The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Grifos Nero Muse "pillars Of Hercules" In Sterling Silver

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 20:24

I came to know about the Grifos pen company a few years back when its owner, Maurizio Stura joined FPN under the user name Stubnib and wrote a few posts about it. Then FPN member Diplomat wrote this excellent piece on the Grifos pen company: link to article

I was immediately interested, but at that time IIRC, the company was offering pens with only snap shut caps and plastic sections. A recent review about this pen reminded me of this company again and this time I decided to obtain the pen. I contacted the owner, Mr Stura, directly. He is a superb person to deal with, he immediately pointed me to their website, I shortlisted a few models, obtained a quote and then I settled for this pen called the Pillars of Hercules. I ordered it with a BB steel nib, more on it below.

The pen was shipped from Italy by registered on the 23rd of January 2012 and It was delivered to me yesterday 03rd of February 2012.

The pen came packed in a simple, adequate bubble envelope, they even have their own customised packing tape!

Posted Image

The pen box is very similar to the older Sheafer Targa boxes with an outer velvet lining, a box of carts was included with the pen:
Posted Image

The box opened along with the Guarantee booklet:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Onto some pen pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gripping section closeups at diffrent exposures:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hallmarks on the Sterling silver section:
Posted Image

Hallmarks on the Sterling silver barrel
Posted Image

Feed and nib:
Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to ask Maurizio about this, I had ordered a BB, but the nib that came is at best, a fat M by western standards. However The pen is a very good writer. I have filled the converter with R&K Konigsblau and the flow is even without any skips. The nib is very smooth and it is a rigid point.

A lot of attention has been paid to the details. Since the design is a helical guilloche, and the cap is threaded on type(single leading thread, 1-1/2 turns to cap off), care has been taken to match the screw insert in such a fashion that the continuity in maintained in the helix from the barrel to the cap. Very impressive!

Posted Image

Cap band engraving, does not look like a laser job.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Pen Opened:
Posted Image

Solid Sterling silver construction:
Posted Image

Strong barrel threads:
Posted Image

A size comparison:
Posted Image
L-R: YOL Viceroy Standard Barley, YOL Viceroy Grand Barley, Grifos, Parker Sonnet Fougere

I really like this pen, what is there not to like? It is inexpensive for a solid silver pen(much lesser than the 200USD mark), writes well, is constructed to be strong, features a threaded cap, looks gorgeous.

Other than the really high end and extremely well done Sterling pens like the CP series pens, I am not aware of any other company offering such a diverse range of Guilloche patterns as Grifos. It is a brand worth consideration.

I hope this review with my initial impressions of this pen will be useful. I will update this thread with a long term usage report in due course.

Regards,
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 mbradley

mbradley

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:13

Thanks for the review Hari. It looks like a nice pen. I will have to check out the website. Enjoy your new pen.

Michael

Edited by mbradley, 05 February 2012 - 04:14.

#3 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:40

Hari,
Another great review. Great pics. How does the pen feel in the hand compared to the YOL grand? I am actually wanting to see a writing sample with RK Blue ink.

Regards
Jayant

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:27

Thank you Michael, Jayant for your kind comments.

Jayant, here is the writing sample:

Posted Image

As you can see, the YOL has the stated nib width. The Grifos has a M line.

The Grifos is quite light as compared to the YOL grand. The Grand does not need to be posted, but I find that the Grifos is well balanced for me when posted. Both the pens are really different so it is difficult to compare them.

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:34

Thanks for the writing sample Hari. I don't know why I asked for the YOL comparison :headsmack: . You actually answered the question I had regarding the twisted guilloche and the comfort.

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:16

Nice new pen Hari! Great review. Does it come with an international converter? Let us know what you hear about the nib.

Edited by Uncle Red, 05 February 2012 - 21:26.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:03

Nice new pen Hari! Great review. Does it come with an international converter? Let us know what you hear about the nib.

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, an international converter was included, prefitted to the pen. I will let you know what Maurizio has to say about the nib, i just wrote a letter to him a few hours back.

Best
Hari

#8 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:23

dear hari,

it is such a nice looking pen, seems to be hefty but so beautiful. and the nib is smooth too. the engraving is better than what i have seen on most pens and i would say is truly stunning. i feel that this pen maker will go on to become a coveted brand.

in fact the pen matches the owner. heartiest congrats on acquiring the pen.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#9 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:49

Hello Hari,
As usual a detailed review with very nice pictures! Congratulations on your new acquisition.
You really like sterling silver pens! Did you forget to include your Ratnam/Ratnam Sons silver pen?
Best wishes!
Abhik

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:55

heartiest congrats on acquiring the pen.

Thank you Krishna.

Hello Hari,
As usual a detailed review with very nice pictures! Congratulations on your new acquisition.
You really like sterling silver pens! Did you forget to include your Ratnam/Ratnam Sons silver pen?
Best wishes!
Abhik

Thanks Abhik, nice to hear from you. Sterling Silver is a nice pen material, i have been slowly accumulating some pens over the years. I have not forgotten the Ratnamson 42P, I was using it last month, then polished it and stored it away. This was only a quick comparison picture, someday I will photograph my entire group of sterling pens.

Best
Hari

Edited by hari317, 07 February 2012 - 13:56.

#11 shrujaya

shrujaya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 15:12

Hari...congrats on your new acquisition...lovely looking pen...I especially liked the paraphernalia that came along with the pen...and needless to say, your photos are wonderful...enjoy writing...

Jai
Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 15:52

Thank you Jai. I was pleasantly surprised by the guarantee booklet myself. They seem to have much more models than what is shown there, e.g. this pen does not feature on the pamphlet.

Best
Hari

#13 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 17:37

Beautiful pen, congrats. It's a pity a sterling silver pen doesn't come with a gold nib, though.

Posted Image

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2012 - 17:52

Beautiful pen, congrats. It's a pity a sterling silver pen doesn't come with a gold nib, though.

Thank you. The pen is available with a gold nib option, I cheaped out and chose the steel nib.

#15 CRB

CRB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 00:47

Thanks for the fine review and pictures, Hari. I'm glad to see another Grifos pen be reviewed. That pattern is one of the most pleasing to me of any Grifos sterling pen.

I have the sterling moire pattern, and like it very much; I may attempt a review of it. One thing that bothers me a little is that the threaded cap makes quite a bit of metal on metal noise, when opening and closing it. I wonder if you notice that with your pen. I'm not sure what could be done to lessen it, but it seems not luxurious.

Enjoy your pen.

Best,
Joe

#16 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:14

Thanks for the fine review and pictures, Hari. I'm glad to see another Grifos pen be reviewed. That pattern is one of the most pleasing to me of any Grifos sterling pen.

I have the sterling moire pattern, and like it very much; I may attempt a review of it. One thing that bothers me a little is that the threaded cap makes quite a bit of metal on metal noise, when opening and closing it. I wonder if you notice that with your pen. I'm not sure what could be done to lessen it, but it seems not luxurious.

Enjoy your pen.

Best,
Joe

Thank you Joe. I was considering the Moire also. In fact, I think I saw a picture of your pen that you had posted in another thread. Pls do post a review.

I can feel the threads on my pen but no squealing noises yet. That is the typical problem when both the threads are made from the same material. I can already see that Grifos has taken measures to minimise this noise, the thread profiles is acme like on the cap and much finer on the pen barrel thus providing good clearances. The cap's leading thread start has been given around 7 axial "cuts" so that it helps lock the cap when fully closed.

Best
Hari

#17 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 17:17

Nice one Hari, it should be heavy like a hammer. Is it tiring to use for a long time?
Ciao

#18 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 18:57

Hi Diplo, Yes, it is a heavy pen at 42 gms approx, but lighter than the YOL Grand for example at 60gms. The pen is curently out of my rotation, maybe it will come back in a few months.

Best
Hari

Sponsored Content

|