The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaweco Calligraphy Set

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:35

It looks like the nibs are not tipped, are they?

Gentian, your handwriting is intimidating.

It appears that the nibs on this particular set are not tipped.

As for gentian's calligraphic writing, it sure does intimidate me from even attempting to show my writing sample. Besides, the picture shots are are alot better than mine!
See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Sponsored Content

#22 Giordana

Giordana

Mmm springiness - sweet!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:00

Finally, about time someone mentioned the set! Lovely work as always, Gentian! :D

#23 dizzymizzy

dizzymizzy

The Mizz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:47

A few FPN users said that they don't like to use it as an eyedropper because ink gets behind the nib in the section (or something like that). Does anyone have any experience with this? Why would this be a problem? Can't it just be flushed/cleaned? Anyone with a picture of this?
---
Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

#24 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:04

A few FPN users said that they don't like to use it as an eyedropper because ink gets behind the nib in the section (or something like that). Does anyone have any experience with this? Why would this be a problem? Can't it just be flushed/cleaned? Anyone with a picture of this?

I have not intention in converting my Kaweco into an eyedropper fountain pen, but I saw this video via Goulet Pens and don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmN0-6biRM

More of a troubleshooting an eyedropper converted Kaweco pen.

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#25 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:08

Gentian, your handwriting is intimidating inspiring.

Fixed! ;) Time for me to go practise my calligraphy!

#26 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:12

I'm interested in getting a Kaweco Sport, and do wish that the calligraphy nibs could be ordered separately!

#27 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 17:17

I also wish you could get the nibs separately. But it's a lovely set, and if you do the math the price more or less makes sense.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#28 GooseDeluxe

GooseDeluxe

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:46

Does anyone know if the calligraphy nibs in this set fit in the Kaweco Liliput? I recently got the Liliput and while I like the fine nib, it would be cool to switch it for an italic nib on occasion.

MY ARTWORK
Posted Image
[sorry if the page does not load, the school server is sometimes slow]

#29 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20

Does anyone know if the calligraphy nibs in this set fit in the Kaweco Liliput? I recently got the Liliput and while I like the fine nib, it would be cool to switch it for an italic nib on occasion.

That's a very good question. If the nibs are compatible with the Kaweco Classic Sport line of pens, it should right? On JetPens, they list what nib replacements are compatible with it. It does not list Kaweco Classic Sport nibs as being compatible though.

Edited by 1point1mm, 26 February 2012 - 07:20.

#30 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• 2,943 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:16

I really like these nibs. The range of sizes is excellent. The 1.1mm nib could be used for every day script. Broad nib lovers would enjoy the 1.5mm nib a lot, but most would probably find it too wide for every day writing. The 1.9mm and 2.3mm nibs are definitely for special applications only (drawing, calligraphy, possibly highlighting text, etc.).

I have the comparable range of nib sizes for the Lamy Safari (1.1mm, 1.5mm, and 1.9mm). The Kaweco nibs have much more line variation. They are also sharper, but are still smooth and easy to write with. I prefer the Kaweco nibs. The Lamy nibs are more stub-like rather than italic.

The calligraphy pen is a standard black Kaweco Sport. Its cap jewel is silver to match the silver nibs (I added a silver clip to mine). I have another Sport in a chased pattern, which I like better, but that one has its own special nib so I am using the plain black Sport that came in the calligraphy set. The Sport is very light, but does appear well-made, especially for an inexpensive pen. It is quite small unposted; with the cap posted, it extends into a full-sized pen; I can hold mine comfortably either way, but I do usually post the cap.

I don't use it as an eyedropper only because mine jostles about in my bag or pocket and I don't want to risk a leak. The Sport is one of my travel pens; cartridges are more convenient for me. I can see the appeal of the eyedropper conversion, though, especially for these wide italic nibs (which will use up a small cartridge of ink quickly!), and with a dab of silicone grease on the threads, problems are pretty unlikely.

I don't have a Liliput, but the photos I have seen show it to be a very small pen (smaller than the Sport). I wouldn't think that the nibs would be compatible, but I don't know that for sure.

#31 dizzymizzy

dizzymizzy

The Mizz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:38

Thanks. I think I'm going to get a set. :-).... as long as the nibs are better than the Lamy pens.
---

#32 Waldenser

Waldenser

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:17

As far as I know all of the Kaweco Sport models and the Kaweco Liliput use the same size nib made by Bock. The differences are in the sleeve fixing the nib and feeder into the section. The nibs are the same.
"We may always know what is right but not always what is possible." - John Ruskin

#33 dizzymizzy

dizzymizzy

The Mizz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:31

Can the nib units be broken down and swapped? For example, can I put the calligraphy nib in a Kaweco Ice nib unit (instead of putting a black or white nib unit on a clear Kaweco Ice)?
---

#34 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 20:03

You should be able to do it, the nibs and feeds are presure fit in the section.

#35 gentian

gentian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:30

Can the nib units be broken down and swapped? For example, can I put the calligraphy nib in a Kaweco Ice nib unit (instead of putting a black or white nib unit on a clear Kaweco Ice)?

You can. It's friction fit as Uncle Red said. You twist and pull at the same time. In the photo I swapped it into the Sport Ice. I have an older style Sport Ice though, so the feed and nib are different. If this is the same for you, you have to swap the nib onto the original feed. The new style feed won't fit in the older style pens. It works great though.

#36 gentian

gentian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:32

You can fit it in the Liliput. It's the same size feed and it works well. Just twist and pull out the section. I've tried it :D Though admittedly it's not the most comfortable if you're doing a lot of lettering work.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

#37 teengkoh

teengkoh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:16

Oh I've been looking to get a decent calligraphy set. I think this one looks beautiful. *goes hunting for Kaweco*
Happy kitty.

#38 dizzymizzy

dizzymizzy

The Mizz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47

You can. It's friction fit as Uncle Red said. You twist and pull at the same time. In the photo I swapped it into the Sport Ice. I have an older style Sport Ice though, so the feed and nib are different. If this is the same for you, you have to swap the nib onto the original feed. The new style feed won't fit in the older style pens. It works great though.

Ohhh, I see it now. I missed the dark green section of your ICE.
---

#39 funkyzeit

funkyzeit

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:32

Is anyone able to advise me on this....please?
I love my Kaweco Sport AL FP but also love the Calligraphy set and,as i read that some of the nibs and stuff are interchangeable,is there anyone who can tell me if the calligraphy nibs will fit my Sport AL FP?
Jetpens do replacement nibs for approx 12 dollars and as I only ever use a 1.9 calligraphy nib, I really don't wanna have to use beer money on a complete callig set when I already have my AL Sport.
I would also like if anyone could tell me how to get one in the UK as it costs as much in postage from Jetpens!!
Cheers everyone. :thumbup:

#40 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2012 - 13:21

Is anyone able to advise me on this....please?
I love my Kaweco Sport AL FP but also love the Calligraphy set and,as i read that some of the nibs and stuff are interchangeable,is there anyone who can tell me if the calligraphy nibs will fit my Sport AL FP?
Jetpens do replacement nibs for approx 12 dollars and as I only ever use a 1.9 calligraphy nib, I really don't wanna have to use beer money on a complete callig set when I already have my AL Sport.
I would also like if anyone could tell me how to get one in the UK as it costs as much in postage from Jetpens!!
Cheers everyone. :thumbup:

The AL Sport doesn't use the same nib as the other Sports: it uses the same nib as the Liliput, Dia2, etc. It's a screw in nib/feed unit, where the Classic, Ice, and Calligraphy set pens you just pull the nib and feed out.

If you only ever use 1.9, just get a Classic Sport with that nib. The Goulets are clearing those out right now: get one and a fistful of samples to make the shipping worthwhile. If the shipping is still too much, I would recommend a seller on ebay named "gidania"; he's a Kaweco dealer and could probably set you up with something. He's in Germany so the postage would be less for you. His prices are competetive, and he really knows his Kaweco.

No affiliations, etc., blah blah blah.

Edited to paste response after it vanished suddenly.

Edited by wastelanded, 25 July 2012 - 13:24.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sponsored Content

|