Chatterley Pens/delta Stantuffo Celluloid Classico Grande Limited Edition

Lszuk

Introduction:

Delta introduced the Dolce Vita collection several years ago, with a medium and oversized fountain pen, both with cartridge/converter filling system. The oversized pen had a beautiful oversized nib to match, but unfortunately ran out of ink far too soon. Problems with using this pen as an eyedropper filled pen have been described elsewhere in FPN. A few years later, Delta introduced the piston-filled Dolce Vita using the "medium" sized pen (which as I will illustrate later, is about the same size as the MB 149). The problem with this pen is that the nib is significantly smaller than the one used in the OS version. Bryant Greer, at Chatterly Pens designed a series of three different pens using the same sized pen as the piston Dolce Vita, but with the oversized nib (#8) found on the Dolce Vita OS.

L1010905.jpg

Appearance & Design: 10/10

The pen comes packaged in a hefty Delta pen box as shown above. The pen is elegant, but simple. There are two other colors (Pompeii is yellow with black lines scattered throughout, and Circo is reddish/orange with some scattered black lines), but the black is the more conservative, and classic in design. The pen is made of celluloid, with rose gold vermeil trim.

L1010892.JPG

L1010893.JPG

Weight & Dimensions: 10/10

The pen is solid and feels well constructed. The weight is similar to the MB 149, and the size is similar as well. I like the feel of a large barrel when I write, and use the pen posted as well as unposted.

L1010899.JPG

In thisimage, the MB 146 on top, followed by the MB 149 in the middle, and the Delta on bottom.

[L1010900.JPG

Nib & Performance: 10/10

The real reason I was so attracted to this pen is the beautiful, smooth oversized #8 nib. I like to use fine nibs, and this writes like a fine/med and is buttery smooth. Bryant indicated that this is one of the only pens that uses a different sized nib feed, depending on the nib used. For a stub nib, the feed has larger channels to accommodate a larger supply of ink. The nib writes first time, every time, with even flow of ink and no skipping. The nib is not quite as stiff as the smaller nib found on the usual piston-filled Delta.

L1010895.JPG

L1010896.JPG

The top two pens have the standard sized nib found on the piston-filled pens (here the Chatterly Blue Mare IT and Stantuffo II), and the Delta with #8 nib on bottom.

L1010897.JPG

L1010901.JPG

Here is a view of the Delta nib compared with a MB 149 and MB 146 nib.

L1010911.JPG

The Delta nib and a Pelikan 1000 nib.

Filing System & Maintenance: 10/10

]The filling system is the standard Delta piston. I'm a big fan of piston filled pens. It is simple, no gimmicks, and very reliable. The plunger moves effortlessly, and has the familiar Delta clicking when the plunger is fully retracted. It holds an ample amount of ink, and has been very reliable.

L1010902.JPG

L1010903.JPG

Cost & Value:

Considering that there is no other place to get this Delta combination of an OS nib with a piston filling mechanism other than from Chatterly pens, I'd say the price is fair and a reasonable value for anyone interested in this combination.

Conclusion: 10/10

A beautiful black celluloid pen with rose gold vermeil trim that includes an oversized #8 nib, which writes like a dream and is a pleasure to hold.

Steve Z.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lszuk

• raging.dragon

• Ghost Plane

• ArchiMark

Excellent review of an excellent pen!

Thanks for sharing it..

I echo your sentiments as I have one of the other Stantuffo's from Bryant, the one with the beautiful brown tones running through it. Love to look at it and write with it too....

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I've been eyeing this one on Bryant's website since it was introduced. The big nib very much appeals to me. However, I don't like the combination of rose gold trim with rhodium and yellow gold nib. If this pen had a rose gold nib (either single tone or two tone with rhodium), silver trim or yellow gold trim I'd be sorely tempted.

As for the other stantuffo grande pens: I don't like Pompeii's yellow celluloid with gold trim (I think the celluloid might look better with silver trim), I am quite fond of the Circo's red marbled celluloid with silver trim but I don't really like it's cap bands (I'm not a fan of the stock Dolce Vita cap band, I much prefere either the dual engraved bands used in several other Delta/Chatterly collaborations, or the single engraved band of the Marmo Veneto). Overall the Circo is my favourite in this series, but I hope to see more of them in the future!

Edited by raging.dragon

Excellent review of an excellent pen!

Thanks for sharing it..

I echo your sentiments as I have one of the other Stantuffo's from Bryant, the one with the beautiful brown tones running through it. Love to look at it and write with it too....

Thanks for your kind words. It was my first review, and hit some snags with posting pictures, but with help from Ajoe on the photography forum, I was able to finally include pictures.

I've been eyeing this one on Bryant's website since it was introduced. The big nib very much appeals to me. However, I don't like the combination of rose gold trim with rhodium and yellow gold nib. If this pen had a rose gold nib (either single tone or two tone with rhodium), silver trim or yellow gold trim I'd be sorely tempted.

As for the other stantuffo grande pens: I don't like Pompeii's yellow celluloid with gold trim (I think the celluloid might look better with silver trim), I am quite fond of the Circo's red marbled celluloid with silver trim but I don't really like it's cap bands (I'm not a fan of the stock Dolce Vita cap band, I much prefere either the dual engraved bands used in several other Delta/Chatterly collaborations, or the single engraved band of the Marmo Veneto). Overall the Circo is my favourite in this series, but I hope to see more of them in the future!

I asked Bryant about more piston sized pens with the #8 OS nib, and he said there were more coming in a month or so........ hopefully there will be one that suits you more than those available.

Steve

Very nice, thanks for sharing. There are now so many similar models made by Delta, with #6 and #8 nibs, things have gotten a bit confusing. Add to that some folks listing their (large, yes) piston fillers as oversize models in their reviews or ads. Your descriptions and photo comparisons are very helpful. Can't wait to see what Bryant comes out with next.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great review on an equally lovely pen :) thanks very much for sharing. I am a huge fan of Delta and Chatterler Pens Stantuffo pens so this is right up my alley unfortunately :thumbup:

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Have no fear... I have a Rose Gold nib for you! I had a customer buy a pen with the oversized Rose Gold trim (Mocha Grande), but opted for the two toned nib... So now, I have a sad number 8 rose gold nib, just waiting to go home with you on a Classico Grande. Both nib and pen are very anxious to merged as one and take the trip up north! :)

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Have no fear... I have a Rose Gold nib for you! I had a customer buy a pen with the oversized Rose Gold trim (Mocha Grande), but opted for the two toned nib... So now, I have a sad number 8 rose gold nib, just waiting to go home with you on a Classico Grande. Both nib and pen are very anxious to merged as one and take the trip up north! :)

Terrible timing, as you already have my pen money for the next few months... I'll email you to see if we can work something out.

Received this handsome pen with the large nib this week from Bryant (Thanks, Bry!...)....

Like the other Delta Stantuffo's I've have, this a very high quality and beautiful pen. The huge oversize nib is a real plus along with Delta's smooth and clock-like precision feeling piston filler.

The celluloid feels nice and warm in the hand.....

Great pen!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Do you use your Deltas?

Because the ink window looks so clean like never inked up.

But anyhow you got some really beautiful Deltas.

Thanks for the review and images.

Sascha

So far my windows are all clear, but I've used Iroshizuku inks or Herbin. Not sure how they'll hold up once I hit the higher saturation brands.

Do you use your Deltas?

Because the ink window looks so clean like never inked up.

But anyhow you got some really beautiful Deltas.

Thanks for the review and images.

Sascha

Yes, I use them all the time. I clean them thoroughly after each use, and have not had any staining. Thanks for your kind words.

Steve

Bad news for my budget! :headsmack:

for me as well. I will however need to think about it more seriously.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 weeks later...

Delta looks very close like stypula and hero.

Are their manufacturings shared?

No. Delta and Stipula both buy their nibs from Bock. Otherwise, I don't believe there is any commonality of manufacturing.