileas (mine's a red). I also get a kick out of the clear feed covering; it certainly will draw comments from others--

To reply to an earlier poster's question: I have two of the Kultur pens; they are both terrific writers in a fine nib. Doesn't matter a whit to me what a nib is made of as long as it writes smooth and untemperamental. These are. I prefer their looks to the bling of the Phileas (mine's a red). I also get a kick out of the clear feed covering; it certainly will draw comments from others--

Thank you. I think I will keep my eye out for a Kultur on eBay.

• 3 months later...

After reading these posts I can now no longer use my Phileas without staring at its gap and that line in the marbling.

I've noticed other people staring at them too.

"Sell you cleverness and buy bewilderment." Masnavi

The Phileas nib is half gold plated, Kultur isn't, it's all steel. I can only compare the F nibs and I've done that in the quote above. Thet are NOT the same.

The Kultur isn't always all steel. There are also Kultur fp's with gold plated nib. See for example this thread.

I've had a black phileas for a month now. at first i wasn't too impressed. this pen grows on you with use. once you get past the plasticky outside, you begin to see a utilitarian writing instrument. it performs consistently and without fanfare. i would hate to have a pretty but unusable pen.

Chihiro- How did you know my name was Chihiro?

Haku- I have known you since you were very small.

I loved my first Phileas, red w/medium nib. Mighty smooth, much fun. Unfortunately, I dropped it on a hard surface and bent the nib. Haven't been able to smooth it to its original smoothness. I bought another, blue, fine nib. Not as smooth as my original medium. Nice pen for the $, though.

Tom

In the U.S, Waterman Phileas can be found in great numbers at Office Depot. Around $30.

If you get lucky you might find a box set at lower price, see previous post about Phileas.

It is a great pen.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

QUOTE (Anne-Sophie @ Apr 14 2007, 06:08 PM)
In the U.S, Waterman Phileas can be found in great numbers at Office Depot. Around $30.

Except every single one I've seen came with a medium nib. mad.gif

"For it is the Doom of Men that they forget." - Merlin, Excalibur

Except every single one I've seen came with a medium nib. :angry:

If it's within 4 weeks (I think) of your purchase, you can do a nib exchange with Waterman/Parker. For the price of sending your pen in, you get your choice of XF, F, M, and B nibs. A word of warning though, their XF and F nibs are relatively scratchy especially when compared to the inexpensive Chinese/Japanese pens.

Has anybody in here ever noticed any of the stampings or engravings on their Phileas nib to not be fully stamped into the nib or to not be stamped well on the nib? I recently purchased a brand new Phileas fine point and the letter "F" is not fully stamped on the nib. The middle horizontal line which makes up the letter "F" is missing from the letter "F".

Does this manufacturing ommission make my Phileas an ugly looking pen when noticing that part of the stamped letter "F" is missing? Will my Phileas ever become a collector's item because the "F" is not fully stamped on the nib?

Shangas: I know what you mean about seeing people's handwriting. I love the letters of both my grandmothers - their writing was so

beautiful compared to my henscratching. My mother learned penmanship through all those repetitive handwriting drills she had to do as

as child. Her penmanship is very nice, too, although it's harder to tell from the crayon sample. She was complaining this weekend about

her box of crayons not writing too well - she bought a box at the dollar store just to write that letter to me. She's definitely getting the

big Crayola Crayon box for her upcoming birthday!

I have NEVER seen my grandmother write with a pen of ANY kind, and I have NEVER seen a single sample of her handwriting, and I've known her for a full 20 years. I've never seen her handwriting. I'm very curious to see what it's like.

My brand new Phlieas had, still has, a scuff on the nib. These are great pens but not made to esthetic perfection. There are far too many made for them to become a collectors item. Don't worry about the F, just enjoy the pens.

Now, tell us how you like them! :) Do they write like you expected? Do you like the linewidth?

Has anybody in here ever noticed any of the stampings or engravings on their Phileas nib to not be fully stamped into the nib or to not be stamped well on the nib? I recently purchased a brand new Phileas fine point and the letter "F" is not fully stamped on the nib. The middle horizontal line which makes up the letter "F" is missing from the letter "F".

Does this manufacturing ommission make my Phileas an ugly looking pen when noticing that part of the stamped letter "F" is missing? Will my Phileas ever become a collector's item because the "F" is not fully stamped on the nib?

None of the Phileas nibs that I've come across (probably around two dozen) have had this problem. To be fair, I haven't examined them all with a 40x loupe. However, they have all looked fine to the naked eye.