Uh Oh... Did I Just Order The Wrong Nib For The Namiki/pilot Falcon? Namiki Sf Versus Fa

ptrcao

I am a VERY fast writer (and why I don't have optimal penmanship), and this keeps up just fine, even with a moderate amount of flexing and none of those problems with the 742/3 as Leigh Reyes noted in her blog. I posted these two photos I took, and you can see there was no railroading or skipping. I have not tried a multitude of inks, and MB Racing Green did not do as well as the 3 different Iroshizuku's.

http://i61.photobuck...lot823-FA-1.jpg

http://i61.photobuck...lot823-FA-2.jpg

In terms of the cost, I think you need to add the amount for the 743 with FA selling mostly for $250 + 823 which the transparent model seems to be selling for $280 + Nibmeister putting the FA nib and tuning the 823. I don't know if you can buy the FA nib separately alone. Your call if it's worth it and can afford it.

Is it just me, or did the same link get posted twice rather than two unique links/photos...?

The second link should just have had the number 2, and these are the same links I posted on Leigh Reyes blog.

The FA nib stands for Forukan, not Falcon. The FA nib has no relationship to Falcon pens or Falcon nibs--as far as I understand it.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ptrcao

• SamCapote

• John Cullen

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The FA nib stands for Forukan, not Falcon. The FA nib has no relationship to Falcon pens or Falcon nibs--as far as I understand it.

ファルコン Farukon translates to Falcon in English. Pilot refer the nib as Falcon in their English documentation.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

ファルコン Farukon translates to Falcon in English. Pilot refer the nib as Falcon in their English documentation.

Wow, that's handy clarification! Thanks! Does the FA come in F, M and B? Or is there just one size?

Does the FA come in F, M and B? Or is there just one size?

Glad to be of help. Yes the FA comes only in ONE size. It is an EF when unflexed, if you ask me.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Any difference in the stroke between #5, #10 and #15? Also any difference with respect to feed performance?

There is no FA available in the #5 size. I had FA in both #10 and #15 sizes. I sold the #10 and retained the #15. No difference in stroke size. I use only Pilot Blue-Black in these pens and I have faced zero feed starvation issues.

People have reported more feed starvation issues with the #10 as compared to #15. YMMV.

Nobody has made it clear whether or not modifications need to be made in order for the FA to be fitted to the Pilot Custom 823? Is it simply a matter of screwing it on? Does it attach as-is without the need for any modifications?

I defer to Hari's deeper understanding of all things Falcon, :notworthy1: but I have not seen an FA style nib with the cut-out wings & commensurate increased flex on any of the Falcon named Pens, but I have not done exhaustive searches through every model Pilot has. My understanding is that the FA nib only comes as an option with the 742 & 743 pens. Again, I may be wrong.

Nobody has made it clear whether or not modifications need to be made in order for the FA to be fitted to the Pilot Custom 823? Is it simply a matter of screwing it on? Does it attach as-is without the need for any modifications?

I have not seen anyone putting the FA on a custom 823 it outside of that link I posted. I have not seen how the 823 nib/feed is removed and how it would match up to the FA nib taken from a 743. It appeared that the back of the section was glued to the clear plastic body. I'm not interested in sacrificing my 823 to find out how to do a replacement mod, since this FA nib installed in the 823 is just perfect the way it is. The videos posted of people like Watch Art taking out the feed/FA nib from the 743 appears to just be a friction fit. That would likely have to be the same with the 823 if there is cross compatibility.

Reading that Japanese translated website just above where they show the images of the Forukan and Waverly nibs, they seem to be saying that the size #15 is a match between 743 & 823. They also seem to be saying that this custom installation is done for them by Pilot. I may be reading too much into the translation.

Waverley and Forukan is a kind pen that is the original lineup to 743 custom series. Both species, very good compatibility to write Japanese, is a pen to write very supple and comfortable. Also personally use regularly came every day with a custom 743, love is our pen. I was thinking always taste even when the pen tip 823 of the custom writing this wonderful taste, and wondered how good. Also 823 custom 743, issue number 15 of the pen tip is the same issue, the physical compatibility of the pen tip, there was.

However, individuals that we sell replacement at the store, it becomes covered by manufacturer's warranty at that point. In this, could not be that much trouble to our customers of your choice, after we put away for the inconvenience. Therefore, the manufacturer continued to appeal to this passion, whether or not I get a genuine production as somehow special specifications, we have continued to negotiate.

As a result, the time is took, I was able to get the nomination in early summer of 2009. When certified, at the same time as the verification of the prototype of over a long period of time within the manufacturer, upon examination, has led to sufficiently obtain permission from the attitude of our after-sales follow-on product sales and product Namiki pilot. Because of circumstances, there is not a replacement to stock after stock, of course, are produced by manufacturers as this specification is exactly the same way as normal product regular manufacturer's warranty.

Edited by SamCapote

What I can tell you for sure is that the nibs and feeds on all my Custom 823s pull right out, incredibly easily. They are just a friction fit, not even screwing is required.

I recently ordered a 743 with a SU nib but it won't arrive until March (it was back ordered, the seller tells me), so I can't confirm if the nib on the 743 is a friction fit too, but I suspect it is. What I do know is that the #15 nibs are on both the 823s and 743s, so I am banking on being able to just swap the nibs.

Edited by saskia_madding

What I can tell you for sure is that the nibs and feeds on all my Custom 823s pull right out, incredibly easily. They are just a friction fit, not even screwing is required.

I recently ordered a 743 with a SU nib but it won't arrive until March (it was back ordered, the seller tells me), so I can't confirm if the nib on the 743 is a friction fit too, but I suspect it is. What I do know is that the #15 nibs are on both the 823s and 743s, so I am banking on being able to just swap the nibs.

Good to get your confirmation, as I am not willing to take out my FA #15 nib from this 823, because it's just perfect. It would be great to know if you can just buy their nib/feeds....but I'm guessing those are only sold to licensed repair shops. It appears the only way someone can put an FA nib from a 743 on an 823 to get better flow is to buy both pens costing > $500.

Shawn (Watch Art) has a video pulling his FA 742 straight out, and then removing the breather tube.

Edited by SamCapote

Unfortunately, you can't get the fancy nibs - FA or WA or SU - outside of Japan. Trust me, before buying a 743 I checked diligently throuh several avenues. No dice. :(

Perhaps you can buy the nibs/feeds separately in Japan, but since I have no contacts there and no way to easily find that information out, or even a way to get the nib shipped from there to here (Pilot Japan won't ship the nibs to distributors in North America, including Pilot USA), I felt like it was pointless for me to keep checking.

If anyone finds out, please let me know. I am still hankering for a FA nib for my 823!

Edited by saskia_madding

What we need is a willing Japanese representative! :) I did have one Japanese acquaintence but I fear our level of familiarity does not permit the imposition of asking the favour. The problem, I find, is in trying to communicate with Japanese merchants. I'm sure they do not understand half of what I say and they do not return my emails probably for this very reason.

Have you fellows no Japanese friends? Or perhaps there is a lurker amongst us, fluent in the language of Japanese, who also has a mutual interest in sourcing the standalone FA nib?

I did take some introductory courses to Japanese, while in high school, but I can't do much more than verbally introduce myself, and I certainly can't write anything sensible!

Edited by ptrcao

Hence the reason I bought the 823 with the FA installed.

SF means soft fine which can show more line variations and suggest holding the pen more horizontally . FA means falcon which means even more softer than SF and is like a brush touch . Recommend to hold more horizontally .

I am interested in FA for the soft style.

Edited by mjchuang9

Need help. Google translate won't translate the Japanese shopping cart page - how did other people do it?

http://sv11.eshop-do.com/program/cart/09_cart_in.php?sid=ahysv11&xo=3840

I had to copy text manually and translate individual words. Also needed to view html source to acces some text contained in buttons. A bit labour intensive but Google won't wholesale translate some of these shopping cart pages for some reason.