Edison Pen Company Group Buy

Trillium

Once it's more narrowed down to design, color, nib, and price... Then I can see what's what.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• Jimmy James

• kiavonne

• Lloyd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about extended Pearls? The only objection I hear about Pearls is the length. Plus it's a more unique pen. How about pitching two materials to Brian? One ebonite or celluloid and one acrylic? Acrylics usually are more inexpensive.

Considering the #76 and the Pearl for a moment, and acrylics only...

Three acrylics that I think would work well for either design are Swirl Burnt Chestnut acrylic, Swirl Midnight acrylic, and Swirl Nutmeg acrylic.

Two acrylics that I think would work well for the Pearl only are Mesh Indigo acrylic and Striated Navy Stripe acrylic. (Pretty much any interestingly figured dark color would complement the modern lines of the Pearl.)

I'm interested but I guess it'll depend on the price. I'm partial towards the Huron or the Mina.

I kind of like colors like pearlized wine, silver marble swirl, cappuccino swirl, blue ice swirl or burgundy swirl acrylic.

I'm interested ...

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I am interested.

Shape: NOT Stilwell, Del Coronado, Hudson, Glenmont, Morgan

Nib: Steel

Filler: C/C (bulb fillers, while interesting, add too much cost)

Greg

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

I'd definitely be interested at the right price, this might require a steel nib and c/c; but that might depend. I'd really be excited for a Pearl.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

This is a great idea. I am interested in:

Huron or Pearlette

Ebonite or Tortoise or something gold or brown flecked

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Once it's more narrowed down to design, color, nib, and price... Then I can see what's what.

+1 Especially price. I think I'll never be willing to spend what's needed for a custom pen, regardless of how wonderful it is. Never bought a suit that wasn't "off the rack" in my life. But I did spring for the Edison Herald with a custom nib... I'm still awaiting delivery.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Agreed that it needs to be either (1) a really great design at a good price, (2) a good design at a really great price, or (3) a really great design at a really great price. Otherwise, just pay full fare for a pen customized entirely to your individual specs.

Two suggestions:

1) Vote on a person to design the pen; and

2) If he is making 500 or 1000 of the same pen, no matter what it is made out of or if it has the bulb, it should be under $150.

Further, I think we should ask Howard Levy to make a new FPN pen.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Well, I revisited some thoughts.

The pen will be one of Brian's signature models, not a production model. Since we want it to be affordable to most involved, this eliminates both the Stilwell and the Del Coronado. Also, though many folks would like bulb fillers, bulb fillers raise the price by $100 and they are time intensive. In my opinion, it would likely be best to stick with the no frills cartridge/converter-eyedropper fill. A custom bulb filler could be had at a later time in the buyer's own material choice. There would be too much customization involved with the bulb filler to get the pen into a nice price range and still be able to aesthetically satisfy most folks.

For model, this leaves us with these signature line models (excluding the Herald which has gone production):

Pearl

Morgan

Huron

Mina

Glenmont

A couple of these models are extremely popular. However if we are going for a group buy that might lean toward the unique side for us, maybe we should consider the models that are not as vastly produced as others. Everyone wants a Pearl. I have one of the first Pearls Brian made. Great classic pen option to the Nakaya Piccolo, and more affordable. However, being so popular means there are a lot of them out there in all sorts of materials. I kind of want something not so common. I went to Brian's smugmug galleries and did a quick comparison. How many pages of gallery were dedicated to each model?

Pearl - 29 pages

Morgan - 9 pages

Huron - 17 pages

Mina - 8 pages

Glenmont - 8 pages

#76 - 5 pages

So, if we take away the top 3 models, the Pearl, Morgan, and Huron, we are left with the Mina, Glenmont and #76 as the models leaning to being that little touch of different than what the rest of the world has.

Advantages and disadvantages of these models. The Glenmont and #76 are both classic and reminiscent of days gone by. Both are clipped, but can be clipless. Both are full-sized pens. The Mina is slightly slimmer and smaller than the other two, and is clipless. However, it has lovely, unique shaping and can be "extended." It's more slender design allows for a slightly reduced price from the Glenmont or #76. The Glenmont can be posted, though I'm not sure how well (I've not seen one in person). The #76 and Mina models cannot be posted.

Material? Well, opinions can go all over here. Though striking in some acrylics, personally I think the #76 begs an exotic ebonite, but not a chaotic one. The green/black swirl was beautiful, in example, but the red/white/blue ebonite is a little too much, in my opinion. The Glenmont does well with both ebonites and acrylics, but I think it likes a more subtle tone, maybe a nice swirl that hasn't been used much or is new that not many have considered yet. The Mina also does well with both ebonites and acrylics, but it feels like it has more room for playfulness in the material. Material choice could take us forever to decide upon. So... Brian has hinted that he has unexpected things lurking in his shop. Let's ask him just what he has hidden away and maybe we will end up with a spectacular and unique material for our group buy.

Anyway, those are just some more thoughts.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I wouldn't buy a C/C. They are already available at several retailers and to tell the truth, they hold no interest for me. I don't need just another pen in my collection, even if it is an Edison. But a bulb-filler, that would be a special lifetime pen for me.

Maybe before we go too far down one path or another, a poll could be made to gauge the interest in C/C vs. Bulb and this conversation could continue on in a more focused way down one path or another. The filling mechanism seems to be the most central decision, upon which the rest of the choices will be based.