The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Huron In Cappuccino Swirl Acrylic (Newbie!)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chapps

Chapps

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:08

After nearly a 20 year absence from the world of fountain pens, I started to get the itch again late last year. I did a ton of homework, and kept coming back to Edison Pens. And apparently my other half was paying attention, 'cause he gave me an Edison Pen gift certificate for Christmas! One custom pen ... and too many choices.

After a lot of over-obsessing on various models and colors/materials, I settled on the Huron in cappuccino swirl acrylic. That particular material really is remarkable looking in the photos - I couldn't pass it up.

I received the pen yesterday, a couple of weeks earlier than promised. Wow. I always try to downplay my expectations when I order special items like this, so I was completely blown away when I opened the very nice case. The cappuccino swirls had far more depth than the photos can ever show, with this golden sheen showing through the transparency when viewed from certain angles. Really stunning. One of my friends saw it and is trying to buy it off me!

But the best part was when I filled this baby up with some Diamine Syrah ink and started to write in my notebook. One of the reasons that I gave fountain pens up all those years ago is that the affordable ones had such scratchy nibs and uneven flow. I write very fast and don't want to have to slow down. And I like a pen that can flow generously, but not too generously, if you take my meaning. The mess and hassle, with such spotty results ... well, I gradually left the fountain pen world (particularly after my Mont Blanc was swiped).

The Edison Huron has a two ton steel nib that is like writing with an oiled tip. On regular paper, it beats all rollerballs, but on premium paper ... it's practically a religious experience. There's actually a practical side of this for me, as I have a rheumatic form of arthritis. I've had it since my 20's, but it's just now really affecting my hands. It can be extremely tough to grip a pen and write for long periods of time. The Huron is just the right thickness paired with the smooth glide of the pen, which means I don't have to grip it so tightly.

And let's face it - the dang thing is just so beautiful. I'm just glad I don't have to sacrifice anything for beauty in this case. Far from it.

Attached are two pics that Brian from Edison sent went he announced that my pen was ready, and a sample of my first attempt at writing with it ... after I completely failed the ink filling stage (it's been 20 years, remember). OK, so a little mess - I'll get better. I can attach additional pics when I get a moment. Excuse my handwriting.

Attached Images

• EdisonPen_DiamineSyrahInk2.jpg
  • EdisonPen_for_SC2.jpg
  • EdisonPen_for_SC.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:21

Steve, :W2FPN:

Don't you love the feeling of writing with a fountain pen? So smooth and exciting!
By the way, that ink color on the paper is beautiful! Have fun writing!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

#3 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:28

Great review of a handsome pen!

Welcome to FPN.....

:W2FPN:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#4 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:40

I love it. And welcome to FPN.

#5 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:43

Two of my four Edisons are Cappuccino Swirl! And a Persimmon Swirl will probably be next.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#6 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:48

:W2FPN:

The Cappuccino Swirl is really nice.

#7 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 906 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:08

Nice return to "the life", and good luck resisting another Edison! :roflmho:

#8 Chapps

Chapps

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:25

Nice return to "the life", and good luck resisting another Edison! :roflmho:

You are SO right. I'm already eyeing another one. Looks like all of my collected rollerballs are gonna have to move over - I've been re-bitten by the bug. Anything that can make check writing pleasant has got to be good for you.

And thanks, everyone, for welcoming me onboard.

#9 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,488 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:39

Good job of description, photography for a new guy. Welcome. I like what you have to say. Syrah is one of my second tier favs.....and I'm thinking hard about an Edison.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#10 Florenze

Florenze

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:32

What an expressive review! A Valentine to the fountain pen world. Certainly no reason to apologize for your handwriting--you've gotten some great shading fx with the Syrah, too.
Happy to hear that your departed Montblanc has now been reincarnated as a Cappucino Edison Huron. Good choice, I think I'd choose to come back as a custom Edison myself. :lol:

#11 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• 807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:55

Sweet pen. I like the Huron, and the Cappucino Swirl looks great! :thumbup:

#12 jwar2003

jwar2003

Jay

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:53

Wow, you must be so strong being able to write so nice with such a heavy nib, :) .

Very nice looking pen, beautiful markings.
Kind regards

Jay

#13 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 00:29

That pen is a stunner! Congratulations and welcome to the fold from another Edison fan.

#14 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 17:38

:W2FPN: and nice review. Your hand writing looks great.

#15 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 18:09

Love that swirl!

#16 Truman

Truman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:01

Welcome to the forum! I loved your comment about even writing a check is fun. I had the same thought earlier today when I wrote out a check. Your better half did well in the gift-giving department! And of course, the pen itself is killer.

Edited by Truman, 14 February 2012 - 21:02.

Sponsored Content

|