Novel Positive Displacement Filling System

fountainbel

The "fountainbel" BULK FILLER filling system revealed :

The patents now being pending, I can finally reveal the details of my new filling system

Benefit of the new positive displacement filling system is the fact it allows huge ink intakes at minimum build-in length of the filling mechanism

Drawback of the actual "positive displacement" fountain pen filling systems being the fact the mechanism itself takes considerable length, restricting the ink intake to approximately half the length of the barrel.

The "Fountainbel" bulk filler system consists of syringe filler on which the syringe rod can be engaged to the piston prior to filling, and disengaged from the piston after filling.

Benefit being one can slide and store the syringe rod in the ink reservoir after filling, greatly reducing the build-in length .

Conventional syringe fillers have the drawback the rod remains out , so the build-in length greatly restricts the potential ink intake.

The new piston mechanism features a radial/axial locking system at the retracted piston position so one can slide the syringe rod only in after the piston is positively anchored with the back end barrel enclosure plug.

Another important issue was overcoming the "stick-slip" phenomenon of the piston seal.

As most of us already experienced when refilling a piston filler after longer time, the piston friction is initially higher and drops considerably after the piston advanced a little.

The piston seal "break-away" force - caused by the "stick-slip" phenomenon- increases in time, meaning that refilling a pen after 3 weeks the break-away force is considerably higher as when refilling after one day.

This is triggered by the fact the microscopic layer of ink between the seal lip and the barrel wall is gradually "creeping out" due to the static surface pressure

Overcoming this phenomenon, the new "bulk filler" filling system features an axial cam which forces the piston to move 1.0 mm forward while coupling the piston rod to the piston.

Reducing stick slip risks we also opted for a "quad ring" instead of a more stick-slip sensible O ring

The system also features an ink shut-off valve -mounted on the top of the syringe rod- which positively seals the ink reservoir and prevents any leakage triggered by temperature and/or air expansion in the ink chamber during air or high altitude travel.

This implies the pen can be stored horizontal or in whatever position even in the non-pressurized sections of the plane or when travelling in the mountains

Filling procedure:

Please note I've tried to capture all the technical aspects which occur when filling the pen. This may create the idea the filling procedure is complex, while in reality it really is simple and straight forward.

1- Start position

2-After unscrewing the filling knob from the barrel one pulls the syringe rod fully out.

3- When the rod is fully out one screws the threaded end of the rod in the piston, by turning the filling knob approximately 3 turns counter clockwise while slightly pulling at the rod.

3- Now the rod is positively coupled and the rod collar backs-up against the piston front.

4- By turning further 30°, the rod /piston assembly rotates and the piston is disengaged from its static anchor.

5- Continuing turning further to 270° the piston reaches the axial " stick slip breaker " cam on the barrel end plug and automatically moves 1.0 mm forward, while the piston at 300° radially backs-up against its stop on the barrel end plug

6- By pushing on the filling knob the piston now goes completely down.

7- Pulling the plunger back out - with the nib immersed in the ink - one pulls a full load of ink. Depending of the length of the pen the ink volume goes from 2 ml for the shortest pen to 3 ml for the longest version.

8-While slightly pulling and turning the filling knob clockwise one anchors the piston again on the barrel end plug, and - continuing turning - one unscrews the piston rod from the piston.

9-Now simply push the rod back in and screw the filling knob on the barrel.

After wiping the nib/feed, the pen is now ready for writing.

Note the top of the plunger rod is equipped with an O ring which seals on a conical seat in the section , obtaining an axial pretension of 0.3mm between the section seat and the O ring.

Doing so the pen can't leak due to expanding air, triggered by temperature or air pressure variations.

One can simply remove the O ring if one does not want the shut-off valve, but surely on the larger volumes the shut-off is recommended

Using the shut-off valve implies however the filling knob should be opened for –let's say- 1.5 mm for longer writing sessions.

Note there are two O rings inside the piston which seal on the syringe rod.

Contrary to the rod seals on plunger fillers these O rings are "static" during filling and emptying the pen and therefore not prone to leakage.

There is also no "back-up" pressure build up behind the piston when pulling the plunger out, since the rod has 0.2 backlash in the barrel enclosure nut bore.

More about Bulk filler pens :

Prototypes were intensively evaluated over a one year period by 4 "frequent writers" test people.

Thanks to their valued input we were able to optimize the design details.

"CONID" in Antwerp-Belgium, is actually making series of 60 demonstrators which will become available early May 2012.

Export price will be around 420€€.

Note the pen parts are completely precision machined from solid bar stock.

When interested please contact Werner at Conid directly : werner@conid.be

-"Bulk filler" pens use standard "off the shelf" seals and are very maintenance friendly.

-Nothing is glued nor shellacked, elements are sealed with O rings, pen can be completely disassembled in 3 minutes. No heat required!

-Bock screw in nib units with steel nibs are standard ( Titanium or18K Bock nibs possible)

-The large volume displacement- inherent to syringe fillers- en :sures simple and efficient flushing in no time, an important advantage when regularly changing inks.

-Barrel/ cap mating threads in different materials avoiding thread fretting and wear risks

-No "step" between section and barrel, ensuring optimum ergonomic writing comfort.

- Cap actuated ink shut-off valve optional in the future ( not yet!)

-Child prove filling system : no ink will be released even when unscrewing the filling knob and pulling the rod out.

- Posting occurs cylindrically, deep in the cap, eliminating "wedging" cap cracks, and bringing the gravity point down for a perfect balance

The attached pictures show most of the details mentioned above.

Please send me an E-mail if you should want further technical information's.

Thanks for reading so far !

Edit :

The pen shown is one of my prototype "test" pens made in my shop, not new !

Francis

1- Starting position, closed filling knob

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages001Kopie.jpg

2- Unscrew filling knob and pull rod fully out

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages002Kopie.jpg

3- Screw rod in piston till axial back-up contact

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages003Kopie.jpg

4- Rotating the piston disengages radial /axial anchor

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages004Kopie.jpg

5- Rotating piston enters static axial "stick-slip breaker" cam

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages005Kopie.jpg

6- Stick-slip breaker cam pushes piston 1 mm forward

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages006Kopie.jpg

7- Piston pushed down, ready for filling

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages007Kopie.jpg

8- Nib under inkt level, piston retracted for full load of ink !

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages008Kopie.jpg

9 - Piston re-anchored

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages009Kopie.jpg

10- Rod screwn out piston, rod stored in barrel, filling knob closed

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages010Kopie.jpg

11-Bulk filler posted, cylindrically deep in cap!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages011Kopie.jpgBulkfiller 12-Bulk filler capped

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/Bulkfillerstages012Kopie.jpg

Edited by fountainbel

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• raging.dragon

• hari317

• FLJeepGuy

Congrats! I'd love to see a video of the system in action.

Also more photos of the pen itself. I love the idea!

Too many pens; too little writing.

Very nice Francis.

Will you be producing the pens to sell yourself? Or liscencing the technology to a large penmaker?

Cheers, Ted

Well, I have to admit the details are beyond me, but I'm glad we're finally going to be able to buy some of the beautiful pens you've been showing off.

Francis,

Well done. And thanks again for the vac-fil full cartridge replacement you recently did for me. Not sure what I would have done without it.

Bill

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

This could very well be the best filling system ever!

Francis, you're a true genius!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

:thumbup:

I am glad you got your patent applied for. Be aware that patent in Japan will not be in force for some 3 or so years.

It's going to cost an arm and a leg to patent that world wide.

Genius is 95.8% sweating out the details. :notworthy1:

The other 4.2% is having a brain smart in that field. :clap1:

Edited by wimg
Removed insult

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

As a mechanical engineer: Bravo sir, well done.

For your first pen, you should buy a Pelikan m200 or a TWSBI 540.

For vintage, get a Parker Vacumatic or a 51.

Once you go Vac, you never go back.

Yes, I've been drinking.

Hi all,

Just introduced a new series of pictures showing the complete filling process

Hope this will make things more clear !

Francis

Hi all,

Just introduced a new series of pictures showing the complete filling process

Hope this will make things more clear !

Francis

It looks fabulous Francis. I can't wait to see the final production demonstrators (I'm definitely a possible customer) - I'd love to see a future version as either a stealth demonstrator (like the smoke Pilot Custom 823) or in a semi-demo celluloid or acrylic with a little more pizzazz (like the Omas Lucens series). If I recall, Conway Stewart uses one such modern resin (I believe it's called "Demo") - makes me think it may be possible to source.

Either way, the mechanism will need to be shown off...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

As an 'engineering challenged' person I am not sure I understand the difference between radial/axial, but the photos made it pretty clear, and I am glad to see your creation finally coming to the market. Well done.

I'm impressed! One of the best filling systems I've seen. My only question is cleaning... can it be disassembled? What happens when ink gets behind the seals? As long as it can be properly cleaned inside and out, I love it! In any case, excellent work!

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your encouraging comments !

I've worked 2 years to get the system fully optimized, and - given the very positive final reactions from the "testers"- I'm sure I've reached my goal: making a robust, high capacity and maintenance freindly fountain pen filling system.

The pen can be completely disassembled in 3 minutes, only using a tool which will be included.

The barrel bore being machined to a high surface smoothness and the Buna N "Quad" piston seal having a grease reserve between its 2 sealing ridges, the seal will last for ages....

Francis

Nice product francis,

Congratulations!!! :thumbup:

Glad i finally see the system working, you've made me curious on my last visit!!

Another nice belgian product!

Warm Regards,

Adam

Edited by crabe919

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your encouraging comments !

I've worked 2 years to get the system fully optimized, and - given the very positive final reactions from the "testers"- I'm sure I've reached my goal: making a robust, high capacity and maintenance freindly fountain pen filling system.

The pen can be completely disassembled in 3 minutes, only using a tool which will be included.

The barrel bore being machined to a high surface smoothness and the Buna N "Quad" piston seal having a grease reserve between its 2 sealing ridges, the seal will last for ages....

Francis

Just what I wanted to hear! So, when can we be expecting to see some pens available with this mechanism?

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Amazing ! Francis,

Really nice system, smart and effecient actually. :thumbup:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/petitdauphinzele/midnightblue-1.png

aka Petitdauphinzele

No disrespect for you nor your amazing approach but your bulk-filler's ratio of InkVolume to PenVolume exceed the Ahab's?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

No disrespect for you nor your amazing approach but your bulk-filler's ratio of InkVolume to PenVolume exceed the Ahab's?

Hi Lloyd,

Having an identical barrel length, my bulk filler will take at least 60% more ink in.

Francis