The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Copper Esterbrook Sj

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wtisaac

wtisaac

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:49

First Impressions (10)
This was an eBay pen, purchased specifically, because I wanted a copper colored Esterbrook to add to my collection. The posted pictures were good, but did not accurately reflect the excellent condition of this pen.

Appearance (10)
Simply put, this pen is a 10 out of 10, appearance - wise. The color is just beautiful. Copper (obviously) but polished to the point that it looks as though there is a clear coat finish over the iridescent copper color. The varying shades of copper seem to change as the pen is shifted in the light.

Design/Size/Weight (10)
The J series pens are a typical lever fill design; the company used economies of scale in the designs of their pens. What I mean is, despite the size of a given line, all used the same size pressure bars and sacs in all of their pens. Simple in design, but engineered with exacting standards and high quality materials.

Nib (10)
This pen came equipped with a Master series 9668 general writing nib. Esterbrook used screw in, interchangeable nibs in their pens. This one writes a fine, wet line. It’s not the least bit “scratchy”, and needs no “priming” if it has been sitting idle for days at a time.

Filling System (10)
Simple, lever filling system.

Cost and Value (10)
The pen cost me $15. The quality of this pen exceeds many of those in my collection costing MANY times more.

Conclusion (10)
This is one of the few pens in my collection that I would give straight 10 scores for. Not all of the Esties in my collection are this good. But this one is.....

Attached Images

• Copper Estie 1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:50

goodness, a perfect 10? i agree!!! :thumbup:

edited: i just noticed you have the 9668 nib and said it writes a fine line? i have that same nib in one of my desk sets and it's a med (in fact it looks like a med line on your notebook, unless written with a different pen). but i do agree on the smoothnes. it is possibly w/o a doubt my smoothest steel nib!!!

Edited by lovemy51, 07 February 2012 - 07:55.

#3 wtisaac

wtisaac

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 14:40

goodness, a perfect 10? i agree!!! :thumbup:

edited: i just noticed you have the 9668 nib and said it writes a fine line? i have that same nib in one of my desk sets and it's a med (in fact it looks like a med line on your notebook, unless written with a different pen). but i do agree on the smoothnes. it is possibly w/o a doubt my smoothest steel nib!!!

Couple of comments, one, the picture IS a little deceptive. That page was written with a different pen. I just opened it there and shot several different pens against it.

Second, I stated a fine line, but by Esterbrook and 1920's to 1960's standards, I would have to agree, that it is closer to medium than fine. However, I also use a lot of "modern" fountain pens. With all of the "modern" pens I have, this nib is finer than any of those, and why I kind of think with that mind set. That brings up a good point of dicussion. Does "fine" relate to the Golden Age of fountain pens, or todays standards? I'd like to know what other folks think.

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:14

Sweet little pen, congrats on the score. I'd call that nib a medium.

#5 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:20

Actually, I think the 9668 is listed as a Medium on Esterbrook's nib charts.

I had a LJ with a NOS 9668 and -- honestly -- it was the smoothest nib I have ever used. Smoother than the gold nibs on my Sheaffers, my Pelikan, etc.

#6 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 20:04

Nice pen and very good value at $15.

#7 Tumbleweedtoo

Tumbleweedtoo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:15

It was quite a disappointment for me to learn that my "cheap" steel Esterbrook nib wrote smoother and nicer than some of my "not cheap" gold nibs on far more expensive pens (such as Visconti or Pelikan). Until I tried an Esterbrook, I had doubted those who said a steel nib could write as well as a gold nib. They were right! Now, it appears, that except for the fact that I do not enjoy a pen as slim as an Esterbrook pen, I would have been very happy to have only a couple of Esterbrook pens and none others. I have one Eversharp pen with a gold nib, and I far prefer the Esterbrooks. I agree with your Perfect 10 score! :notworthy1:

All the Best,
T

#8 wtisaac

wtisaac

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:01

It was quite a disappointment for me to learn that my "cheap" steel Esterbrook nib wrote smoother and nicer than some of my "not cheap" gold nibs on far more expensive pens (such as Visconti or Pelikan). Until I tried an Esterbrook, I had doubted those who said a steel nib could write as well as a gold nib. They were right! Now, it appears, that except for the fact that I do not enjoy a pen as slim as an Esterbrook pen, I would have been very happy to have only a couple of Esterbrook pens and none others. I have one Eversharp pen with a gold nib, and I far prefer the Esterbrooks. I agree with your Perfect 10 score! :notworthy1:

All the Best,
T

T,
I may be telling you something you already know, but as to likeing a pen with a bit more girth, try out a "J" Esterbrook. It was their full size pen. I'm with you; though I love my Esterbrooks, I too prefer a slightly larger pen. This one was an SJ (smaller), my favorites are the J's.
- Will

#9 ticoun

ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:04

Great review! I have your pen's twin brother, but mine only deserves a score of 9, because of its small ink capacity (i suspect that the sac is too short) and its boring nib, a 1555 Gregg. I should get a 9314M for it, that would make it much better.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#10 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:46

Nice review, its great that these humble pens are still working hard and doing their job perfectly after so many years.

#11 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 14:54

I love that beautiful barrel pattern. Great review!

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#12 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 16:22

Congrats. Beautiful pen! :thumbup:

#13 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 17:47

You can get some of the Indian pen companies to fit a nib you supply so you can get a great honking big eyedropper fitted for Esterbrook nibs.

#14 keepitfresh

keepitfresh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2012 - 21:59

Thanks for the review! I've really been looking into getting one of these. I hear they're good, plus they have a nice look with a nice price point! I've seen some available through Ebay, but I'm more hesitant when making my used camera/pen purchases on Ebay though.
Posted Image
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

Sponsored Content

|