So, Has Anyone's Twsbi Not Broken?

Koyote

I got one of the initial offering of 530s that appeared here, just before the official public release. It has spent about a week since without ink in it, and apart from the known and resolved problem with the earlier version of the piston, it's given no trouble. I treat it with the same degree of care I do my other pens, which means going about the world in a shirt pocket and being applied to everyday writing duties but not being dropped or used to pry open paint cans.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Icywolfe

• Freddy

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took my 530 apart and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to reassemble. After viewing several YouTube videos, I finally realized the outer shaft of the piston was broken! No wonder it wouldn't go back together! Anyway, that piece was promptly replaced.

I must say, it's not easy to get the pen back together even when the parts aren't broken, but is a worthwhile learning experience ... Not my favorite pen, but well worth its price...

HP

Edited by Hennypenny

The sky IS falling. C. Little

My 530 broke.

I didn't baby it though. I carried around in my purse without a case and then carted it around India for 3 months. It worked the whole time without a skip or a murmur of protest, although some cracks developed in the barrel, but then when I got the pen home and cleaned it out for a well-deserved vacation in my pen box it gave up the ghost. I can't put it back together now because the crack in the barrel popped.

Basically, what I'm saying is, yes my TWSBI broke but I don't blame the pen. It lasted longer than a lot of other pens would have.

I use my TWSBI 540 every work day. Its either in my pocket or my hand.

I dont have a desk. I'm on the move constantly. It gets dropped. Left capless for a bit. Closed in the middle of a bundle of notes.

The only problem I have with it is finding it... and that user error to be fair.

It fills with no mess, it looks awesome (i get comments regularly) It just does exactly the job I want it to. Also, I had a close call last month when I thought I'd lost it... I felt a bit sick but didn't panic... worst case scenario, I would buy another. I cant say the same for other pens. To get the same bang for the buck you need to pay a lot more...

If I had to replace a pilot VP, or a homo sappiens I might actually be sick!!!

So in summary, its a great pen!

If you are a geek like me its even better! Also, if you are not a geek, and just want a good fountain pen, its also great. Worst case scenario you dont like it, but to be honest.. I've had sushi dinners that were more expensive!

I think the only gripe I have with it, is that I'd like to post it, but it feels off balance. So I'll wait for the TWSBI mini and micarta and vac 700 and see what comes.

I dont think its possible to go wrong with a TWSBI. Even if it goes wrong it gets put right...

Maybe its just a case of every silver cloud has a dark lining..............

I have had one of the original 530's as a daily writer with no major problems. There is some crazing going on with the fine threads at the top of the piston mechanism but that's only cosmetic.

Honestly, it is likely that so many problems get reported simply because there are so many twsibis out there getting heavily used.

For the price I would still be happy even if my 530 broke months ago, and I expect it will keep going for another year at least.

No problems at all with my new 540. I've been using it heavily every single day for the past week since I got it and so far so good.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I must update my previous post stating that my 540 was fine. It's not fine any longer. A crack appeared in the nib section that I hadn't noticed until I picked it back up today.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

For sixty bucks, what's the worst that can happen? Hell, my first wife cost me >$100K.

Ok, I just sprayed Irish Breakfast tea all over my monitor. You owe me.

I take that back: after $100k, I give you a lifetime pass! I hope you enjoy your pen, Koy.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I must update my previous post stating that my 540 was fine. It's not fine any longer. A crack appeared in the nib section that I hadn't noticed until I picked it back up today.

Yeah, that's the issue that seems to be the most common with the first 540s. Email Speedy (or Philip -- I'm now unclear as to whose email it is) and they'll set you up with a replacement.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

After two (2) months of daily use, so far so good.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Yeah, that's the issue that seems to be the most common with the first 540s. Email Speedy (or Philip -- I'm now unclear as to whose email it is) and they'll set you up with a replacement.

Thanks. I figured it could be taken care of in short order. I was just starting to write with it more often so this is a little set back.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

The crack should be essentially a completely cosmetic issue. It shouldn't completely crack, and even if it did you shouldn't really be getting any ink between the nib unit and the section plastic anyway. I'd continue using it with confidence until you get the replacement section. That's what I did when I had this problem.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

For sixty bucks, what's the worst that can happen? Hell, my first wife cost me >$100K.

Ok, I just sprayed Irish Breakfast tea all over my monitor. You owe me.

I take that back: after $100k, I give you a lifetime pass! I hope you enjoy your pen, Koy.

Jon, at a certain point in life it all becomes relative!

I just picked up my new TWSBI smoke medium nib Diamond 530 at the post office. And it is not broken!! Woo hoo!

It feels more substantial than I was expecting. I wondered about how much sturdier it would be compared to a Platinum Preppy. It feels quite durable. With all of the reports of breakage and cracks, it must either be rather brittle plastic, or prone to break from over tightening. To date, the only pens I have owned that have broken and left a piece of the barrel in the cap have been Sheaffer Balance II pens.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I have two 530's one always filled with Black-widow and the other with KTC. No problems and I don't "baby" those two. They are always rolling around my briefcase or pockets, built like tanks and they get dropped a lot. I also have a 540 that developed a cracked section, contacted Speedy and within days received 2 replacements. The crack may be cosmetic and still on the pen.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.