The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Mina, Custom .9Mm Stub

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:10

Posted Image

Above is the writing sample Brian kindly included to show/describe how the custom grind on this nib wrote.

Posted Image

I love white pens. After deciding on the Mina for my first custom Edison, I asked Brian what material he might have that was a "pearly" or marbled white. The Igloo Swirl acrylic was included in a link he sent of several possibilities, & it looked very promising. I was a little worried because the sample size was small & I couldn't get a good look at how much visual texture there would be in the white, but I'm so glad I went ahead & chose it anyway. The pen is very white & has a beautiful shimmer in certain light. There's subtle shifts in the coloring so it's not just a solid tube of white.

Posted Image

"Smaller" in a sense due to the taper, but it's in no way a mini pen. Specs from the Edison website list it as 5 1/4" capped, 4 3/4" uncapped. At its thinnest point the pen is still over .5" thick. If you're really worried about the length the Extended Mina is available at no extra charge.

Posted Image

Steel nib is the smaller #5 which seems appropriate for the more slender Mina. Unadorned aside from the slight decorative engraving; no Edison logo on the #5s yet. Brian's .9mm stub grind is smooth with enough feedback to give it a tactile feel. Cartridge converter but can also be used as an eye dropper.

Sponsored Content

#2 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:34

Another interesting review.
Do you have to be very careful your pen doesn't drip/leak, would it stain the beautiful acrylic cap?

#3 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:57

very loveley pen :thumbup: congratulations
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#4 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:17

Thanks you guys! I went on a bit of a pen review frenzy this morning.

Another interesting review.
Do you have to be very careful your pen doesn't drip/leak, would it stain the beautiful acrylic cap?

I wouldn't use this as an eye dropper, even though technically it can. You could probably get away with an ink less prone to staining (blues, black etc). Well, mine doesn't leak (brand new & all), & due to the semi-translucent nature of certain parts of the acrylic you could probably catch & clean any leaks/drips before they did stain. I almost bought a Conway Stewart Khione but have read of several people who have had staining problems with theirs.

very loveley pen :thumbup: congratulations

Thanks!

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:18

Lovely pen. Nice nib too.

Sponsored Content