Fine Art

drgoretex

rather than glue, could the body pieces be threaded?

IOW's lego oops that name is taken, > pieceable pen? : )

nibs can be inter-changeable, why not pen body color combo's?

good way to make use of interesting remainders.

Might even allow one to add/remove extra length for larger/smaller hands.. cap/nib/section would remain the same.

I rather like this idea : )

If material shrinkage is an issue, might have to be the same material..

This certainly could be done. Might be kind of fun! Only down side is you will feel the joints when they are screwed together, whereas the glued ones are absolutely smooth. Still, might be fun to have a go at that.

Ken

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgoretex

• pen2paper

• Lloyd

• Indy_Pen_Dance

nice nice nice, when I see this kind of pen I think in that: a premium brand put the name in the clip and charges a lot in this idea and you will have to pay $400 for one of this nice piece!

keep doing art!

Thanks very much!

Ken

That's very interesting, Richard. I have never heard of this kind of problem with CA before. My impression had been that it is CA that is used by the big name pen manufacturers, as it forms essentially a layer of acrylic, similar to the material it is bonding.

In a plane, I wouldn't trust it either, but I assume that in a plane, you need a bond that can take a certain degree of stressing without cracking, and CA most definitely does not flex.

I think CA is still the best option for laminating and glueing up pen, for its 'turnability'. But, food for thought.

Ken

Since CA is hydrophillic, I would think that the moisture of the user's hand would cause the CA to break down over time.

We had a customer run his fountain pen through the WASHING MACHINE because he unwittingly left it in the pocket of his pants. This was a Desert Ironwood Burl pen finished with a CA finish. Pen looked just as good AFTER the wash as it did before and other than having to replace his nib (at his expense) and he had to get new pants - they looked like an ink blot test - you would never have known he did this to his pen. Now three or maybe four years later - still looks and writes just as well as ever. Not saying that CA won't ever be a problem. Just that it isn't ALWAYS a problem and I think it is probably going to take more than just a bit of sweat to cause the problem.

my humble two cents.

'drgoretex'

This certainly could be done. Might be kind of fun! Only down side is you will feel the joints when they are screwed together, whereas the glued ones are absolutely smooth. Still, might be fun to have a go at that.

Ken

you could make the joints work for you, have smooth areas where most people grip, and have others actually have some slight size change, texture, or even a metal ring..

think of it as a a toy, or jewelry that's sectioned or beaded..

also think of the many people who match their pen to their situation, office, meetings, outside activities.

presto chango, twist off/on pen sheath your pen matches, voila!

thanks for entertaining my imagination today, this has been fun!

Reminds me of a patchwork madras fabric. ;)

http://www.capemadras.com/images/colors/swatches/23bc243---redondo.jpg

John

That's very interesting, Richard. I have never heard of this kind of problem with CA before. My impression had been that it is CA that is used by the big name pen manufacturers, as it forms essentially a layer of acrylic, similar to the material it is bonding.

In a plane, I wouldn't trust it either, but I assume that in a plane, you need a bond that can take a certain degree of stressing without cracking, and CA most definitely does not flex.

I think CA is still the best option for laminating and glueing up pen, for its 'turnability'. But, food for thought.

Ken

Since CA is hydrophillic, I would think that the moisture of the user's hand would cause the CA to break down over time.

We had a customer run his fountain pen through the WASHING MACHINE because he unwittingly left it in the pocket of his pants. This was a Desert Ironwood Burl pen finished with a CA finish. Pen looked just as good AFTER the wash as it did before and other than having to replace his nib (at his expense) and he had to get new pants - they looked like an ink blot test - you would never have known he did this to his pen. Now three or maybe four years later - still looks and writes just as well as ever. Not saying that CA won't ever be a problem. Just that it isn't ALWAYS a problem and I think it is probably going to take more than just a bit of sweat to cause the problem.

my humble two cents.

After further reading, I think the pen is fine although I'd probably avoid using as an ED. I had read about the hydrophyllic behavior from the guys in the REPAIR Q&A subforum.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Put it in the classifieds. I dare you.

Huh. :hmm1: I put it in the classifieds, because I had to (well, you dared me, so not much choice.... I didn't really think it would sell at all. It sold within three hours, and I had four offers before the morning was out, and a number of other interested parties by the end of the day.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I guess I will continue to save the scraps...

Cheers,

Ken

Ken

my humble two cents.

After further reading, I think the pen is fine although I'd probably avoid using as an ED. I had read about the hydrophyllic behavior from the guys in the REPAIR Q&A subforum.

That would probably be wise. I don't usually recommend my pens as ED's, but only because I don't use them that way myself, so could not be comfortable endorsing the idea. In fact I don't use EDs at all, for fear of the dreaded leaks...

Ken

I have 0 luck with ED pens, even ones designed that way. So I'm good with C/C. Besides, If I'm on a trip and need ink, often cartridges are easier to find anyway. I'm just sure to dispose of them properly...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I am actually upset that this pen was listed while I was at work. I wanted it!!!

I wanted it too, but didn't see the listing until I got home from work and it was sold by then. Whoever got it got one cool unique pen!

very nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time