The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Sailor 1911 Realo With Zoom Nib.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wiz9777

wiz9777

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:49

Being new to fountain pens, I was having a hard time choosing nib sizes. I like specialty nibs like the Noodler Ahab, but I wanted to get a signature pen or an everyday pen. After seeing Stephen Brown's video on YouTube, about the Sailor 1911 large with a zoom nib. I knew I had to start there. The only difference from the video is I got the Realo model which has the piston filler.
Now let me just say when I met my wife I was driving a Saturn SL2 4 door. She was driving a Mercedes-Benz convertible. That is the difference in smooth quality this Sailor has over anything I had. I love my Ahab pens, and the Kaweco classic sport, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
I know a lot of people here don't like the zoom nib, but I am VERY happy. When I hold the pen as I usually do (in the webbing between the 1st knuckles of my thumb and index finger) I get a very broad line. Between the 1st and 2nd knuckle of my index finger it is probably a broad. In line with the 2nd knuckle (basically vertical) a medium line. Finally holding the nib inverted, a very thin line. That is cool to me because I got four pens in one. My writing skills are not that great, so I can't get the flex look that Stephen Brown got in his video... yet. But, as an everyday / signature pen, it is fantastic. I got the pen from Nibs.com and I have to say it again... The nib is like glass! When I got the pen yesterday, and inked it up, the 1st stroke almost slid right off the edge of the test paper. This is the 1st time I spent any real money on a pen and I am glad I did. I will hold on to this pen for a very long time. The first thing I signed with it, on the day I got it, was the guest book at my grandfathers viewing.

Attached Images

• IMAG0648-1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 wiz9777

wiz9777

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:56

Just a quick doodle with my new pen.

Attached Images

• IMAG0650-1.jpg

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:30

Sweet pen! I even like the black body with Rhodium accents, normally I like gold trim. It's nice to see a sample of the zoom nib too. How's the piston filler, I keep looking at the Pro Gear Realo.

#4 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 20:12

Enjoy the pen wiz!

#5 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 20:34

Nice, thanks for sharing. I love the zoom nib, and I love the REALO 1911. The two together, priceless! For your encore get one of these, you'll love it.

Edited by jandrese, 07 February 2012 - 20:42.

#6 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 22:23

What's a zoom nib please?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#7 wiz9777

wiz9777

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 23:11

What's a zoom nib please?

As I mentioned holding the pen at different angles gives different line widths.
This is the video that sparked my interest in this pen. He explains it much better than I can.

#8 wiz9777

wiz9777

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 23:19

Sweet pen! I even like the black body with Rhodium accents, normally I like gold trim. It's nice to see a sample of the zoom nib too. How's the piston filler, I keep looking at the Pro Gear Realo.

It is actually black and gold. The camera flash on my smartphone washed out the accents. As for the piston filler... It was easy to fill. It holds a good amount of ink. Other than that I can't say much more, yet. I just got it yesterday, filled it, and ran out the door. Sorry, I can't be much help on this.

#9 wiz9777

wiz9777

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 23:27

Nice, thanks for sharing. I love the zoom nib, and I love the REALO 1911. The two together, priceless! For your encore get one of these, you'll love it.

WOW! That nib looks awesome! I can see one of those in my future.

#10 barleycorn

barleycorn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:51

I just received my new Sailor Large Zoom last week. Really like the weight and feel of the pen. I am still experimenting with the nib. Cool video - I always learn faster by picture than just reading someone's instructions. Mine is Black with Silver trim very classic understated look. I first tried it with a thinner ink and did not quite work properly so I filled it with Aurora Blue instead. Soo much nicer.

#11 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 19:17

Hi Wiz9777, Many thanks for your review, which I have thoroughly enjoyed and which actually prompted me to purchase a Sailor pen with a Zoom nib.
I have in fact just received from Engeika via eBay my Sailor Standard Size 1911 with a Zoom nib a couple of days ago, and I must say that I am really enjoying it. It's nib is really smooth and with the ability of altering the range of the nib's line width it is quite a novelty.
As an aside I would like to ask (if I may) if your father is of Maltese descent (I am Maltese) as I have had quite a number of friends with the surname Aquilina.

Sponsored Content

|