The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Imperial International

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:41

It's been a long while since I've reviewed a pen, but here is a simple, understated pen that is worthy of a review. The Bexley Imperial International is the little sister to the much larger Bexley Imperial. At 5.25" capped it is a perfect pocket pen. Unlike its big brother, the International is made out of acrylic rather than ebonite. But the acrylic used is high quality and in some interesting muted colors. My example is the burgundy with gold trim.

Posted Image

As you can see, this is an homage to the Nakaya portable/piccolo in design. The acrylic is highly polished as you can see by the reflections on the pen. The burgundy has enough interest that you could mistake the character for a touch of urushi lacquer. Lest I insult a Nakaya owner (I was one myself), it is not the artistic achievement of that pen, but it is also a fifth of the cost.

Posted Image

Apperance/Design. 10/10

The lines of the pen, the perfect complimentary design of the clip and the fit and finish are fantastic. The threads are smooth, and four turns opens and closes the pen.

Writing/Nib. 9/10

I have switched to a stable of almost all steel nibs. The Bexley steel nibs, like the Edison steel are fantastic. And I love that I can easily afford several sizes. I am running a fine in the Imperial now. The nibs are stiff (which I like).

Cost/Value. 10/10

I was fortunate to catch this pen on sale at Fahrney's for $111. Well worth it. At retail it is comparable to the Edison production line pens. I show it here next to my Edison Pearl (a custom Edison in Bedrock Flake acrylic).

Posted Image

Oh - and the Journal in the pictures is an Inkleaf Large Webnotebook cover in Bison. Highly recommended!!

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 18:37

Beautiful pen. Thanks for sharing.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2012 - 19:30

:thumbup: Very nice!

#4 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 20:44

I've been curious about the Bexley Imperials. Thanks for the review :)
Tamara

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:06

Jeez, you just had to mention a sale price like that, didn't you? I have been coveting this pen for a while now, and I see one of the grey ones at Fahrney's for $114. That's torture. Torture I say.

I'm glad you enjoy the pen as much as I always figured I would.

#6 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:22

beautifull pens... and journal!!

that step on the threads worry me...??!! :hmm1: how does it feel?

#7 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2012 - 15:15

I don't know these pens that well, but I like the review and images. $111 seems like good value for a pen with such high marks out of ten, hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come.

#8 fermopagus

fermopagus

double dips the chips all the time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 15:17

+1. would like to hear if and how this effects writing comfort. great review and sharp looking pen for sure!
"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

#9 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 18:16

1328541454[/url]' post='2240603']

1328505741[/url]' post='2240346']

+1. would like to hear if and how this effects writing comfort. great review and sharp looking pen for sure!

The step is no issue for me. I can say the same for the Edison Pearl and Nakaya Piccolo. I was concerned about the narrow taper of the section, but it has turned out to be very comfortable. My thumb rests just at the threads, which are not noticeable. Actually much less sharp than a Pelikan.

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2012 - 23:03

I remember my first days on FPN, looking through page after page of reviews, wondering how some of these would actually FEEL in the hand, and thinking that the step must be the most horrible pen design of ALL time. I gotta say, after using several, and making a few with steps, that it's actually quite comfortable. I have no preference between the two. I like smooth barrels and fat barrels with steps just fine. Now, a loooooong skinny section with a fat barrel and big step is a deal breaker for me, unless the pen is so light that the balance isn't thrown off.

:)

Edited by watch_art, 06 February 2012 - 23:17.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#11 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 17:04

Great review, Opus104....

How does the Edison compare to the Bexley?

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#12 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 21:08

Great review, Opus104....

How does the Edison compare to the Bexley

The Edison has more girth and is a bit more substantial (i.e. the actual resin is thicker). Both are well made. I do like the longer section of the Imperial.

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:13

outstanding :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|