Pilot Mechanical Pencil ... H1005/1003/pil50028?

Technicolors

Hello.

I currently own what I believe to be a Pilot H1003 that I have used for nearly 20 years now. I am looking for somewhere to purchase a 0.5 version of this pencil. I see that they are no longer in production, so I came here to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction?

thank you!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Technicolors

• rroossinck

• Wendell

• rockydoggy

Hello.

I currently own what I believe to be a Pilot H1003 that I have used for nearly 20 years now. I am looking for somewhere to purchase a 0.5 version of this pencil. I see that they are no longer in production, so I came here to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction?

thank you!

Please post photographs as they are easier to relate to than catalog or model numbers.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thank you. Here is a picture. These were also known as Vanishing Point pencils. The tip is retractable.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h363/TechnicoIors/PilotH-1003.jpg

I bought mine about 6 years a go at Office Depot in Canada. Amazing automatic pencil! I haven't seen it anywhere in Japan where I live now.

Thank you. Here is a picture. These were also known as Vanishing Point pencils. The tip is retractable.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h363/TechnicoIors/PilotH-1003.jpg

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

These are, by far, my favorite retractable mechanical pencils and they're nearly impossible to find now that they're apparently out of production. I still have a couple in use (that I protect like gold).

Other retractables that I've found over the years include the Y & C Grip500, the Rotring Tikky (a early, retractable model), the Alvin Draft-Tec Retrac, the Rotring Initial, and the Pental Technica-X (all 0.5). Of these, I like the Initial and the Technica-X the best--they're both sturdier than the others and their retractable mechanisms works like the Pilot H1005 (ie, like a regular ballpoint pen). Unfortunately, I find that although the Initial is superior to the Technica-X in terms of materials (metal vs. plastic), it's too heavy and its metal grip can get slippery fast; the Technica-X feels more comfortable to use for long periods. All that said, the Pilot H1005 is still at the top of my list in terms of retractable pencils. Now if I could just find some more to keep as back-ups . . . .

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that others are at least fans of these pencils. The problem is that you all would likely keep them for yourselves if you did happen to find one. :happyberet: I'll still be on the lookout and if anyone has any info for where to purchase one I would appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck, Technicolor. I've been watching for them for several years now, and still haven't found one. I continue to kick myself for not buying the one on the hook at an Office Max about 5 years ago for $15. They'll pop up on eBay once in a while, but be prepared to shell out pretty big bucks for them.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

One of the largest dealers of out-of-production Japanese mechanical pencils is Pencils 11. If he doesn't have an H1005, he might know someone who does.

http://pencils11.blogspot.com/

Note that production quality of the H1005/3 changed over the years. Read this discussion.

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2006/08/pilot-vanishing-point-h1005-mechanical.html

• 1 year later...

I still have a dozen new in the original box. Use my old ones every day.

If I had a dozen, I'd sell him one. There is no way I would ever use a dozen of anything, except eggs, in my lifetime.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I still have a dozen new in the original box. Use my old ones every day.

If I had a dozen, I'd sell him one. There is no way I would ever use a dozen of anything, except eggs, in my lifetime.

+1

Everything is impermanent.

• 3 years later...

I have one PILOT H1005 Retractable Vanishing Point Mechanical Pencil. It is in a very great condition, like new. I only have a single one so it is very precious. But if anyone would like to have it I will gladly sell it for 200.00 USD plus shipping. Anyone interested?

^ Hello and welcome to FPN! You probably didn't notice the site policy regarding pen sales. All sales are done through the Marketplace, in the Classifieds section. However, only GOLD members can post in the classifieds section, not newly joining members. Please read the Member Level topic. Meanwhile, it would be best if you edit your post to something like "* delete*". Thank you.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small