The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaigelu 368 Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 14:09

Kaigelu 368 Review.

This is a very brief review of one of my wife's four Kaigelu 368 Pens. I know exactly how much they cost, as it was one of seven Kaigelu pens I gave her for Christmas - however she may possibly read this review and I'm not telling!
The pen is one of four different varients of this pen, they come in Black, Red, Green and Brown all with a white swirl. The pens came with a small clear cellophane sleeve and a velveteen sleeve, so I modified a nice box to take and display all seven pens for her Christmas present.
The pen is an open nib pen with a chrome plated section and chrome furniture. The biggest surprise was the material of the cap & barrel. I was expecting plastic resin with a contrasting colour stripe cast in the resin as can be seen on a number of custom pen blanks. It's actually painted metal with a printed white stripe.

Initial Impressions.

The initial impression was 'This is a low end pen', but it is actually really well built & comfortable. The initial colour is well painted over a metal ground and the stripes are painted on. There do not appear to be any blemishes and the chrome plating should last a long time.

The pen is as below:
Uncapped:
Posted Image

The nib & section look nice, as shown below.
Posted Image

The pen dimensions are:
Length, Capped: 134.5mm (5.30")
Length, Uncapped: 118.5mm (4.67")
Length, Posted: 159mm (6.26")
Barrel Diameter: 11.5mm (0.45")
Weight: approx 45g
Construction
I think this is a bottom range Kaigelu, however the chrome plating seems to be thick and well applied. The metal parts of the barrel and cap are lacquered, and the plated section is finished to a shape that will stop fingers from slipping down the section however hot & sweaty you get. The convertor is identical to the one found in the Kaigelu 306. The pen it is well put together, there are no sharp edges and it is well designed. The clip is secure and there are no sharp edges. The cap lip is reinforced with a separate machining and the edge is well finished. I have a slight concern over the durability of the printing of the white stripes, but with care it should last for years.
While it is a bottom of the range pen, it feels well made and durable, with good design and all the parts are well finished, giving an admirably smooth surface.

Writing
I've not written with it inked, but the nib looks smooth and the tines well aligned under a loupe. The point is on the fine side of medium, not as fine as the Kaigelu 306, but not as wide as the medium on the Kaigelu 316. The nib itself is not one found on any other Kaigelu, and looks like a cross between the leaf shape of the Parker Latitude and some of the more slender Jinhao nib shapes.

The pen is well balanced whether posted or not. The size is perfect for my large hands trained to the size of the Parker 61 & 51. The weight is fairly high, but the section shape should prevent your fingers sliding down to the nib. All round, it's comfortable & very well built. Should be suitable for quite a few hours of writing at a time.

Conclusion
This pen is yet another good Kaigelu. This is a very good school pen, and while the finish may not last too long as a school pen, the pen itself should be as tough as old boots.

I hope this is of interest,

Richard.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:41

hello. thanx for another nice Kaigelu review. i've seen more and more of these pens (kaigelu in general) on ebay nowadays.

i got my first keigelu from isellpens a few years back (model 323) and most recently the 316 in amber... i'm fond of the little roo!

here's the 323:
Posted Image

Edited by lovemy51, 10 February 2012 - 08:45.

#3 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:15

Maybe you could do a review of your 323. Tracy has got one, but I only saw it for a few seconds on the day she got it, and have never seen it since - let alone tried it!

Regards,

Richard.

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 00:33

done, Richard! see here: http://www.fountainp...58#entry2245458

#5 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:50

I love that white swirl on the red background.

#6 Frank Savage

Frank Savage

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 13:15

Based on this review, I got one to get the impression. I second to quite decent finish, the only complaint I have is the colour-the green seemed to be kind of emerald green on photos-but is rather military camo...

Little top-heavy when posted for my taste, but OK. The nib was smooth and well set, but the feeling was absolutely sterile-no problem, a bit of tweaking and this is much better.

I want to ask-are all Kaigelu nibs as thick and stiff, with no spring (not talking about flex, that has been talked about many times regarding chinese pens)? This nib is so massive and nail-ish, I can lend it with no hessitation or use it to write on carbonless copy forms...

There´s no great matter about things in your hands.
Important is, how can you use them.

A life-taught experience

#7 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2016 - 16:26

The K368 seems particularly rigid. However it none of the steel nibbed pens are even 'soft'. The 319 with a tiny gold nib is soft rather than flexy.

Regards

Richard

Sponsored Content

|