The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Corona, Lemon Meringue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:27

Posted Image

Well, we really don't need another Corona review, but I didn't see any in the Lemon Meringue colorway. To be honest, I wasn't impressed when I first saw the pen because I was expecting a lot more yellow. Mine is quite brown, with a few thick stripes of white. But, I've gotten used to it & am now rather fond of my yellow-brown pen.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I really don't like gold trim on my pens, so I asked the lovely people at Richard's Pens if it could be "custom" ordered with silver hardware instead. Not a problem, it just took an extra week to be delivered. The pen is comfortable to write with un-posted, & I find it doesn't post very securely. It also makes it too back heavy for me.

The nib is a Binderized steel medium, so naturally it writes smoothly & wet :thumbup: It's a two-tone with the Bexley logo & size engraved.

Posted Image

I'm not too fussed over piston-filler v. converter, but I do love ink windows. At first I thought the ink window would be too narrow to be of any use, but it's actually big enough to be useful without taking over the section. To be fair, I wouldn't mind if the section was a window but for those that do, fear not. This picture doesn't show it very well because the pen was nearly full. The piston operates very smoothly & is fully internal; no slight gap when fully extended like a Pelikan.

Posted Image

There is a little peek through of the ink window when the pen is capped. It doesn't bother me, but for those that want a perfectly engineered pen...either inspect yours in person first or ask for one that is fully covered?

Posted Image

Nice pen with some heft but not "heavy," & an American-made piston-filler to boot for <$150 :thumbup:

Sponsored Content

#2 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:31

Nice pen, don't know much about Bexley, but tis review has me interested - thanks!

#3 eherreid

eherreid

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:46

Nice review! It's good to see some photos of a less common color choice. As I've mentioned elsewhere, these colors make me think goldfinch rather than lemon meringue, but maybe that's just me. Very pretty in any case! I have a Summer Storm with a medium nib and love it. If I ever get another Corona, this is my next color choice. Enjoy yours!

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:56

this bexley is a lot of pen for the money :thumbup: congrats on your choice
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 19:35

Great review! Thanks! :thumbup:
Posted Image

#6 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 19:50

Congratulations on a lovely fountain pen! I have a single Bexley, namely the 2008 LE pen, which is one of my favourite pens, and I must say that it is a quality pen. Smooth writer and attractive pen!

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:06

That's a nice wet nib on that pen, looks good.

#8 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:14

Thanks everyone!

@ Eherreid- I agree, Goldfinch (or anything else more brown-yellow) might be more appropriate. When I hear Lemon Meringue I think much more bright yellow. The Summer Storm is beautiful, but I wanted one of the less common colors & I didn't really like the Summer Sunset or Blueberry Cream.

@ Uncle Red- it's really wet! On cheap papers it'll probably bleed really badly.

#9 cbagley

cbagley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:35

That Bexley has fantastic depth and variation of color! Way to go on a beautiful FP. What exactly did Binder do for the nib, smooth it out?

#10 keepitfresh

keepitfresh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 22:27

Lemon Meringue, eh? Delicious looking pen :thumbup:
Posted Image
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

#11 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 23:13

Very nice, thanks for sharing iit!

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#12 CRB

CRB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 00:58

Thanks for the review and pictures. This is the material that interests me. I think it looks like delicious Lemon Chocolate Pie.

I hope you enjoy yours.

#13 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:38

Thanks everyone! It's a lovely pen & a nice break from the otherwise fairly normal colors in my pen collection.

That Bexley has fantastic depth and variation of color! Way to go on a beautiful FP. What exactly did Binder do for the nib, smooth it out?

Binder ink tests each pen to make sure they write to his "factory" standard, which is smooth with a line at about 7/10 wetness. I buy very few pens these days that don't come from a nibmeister.

#14 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:55

As I've mentioned elsewhere, these colors make me think goldfinch rather than lemon meringue, but maybe that's just me.

I agree that goldfinch would be a more accurate name for this colour.

I think it looks like delicious Lemon Chocolate Pie.

Lemon Chocolate? That combination has me thinking cake more than pie. Perhaps a lemon cake with chocolate icing... :puddle:

#15 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:15

To be honest, I do prefer the brown-yellow colour of this pen. All the photos I've seen of the lemon meringue finish so far have shown pens with white and yellow stripes. One might call it a Lemon-choc pie...lemon meringue filling with a chocolate crust / base.

A very handsome pen and a piston-filler to boot...boy am I tempted!

#16 donnad333

donnad333

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:41

I was CAPTIVATED by this pen--and in this colour--from the start.
But I could NEVER tell--from the stock pix--what the lemon meringue really looked like. The pix of lemon meringue in particular seemed to be dominated by what seemed to be reflections.
And frankly, so do these pix. Gosh, am I the only one?
So maybe what I deemed to be reflections are REALLY white stripes?
Gosh, I wish I could see one in the "touch" medium!
I remain captivated...

#17 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:32

I was CAPTIVATED by this pen--and in this colour--from the start.
But I could NEVER tell--from the stock pix--what the lemon meringue really looked like. The pix of lemon meringue in particular seemed to be dominated by what seemed to be reflections.
And frankly, so do these pix. Gosh, am I the only one?
So maybe what I deemed to be reflections are REALLY white stripes?
Gosh, I wish I could see one in the "touch" medium!
I remain captivated...

Well, I was taking the pictures in my washroom as that had the "brightest" light, but it also led to a lot of glare. To be fair, my pen does have a lot of white stripes. There's a very thick one to the right of the clip; that's not a reflection. It's more of a brown/white pen with some yellow rather than a yellow pen with brown/white.

#18 CRB

CRB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:03

After reading this thread, I wrote to a vendor I know, and asked if he could send me a Lemon Meringue Corona with more of the greenish yellow and less of the brown; I was thinking he might have some examples to choose from. He said he would check with Bexley. When he wrote back he suggested that I should buy it in person; and that Bexley makes no representation as to color.

Of course, I'd welcome an opportunity to select one in person, assess its appearance, weight and balance in the hand; if they were available for sale anywhere near me I'd go take a look. Since the colour of the material is an important part of what makes a pen enjoyable for me to use, I'll wait. Gee, that saved me some money...

p.s. owenj, I think your pen is lovely.

Cheers,
Joe

#19 den_lim

den_lim

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 13:07

I think the color varies because of the material. My friend has one and it is more green than yellow.

Sponsored Content

|