Monteverde Refills For Lamy Ballpoint Pens - Wow!

JML

I just received some of the new Monteverde Soft Roll refills for pens that accept the Lamy M16 ballpoint refill. They're the first aftermarket alternative for Lamy ballpoints, and they're excellent! I bought the medium point in blue, blue-black, and black. They fit perfectly in my Lamy 2000 and Safari ballpoint pens, and write MUCH smoother and "faster" than the OEM Lamy medium ballpoint refills - even smoother than the broad Lamy ballpoints. The blue is the smoothest, then the blue-black, and then the black (just like most other blue ballpoints are smoother than black ballpoints of the same style). No skipping so far, nice colors, and no smudges or globs. The blues are darker than the Lamy blue, however.

I think they're even smoother than the Soft Flow Parker-style refills. And they feel even smoother than the earlier Monteverde refills that substitute for the Lamy/DIN mini-refills used in multi-color ballpoint pens.

Edited by JML

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JML

• 51ISH

• VanRocket

• fpn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Yes I was disappointed with the OEM M16 refills, they seem slow to start and the ink is very light on paper.

I warmed up the M16 refill in hot water, and it was much better, but can't do that every time.

The Vista ballpoint is a fine pen, I like it, have a white one, but the refill puts me off from using it.

Might have to buy one of these new refills that you mention.

This is great! I'll have to give them a try. I have a few Lamy ballpoints, a 2000 included, and I find the writing experience with the M16 to be just okay.

Thanks for letting us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Monteverde refills today and they are MUCH better than the Lamy M16. I feel like I have a new pen!

• 3 months later...

I got my Monteverde Refills last month from Ryman in the UK and I have been using it till now in my lamy 2000 ball point pens. I am so happy with the performance of Monteverde refills. They are high quality and very smooth to write with.

The reason that I choose Lamy products are due to its unique design. However, their own lamy ballpoint refills, to put it bluntly, are totally trash especially the black lamy bp refill (very dry and light). I'd rather choose a BIC CRYSTAL than using the lamy's own bp.

This is great! I'll have to give them a try. I have a few Lamy ballpoints, a 2000 included, and I find the writing experience with the M16 to be just okay.

+1

I got my Monteverde Refills last month from Ryman in the UK and I have been using it till now in my lamy 2000 ball point pens. I am so happy with the performance of Monteverde refills. They are high quality and very smooth to write with.

The reason that I choose Lamy products are due to its unique design. However, their own lamy ballpoint refills, to put it bluntly, are totally trash especially the black lamy bp refill (very dry and light). I'd rather choose a BIC CRYSTAL than using the lamy's own bp.

+1

Guess I will have to give these a try....I found the M16 just about unuseable on the cheap paper we have to use at work...it sits in the draw untouched....anyone got a link so I know I have the right one??

+1

+1

Guess I will have to give these a try....I found the M16 just about unuseable on the cheap paper we have to use at work...it sits in the draw untouched....anyone got a link so I know I have the right one??

you can order some from ryman's own website:http://www.ryman.co.uk/search-page/?term=montevered,

or if you are in the uk, you may find the local ryman stationery shops in most cities. You can go there to buy one and try.

Also, I noticed that cultpens.com also supplies this type of refill.

The price is also cheapter than Lamy's own refill. In the UK, each Lamy refill cost about 3.99~4.99 pounds. The Montevered cost around 5 pounds for two refills.

You can read more about the differeces between these refills here with clear pictures attached: http://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/category/lamy/

+1

+1

you can order some from ryman's own website:http://www.ryman.co.uk/search-page/?term=montevered,

or if you are in the uk, you may find the local ryman stationery shops in most cities. You can go there to buy one and try.

Also, I noticed that cultpens.com also supplies this type of refill.

The price is also cheapter than Lamy's own refill. In the UK, each Lamy refill cost about 3.99~4.99 pounds. The Montevered cost around 5 pounds for two refills.

You can read more about the differeces between these refills here with clear pictures attached: http://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/category/lamy/

Thank You muchly... :thumbup:

That blue looks great ( for a BP :roflmho:)

Thank You muchly... :thumbup:

That blue looks great ( for a BP :roflmho:)

I have a LAMY BP sitting in the drawer also. Never brought another because of the blue ink.

I had the same problem with the newest (May 2012)Cross blue refills...faint and dry.

• 5 months later...

I have just bought some Monteverde refills for my Lamy M16 based ballpoints. I was fed up with returning Lamy refills to Germany because although I got excellent service and free replacements, these proved just as bad as the originals ...... running dry a few days from new, and being generally dry and 'stiff' to write with.

The Monteverdes are hugely better and come with a strong recommendation from me. I'm a big fan of Lamy products, but the M16 refills are among the poorest ballpoints I have used!

Lifelong daily fountain pen user

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to the above - I added a Red refill - and its just as good as the blue. Highly recommended

Lifelong daily fountain pen user

• 5 weeks later...

As an update to the above - I added a Red refill - and its just as good as the blue. Highly recommended

I purchased a Monteverde Soft roll red refill to fit my Parker and I find it writes very smoothly and doesn't skip or hard start. The only downside (for me, personally) is that the color is too bright. I find it so bright that in my eyes it looks nearly pink. I would have very much preferred something closer to burgundy than to pink but I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

I don't know if you guys are talking about the small D1 size refills, but I got the blue black to put in a multi-pen and, yes -- they are very smooth and look great :thumbup: (but the blue wasn't dark enough for my liking. I prefer the Zebra 4C dark green, burgundy and sepia colors they have on jetpens).

Been planning on getting a Lamy Econ BP and pencil set so thanks for the heads up! Almost all my pens are Lamys, and I've wanted to add a RB and BP to the collection and now I know how to make at very least the BP serviceable. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

it is maybe a dumb question, but how do I change the refill of a Lamy 2000 ballpoint? Screw off the tip? I tried that but got nowhere and I didn't want to use brute force. Thanks!

Edit: I should also mention I have the blackwood finish. I know the Makrolon unscrews in the middle.

Edit 2: Never mind, using more force solved the problem.

Edited by m k

• 5 years later...

It's been several years since I started this thread.

Now, I have to caution everyone about the Monteverde refills in the Lamy M16 size. I bought six Monteverde Soft Roll refills (3 blue and 3 black) in the Lamy M16 size a year ago, and stored them. When I went to refill my Lamy 2000, the refills do not stick out far enough to work.

The one on the left is a Lamy M16, then three Monteverdes (green, blue, and blue). The only ones that works at all in the Lamy 2000 are the green one (which is new) and an older blue one removed from the pen, on the far right, and even that is slightly “off” in the location of the collar. The six I have are all like the third from the left and they don’t fit!

post-11712-0-72588800-1557694514_thumb.jpg

Edited by JML

Must be a Monteverde QC issue because it seems the black collar, on the third refill from left, is slightly higher.

The other three refill collars are at the same level.

I doubt dimensions of Lamy barrels have changed else they would have to manufacture two versions of the M16 refill.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Monteverde says they'll send me replacements. I hope those are correctly assembled.

Monteverde says they'll send me replacements. I hope those are correctly assembled.

IMO, they ought to be fine. A QC slip up.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the six replacements are also all assembled incorrectly! E-mail sent to Monteverde this week, with a photo, but no reply yet.

post-11712-0-83381700-1559845350_thumb.jpg