• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• Jimmy James

• krbmsw

• MrsGouletPens

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that a bulb filler may be prohibitive (cost/amount of work involved), but hey...you asked. It would be my first choice but not a deal-breaker.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

My guess is that a bulb filler may be prohibitive (cost/amount of work involved), but hey...you asked. It would be my first choice but not a deal-breaker.

Yeah, I doubt it really is an option.

I think bulb filler typically adds $100, so I'm guessing the cheapest this pen would be in a production setting would be $250+, that is of course if he's willing to do bulbs in bulk. They are very time-consuming, manual work.

I think it'd be cool, but I think the cost of a C/C would be are more attainable for most folks. Plus you can convert them to eyedropper.

I sent a b/c message to Brian via PM to ask for his thoughts and guidance. I'm probably out of line, as just another voice in the crowd and not one of the original posters. If so, my apologies for being so bold. I am just trying to move this, obviously interesting project to a lot of us , forward. Jim

I sent a b/c message to Brian via PM to ask for his thoughts and guidance. I'm probably out of line, as just another voice in the crowd and not one of the original posters. If so, my apologies for being so bold. I am just trying to move this, obviously interesting project to a lot of us , forward. Jim

Cool. Could you ask him about the overlays and celluloid? I'm not sure these are viable options either but I did put them in the polls.

I think bulb filler typically adds $100, so I'm guessing the cheapest this pen would be in a production setting would be $250+, that is of course if he's willing to do bulbs in bulk. They are very time-consuming, manual work.

That's mostly what I guess I was getting at. I wondered if anybody has asked for a bulb group buy before. That's the only true prohibition I see here.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I don't think there's any economy of scale in mass production of the bulb filler. Unlike being able to set up the lathe for each part and mass produce them in bulk runs, he'll have to individually install each filler set-up. If there was enough savings on the pen end, I'd still consider it. For example, if what is typically a $350 pen (custom plus bulb) became a $250 pen, I'd be in. I realize that I'm dreaming here and have no idea how much Brian would be willing to discount for a group buy.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

A group buy for a bulb would actually be a good way for Brian to test if there are economies of scale he could find a way to exploit in the production of the bulb filler pens. At this point, none of the production models are bulbs. That may be because making 10 bulb fill Colliers a week without economies of scale might be daunting. If economies of scale can be discovered and exploited on something like a group buy, it could open the door for some future bulb fill production model.

Now even I fear I'm just talking crazy talk. ;)

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

A group buy for a bulb would actually be a good way for Brian to test if there are economies of scale he could find a way to exploit in the production of the bulb filler pens. At this point, none of the production models are bulbs. That may be because making 10 bulb fill Colliers a week without economies of scale might be daunting. If economies of scale can be discovered and exploited on something like a group buy, it could open the door for some future bulb fill production model.

Haha... yeah.... unfortunately I think it's crazy talk. :roflmho: The bulb fill pens involve hand work, nothing a machine can do. It's all the sanding and polishing of the inside of the pen to create the ink window and such... I really don't think it will be able to be done in bulk, whether it's 10 pens or 100 pens. That's why I don't think the price of a bulb filler will be feasible, or at least no more discounted than buying custom for an individual pen. Which again, defeats the whole purpose of a group buy.

i voted for the CC/eye-dropper. less things to go wrong and easily-replaced if the converter breaks.

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

Yeah, but that's my kind of crazy. It's fun to daydream.

— Dr. Seuss

I need to jump in here to make everyone aware of what is happening in my end.

First off, communication with me regarding his project his been next to nothing. There was one PM and one quick phone call.

So I'm actually the most in the dark regarding this project.

I'm not saying that this can't happen. Actually, I would like for it to happen.

But these group buys can be logistical nightmares if they are not run correctly.

So it can happen, but it has to happen a certain way which is mutually beneficial for my business and also all of you.

With the LA Pen Show being this week, I'm way too busy to deal with this right now.

I have some ideas as to how this can happen. But allow me some time.

So keep these threads and polls going. Once I have LA under my belt, I'll be better equipped to put my ideas out to all of you.

Thanks

Brian

How about Sunday I approach Brian with the top material and get some suggestions from him about colors designs etc. for the material. Start a poll with those colors to pick the top colors for the material?

Please make blue the top color choice.

Yeah, color is going to be difficult. So much to choose from. I'll look at the original thread and see what colors/designs people were suggesting and start there. What model is selected also could influence the material. Someone might want a black ebonite Pearl but not a black ebonite Pearlette.