I'm Often Asked Why I Like Noodler's Black ?

PenFisher

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uojfe

• Joshua J.

• JohnS-MI

• Phormio

I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of black ink. I have tried to like them in the past, but nothing ever stuck.

Well after reading this thread, I loaded my VP with a .8 Binder Stub (newly acquired) with a sample I had of Noodler's Black. I am really enjoying this "tar like" ink. So smooth and I have tried it on manilla envelopes, print labels, post its, rhodia....everything I throw at it, it handles wonderfully.

I'm not considering a black bottle purchase. I'm curious as to how Heart of Darkness compares to Black?

--Frank--

I have the same kind of love for X-Feather, but I could be persuaded to switch my allegiance if provided with an example of how Noodler's Black fares when run over with a pencil eraser (preferably a latex-free variety). Pencil erasers are X-Feather's primary weakness, as my smudged sketchbook page can testify.

I have never seen an issue, but I tried a test. I wrote a few lines in Noodler's Black on an Ampad Gold Fibre pad, gave it 60 s to dry and attacked it with two erasers I use because they erase pencil very thoroughly and cleanly. The Noodler's laughed at and ignored them. No smudges or other apparent effects. (In my opinion, Noodler's Black fears only fire and the shredder.)

Thanks, JohnS - I know what my next black ink will be!

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

I have the same kind of love for X-Feather, but I could be persuaded to switch my allegiance if provided with an example of how Noodler's Black fares when run over with a pencil eraser (preferably a latex-free variety). Pencil erasers are X-Feather's primary weakness, as my smudged sketchbook page can testify.

Some of the dye is not bonding to the paper. I'd try diluting with a bit of water. It wont affect the color in a perceptible way.

• 2 weeks later...

Love OMB and always wondered how it compared to the regular Noodler's black. I read a lot of the reviews on the 'blackest of black' inks and Aurora, HOD and OMB all seemed near the top of public opinion and reflected the same in scans and reviews.

• 2 months later...

It's not picky about the paper it goes on ...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6870845855_3c3bffb746.jpg

It's not affraid of the water ...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6870846165_091f3449e0.jpg

It can take abuse ...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6870846409_66958f2ffa.jpg

and still look great !

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6870846725_71486bd4a5.jpg

I don't suppose you want to repeat this experiment with HoD and possibly even the other Noodlers Blacks (such as x-feather) and see if the results are comparable?

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Can any of you say from your experience if there are any differences in performance between Noodler's Black and Noodler's Polar Black? I assume the Polar Black also comes in the same economy size bottle...

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Great review ... Noodler's is becoming my go to ink ....

I don't suppose you want to repeat this experiment with HoD and possibly even the other Noodlers Blacks (such as x-feather) and see if the results are comparable?

From my experience:

X-feather will pass these tests but will take more time to dry on the Rhodia, as it's really geared for crappy paper.

HOD will pass these tests but may feather on the newspaper, as it's really geared for nicer paper.

My rule: If I know I'll be using good paper I'll ink with HOD. If I know I'll be using using crappy paper I'll ink with X feather. If I need to handle anything that gets thrown my way then I'll ink with Noodler's Black; it will do at least a decent job in an amazingly wide variety of situations.

From my experience:

X-feather will pass these tests but will take more time to dry on the Rhodia, as it's really geared for crappy paper.

HOD will pass these tests but may feather on the newspaper, as it's really geared for nicer paper.

My rule: If I know I'll be using good paper I'll ink with HOD. If I know I'll be using using crappy paper I'll ink with X feather. If I need to handle anything that gets thrown my way then I'll ink with Noodler's Black; it will do at least a decent job in an amazingly wide variety of situations.

Bugger it! Whilst my ink collection is reasonable (small by some standards here) I already have more ink than I could possibly use in the foreseeable future. To purchase black or not to purchase (and just live with HoD); that is the question.

Lots of wants, limited funds!

My issue with it is that when dry, the pigment smudges on the paper when I rub it with a dry finger. For this reason I can't use it for notetaking

Visit my blog Pentorium!

Possibly one of the best - and most compact! - of reviews I've seen here. Noodler's OM/Blackest Black is my true go-to black ink (with Pilot Black right behind it). Works for me!

- Barrett

I still have a hard time believing it can hold up to a 44 or 357 magnum round. Bulletproof, smulletproof! :roflmho:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

It's not picky about the paper it goes on ...

can you show the other side of the papers you wrote on?

bleed-through is the main reason i stopped using the noodler's ink i have now.

Well done, glad this got revived. For reasons I won't go into, I've got 14 pens inked right now, an unusually high number for me. Easily two thirds have Noodler's Black. I must like it, too. Actually, I'm trying to broaden my appreciation for inks beyond the very few I typically use.