The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1970 Mb 149 Medium Broad Stub Review

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:14

hi gang

Another review of a 149, my seventh one.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

best regards

georges
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

#2 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:32

That looks like a great nib. Thanks for the review.

I found the 149 section too thick for comfort, but a similar nib in an early 146 would be heavenly. :cloud9:
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#3 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:57

That looks like a great nib. Thanks for the review.

I found the 149 section too thick for comfort, but a similar nib in an early 146 would be heavenly. :cloud9:

Truts me you would try this pen, you would want it ;) The 70's-80's 146 offer very good nibs too. I am also looking for the transitionnal 146 described here
http://www.fountainp...sitional-model/ never seen one but I might go for the hunt of this rare pen
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#4 zyxwvutsr

zyxwvutsr

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 00:02

I hope you don't think I am being a (bleep) for this, but:

The FE-210's Super Macro mode has an operating distance of 2.0" (50mm) to infinity. The zoom is fixed in Super Macro mode, and the flash is disabled. To use Super Macro mode, first press the shooting mode button (red camera icon). Turn the mode dial to any mode except [GUIDE]. Next, press the Macro mode button (flower icon on the arrow pad) to launch the Macro mode menu. Use the Up or Down arrows to select the Super Macro icon (flower preceded by the letter "s"), and then press the [OK] button to activate the selection. The Super Macro icon will be displayed on the LCD to indicate that Super Macro mode is active.

The images don't do the pen justice. Put your camera in macro mode, get a lot of diffuse light on the subject, and hold the camera still. (Prop it against something or get a little tripod or something.)

Edited by watch_art, 05 February 2012 - 02:03.

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:40

no more reviews :gaah:

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 13 February 2012 - 12:06.

#6 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:01

Nice 149. But, is it displayed on bricks in the 1st pic? Wouldn't want you to put a scratch on that lovely. Just concerned and curious.
IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:21

Nice 149. But, is it displayed on bricks in the 1st pic? Wouldn't want you to put a scratch on that lovely. Just concerned and curious.

No these are not bricks, it is a tiled table and it won't scratch my pen

#8 fenriz

fenriz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 17:57

Good review! I like knowing that there are MB nibs like the one you describe from this era. I've seen 149's sell for under $500 US, and so I'll be on the hunt for one in the next year or so. My dad's got a 149 that I've been using for a while, just to get a feel for it, but the grip section doesn't work for me! I wish it were curved; it's too huge and unforgiving. My penmanship isn't nearly as good with this pen as it is with my Pelikan M800 or my 146. Still, the massive proportions of the 149, the extravagant nib and cap, and its medium heft are all attractive enough that I still want one. MB nibs are fantastic, in my experience. I will adapt to the grip section if I'm fortunate enough to pick 149 up for myself.

#9 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2012 - 18:07

Nice review, nice pen.

#10 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:04

Wow lovely pen George's. I have been using your reviews for 149's that I want to acquire. I have my first 146 and 149 coming. The 149 is an early 90's model. I have a feeling the nib is going to be boring in comparison to my 146 which is a 70's with a ob nib. I am going to have to go through all your reviews to figure out what to shoot for next. Nice review as usual

#11 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 21:45

George, you can never have too many 149's...especially those 1970's with their lovely flex and ebonite feeds. Just magnificent pens. Can you clarify what you mean by it being a Med Broad Stub? Did it start as a Med nib, and someone custom ground it to be a Broad stub, or is that more of a description of the amount of stubbishness?

As far as that one complaint on the blurred images, that's only because the majesty of these pens and their artistic scrolled nibs deserves to be seen powerfully. In any case, your reviews are very much appreciated. Look at the views, even if everyone doesn't take the time to add comments/questions.

:thumbup:
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#12 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 22:38

George, you can never have too many 149's...especially those 1970's with their lovely flex and ebonite feeds. Just magnificent pens. Can you clarify what you mean by it being a Med Broad Stub? Did it start as a Med nib, and someone custom ground it to be a Broad stub, or is that more of a description of the amount of stubbishness?

As far as that one complaint on the blurred images, that's only because the majesty of these pens and their artistic scrolled nibs deserves to be seen powerfully. In any case, your reviews are very much appreciated. Look at the views, even if everyone doesn't take the time to add comments/questions.

hi sam

One of my 149, the 1972 one, has a short shoulder long tines nib which has certainly been reground because I have checked under a loupe and it doesn't look like a montblanc tipping but rather a custom one almost I thought at the beginning that it was a custom one. This one the 1970 has a tapered shoulders long tines nib and its original tipping but the amount of flex and line variation is so amazing that I have the impression to have three nibs in one pen.

#13 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57

hi sam

One of my 149, the 1972 one, has a short shoulder long tines nib which has certainly been reground because I have checked under a loupe and it doesn't look like a montblanc tipping but rather a custom one almost I thought at the beginning that it was a custom one. This one the 1970 has a tapered shoulders long tines nib and its original tipping but the amount of flex and line variation is so amazing that I have the impression to have three nibs in one pen.

Interesting on the custom ground/tipped one. I was also lucky enough to get one of those great flex/line variations from member JellyBelly a couple years ago. I think he said it was around 1972. Thanks again!
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Sponsored Content

|