Comparison - Noodler's #41 Brown :: 41 - 2012

Sandy1

S/DT???????

Always something to learn with fountain pens.

Being more interested in shading inks, the new ink can get put in the line of future buys.

Which of the brown shading inks does it resemble?

Cafe des Iles?

Hi,

S/DT = Smear/Dry Times, which are included in Figure 6 with the Wet Tests.

I have not done an extensive analysis of shading characteristics of Brown inks. However, I did like the shading in Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon. (OoooLaLa!)

You may wish to view the extensive set of Sepia samples by dpritchard - he also used a flexi nib!

Bye,

S1

- - - - -

These are the few Brown inks I have reviewed:

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Maja

• dcpritch

• SamCapote

I am very, very happy that I "hoarded" four bottles of the original formula when I found out it was being changed.

Ditto, except eight.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I am very, very happy that I "hoarded" four bottles of the original formula when I found out it was being changed.

Ditto, except eight.

I only got three bottles of the old formula, but I probably won't live as long as you guys, so I'm not too worried about running out.

Thanks Sandy1 for the revealing comparison!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Hmm. The original definitely has a richer tone to it; the 2012 version appears to have better water-resistance in its favor....

Can anyone recommend a brown that has the same depth of color and saturation as the original formulation? I hadn't been looking at brown inks -- till now..... :blink:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You may wish to view the extensive set of Sepia samples by dpritchard - he also used a flexi nib!

Hi Sandy. When I did my sepia review (Part One and Part Two), I agonized over whether to include some of my favorite brown inks, among them and near the top of the list being Noodler's #41. In the end, I decided to compare only inks that were in the sepia tones (whatever that is - seems like anything but blue could qualify!), and I ended up with 30 inks. I think it would be really interesting to see something similar with all the brown inks - say, like what wimg did not too long ago, only expanded a bit.

— Samuel Johnson

Hmm. The original definitely has a richer tone to it; the 2012 version appears to have better water-resistance in its favor....

Can anyone recommend a brown that has the same depth of color and saturation as the original formulation? I hadn't been looking at brown inks -- till now..... :blink:

Hi,

As mentioned & listed above, I've taken a good look at but a few Brown inks.

Off the cuff, I suggest looking at Diamine Chocolate and Private Reserve Chocolat. Certainly neither match, but they provide a starting point for your inky adventure into the Brown inks.

My Reviews are intended to support comparison of the Written Samples by carrying forward a few of the same pen+paper combos, and to avoid posting comparisons such as this. Each person can can make ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of their browser windows (tiles / panes) to display inks simultaneously on their monitor.

Bye,

S1

LOL....that meant "no" to your suggestion, David.

Hi,

As mentioned & listed above, I've taken a good look at but a few Brown inks.

Off the cuff, I suggest looking at Diamine Chocolate and Private Reserve Chocolat. Certainly neither match, but they provide a starting point for your inky adventure into the Brown inks.

My Reviews are intended to support comparison of the Written Samples by carrying forward a few of the same pen+paper combos, and to avoid posting comparisons such as this. Each person can can make ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of their browser windows (tiles / panes) to display inks simultaneously on their monitor.

Bye,

S1

I found that PR Chocolat was a bit redder than the original Noodler's # 41 Brown.

How about Noodler's Walnut? The ink comparison tool at Gouletpens.com seems to indicate that the two are pretty similar... (to my eyes, at least :D )

snip

Thanks Sandy1 for the revealing comparison!

snip

Hi Sandy. When I did my sepia review (Part One and Part Two), I agonized over whether to include some of my favorite brown inks, among them and near the top of the list being Noodler's #41. In the end, I decided to compare only inks that were in the sepia tones (whatever that is - seems like anything but blue could qualify!), and I ended up with 30 inks. I think it would be really interesting to see something similar with all the brown inks - say, like what wimg did not too long ago, only expanded a bit.

Hi,

You're welcome!

While your amazing Sepia Series was in the works, IIRC I mentioned imposing a numeric cap of ten or so 'true' Sepia inks. I continue to be astonished at the scale of work that was posted. :clap1:

I agree that 'something similar' with all the Brown inks would be interesting indeed, and I would not dissuade one from doing so.

I think that to extend your Sepia Series to include other Brown inks has value. For such work, I believe that it is essential that the inks be prepared and presented in a way that enables comparison. So same pens, papers, imaging and person doing the work. (The method also used by Member wimg.) It was evident that Members with access to rare inks (vintage, limited production, exclusives, etc.) were more than willing to contribute - which is excellent!

Clearly, I find doing reviews more satisfying than comparisons. As discussed, my approach is quite different, choosing to review an ink prior to a ♢ possible comparison Topic or Post. As my scope is large, the scale needs to be small if a body of work for a specific use is to be completed within a satisfactory time.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Ha! You did try to help me by suggesting I limit my sepia comparison to 10 inks. If only I had listened to you! In the end, I'm glad to have compared as many inks as I did, but I sure don't think I'm up for another such project anytime soon. Right now, I'm waiting for geoduc's comparison review of dusky green inks.

Your reviews, Sandy, are the gold standard, and the first place I look when deciding on an ink. :thumbup:

— Samuel Johnson

Ha! You did try to help me by suggesting I limit my sepia comparison to 10 inks. If only I had listened to you! In the end, I'm glad to have compared as many inks as I did, but I sure don't think I'm up for another such project anytime soon. Right now, I'm waiting for geoduc's comparison review of dusky green inks.

Your reviews, Sandy, are the gold standard, and the first place I look when deciding on an ink. :thumbup:

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment!

I certainly agree that one can go a bit too far, is glad to have done so, but won't be doing it again any time soon! (Famous last words!) :rolleyes:

When I did the OOTT series of ten Blue inks, I didn't think it would be too too much until I realised that forty-five comparison Topics would be required. Ooops!

So now that I'm doing Reviews of eleven Brown inks, I'll only post comparison Topics such as this if there is more value, (even as one person's reference point), than can be derived from an ad hoc comparison using tiled browser windows. So it is likely that only inks which are quite close in appearance will receive a comparison of this sort: Is there significant value to be added, or responding to perceived need, aka curiosity?

I have tried comparing three inks, but I'm not so sure if the format is quite right. LINK

I think we all contribute in our own way to FPN, and in that each of us have different ways of working and areas of interest, it makes FPN all the more diverse and interesting.

Bye,

S1

Couldn't find any of the old formulation of # 41 Brown at the local pen store yesterday :(

I am, however, curious to try the Noodler's Walnut so when it comes in, I'll ask the store owner to save me a bottle. :D

Huge thanks go out to Sandy, for the awesome comparison of the two formulations of # 41 Brown! :clap1:

Just out of curiosity, is there a difference on the bottle label to know which is which?

Just out of curiosity, is there a difference on the bottle label to know which is which?

I have only the first iteration of #41, so I can't say first hand, but at post #15 above Rachel Goulet said the new bottles have "2012" on the label.

— Samuel Johnson

Couldn't find any of the old formulation of # 41 Brown at the local pen store yesterday :(

I am, however, curious to try the Noodler's Walnut so when it comes in, I'll ask the store owner to save me a bottle. :D

Huge thanks go out to Sandy, for the awesome comparison of the two formulations of # 41 Brown! :clap1:

Hi Maja,

You're welcome!

I still come across my now-discontinued daily writer ink 'in the wild', and have actually enlarged my cache over the years. (The latest lode was found in Peru.)

I like to think that you'll have the same experience, and come across a bottle of the Original #41 - even if you don't happen to visit Peru.

Bye,

S1

I'm curious about the 2012 as well: I've just received a new bottle from the Goulets, so it should be the new version, but I can't find the year anywhere on the bottle or the box.

I haven't used the ink yet (still have my first bottle, of which I'm not sure if it's the old or the new version; bought it last year, but it was from a store in Germany so it might have been old stock), but I took a careful snif and didn't find it to smell bad at all: sort of generally 'inky' in smell.

I have other inks that smell a lot worse...

Ugh, I am so bummed. The original was probably my favorite ink. Based on this comparison and your other review, I am going to need to find a new staple brown.