Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen

Tom Lynch

Hi everyone!

I've posted a review of the Schrade Tactical fountain on my blog:

WentSketching

I hope you can check it out!

You gotta love a pen that can crush bone for under 30 bucks!!!

Let me know what you think!

Tom, NYC

post-77457-0-60572600-1329444472.jpg

post-77457-0-77751300-1329444342.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Lynch

• KrazyIvan

• mcbender

• Scribble Monboddo

This type of notice I think is probably within the rules of this forum, but in the future you may want to post them directly in the review section.

The pen looks really interesting and reminds me of the "Tactical Carry" heavy Danitrio-sourced fountain pens Winedoc used to sell in the classifieds.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Hey Mooshi!

I can assure you, it's pretty tough. You even need to thread it to post the cap.

That's neat! So long as it holds up as well as the tactical-ness implies, it'd be a great addition to any EDC. :D

I have one of these too. It's a very solid feeling pen, despite actually being a lot lighter than it looks (it's made of aluminium).

It writes very well for the price (it has a large stainless steel Chinese "IPG" nib, but it's honestly not bad). I find I don't use it that much, I prefer my other pens, but it's a great pen for the price point. It also comes with an interchangeable rollerball section which you can swap in to use with Schmidt rollerball cartridges.

The main issue this pen has is that most converters don't fit inside the barrel (I think it's too narrow inside, and narrower at the back than closer to the section). The Monteverde mini-converter works well with this pen, and has the largest capacity of the miniature converters I've been able to find. A "standard international" converter does not fit.

Awesome Mac!

I've heard that converters don't fit the Schrade... thanks for the mini converter tip; going to try it.

I agree, it doesn't have the every day appeal, but it's a great pocket pen that can knock around.

Tom, NYC

I have one of these too. It's a very solid feeling pen, despite actually being a lot lighter than it looks (it's made of aluminium).

It writes very well for the price (it has a large stainless steel Chinese "IPG" nib, but it's honestly not bad). I find I don't use it that much, I prefer my other pens, but it's a great pen for the price point. It also comes with an interchangeable rollerball section which you can swap in to use with Schmidt rollerball cartridges.

The main issue this pen has is that most converters don't fit inside the barrel (I think it's too narrow inside, and narrower at the back than closer to the section). The Monteverde mini-converter works well with this pen, and has the largest capacity of the miniature converters I've been able to find. A "standard international" converter does not fit.

quite original :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Ah! Welcome to the Dark Side of the pen world Ivan!

Let me know how you like your Schrade... I'm sure it will help wipe out the remnants of the Rebel Alliance "in one swift stroke!"

Tom, NYC

(Moff Tarkin)

just ordered mine today. :)

In these troubled times, I have sent collection-duplicate Parker 45 fountain pens

to United States Marines for writing. I will defer to them the appropriate instuments

for fighting. :notworthy1: Don't poke people with your fountain pen.

In the Lone Star State, it is LAMY Safari in the shirt pocket and Colt 1911 on the hip.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Tom, I'm sure it's a nice pen, but the idea of buying a pen with a capability of smashing through the bone of someone's temple and killing them, or crushing through their sternum has fortunately never previously entered into my reality, let alone as a favorable attribute of a writing instrument.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Ah! Sam you are right... never occurred to me either!

In fact it was the design that I found most interesting... looks like a Batman prop.

And it's well crafted... but I found that the barb at the end amusing... it isn't for making designs in sugar cookies!

Besides, it's not required that you drop a man with it.

Best,

Tom, NYC

Tom, I'm sure it's a nice pen, but the idea of buying a pen with a capability of smashing through the bone of someone's temple and killing them, or crushing through their sternum has fortunately never previously entered into my reality, let alone as a favorable attribute of a writing instrument.

I have a Kubotan key chain, but stopped carrying it when it poked a hole in my pants pocket. :rolleyes:

Interesting pen you linked to there, and nice drawings. That movie is on my Netflix queue.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Never? Seems like you have an impoverished fantasy life. :mellow:

Nope, never until this thread. I'm not a pacifist, and have had my share of plenty of lethal weapons before, during, and after my 4 years in the US Navy, and have seen various household items used in various tv shows & movies--but other than seeing a BIC used for an emergency tracheotomy, the last thing I want to be thinking about when shopping for, picking up, or using a fountain pen is seeing its capability to stab, maim, crush through bone, or kill someone. But that's just me.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

You might think differently if you had a pen thief on the loose. ;)

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

You can't reeeaaaallly call it tactical if you have to unscrew the cap. I mean if you are holding back your attacker with one hand while they are trying to choke you and reaching out to get the pen off your desk with your free hand intending to pop the cap off and slam the nib into the attackers throat it's not going to work if you need both hands or your mouth to hold the cap as you unscrew it. You need to pop the cap off quickly with one hand and slam that pen home in one fell swoop. Ok so I've seen the Bourne movies to many times but that bic pen Jason used worked like a champ!