The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What To Write...

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 brownargus

brownargus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:22

Reminscences, life history while I can still remember things!
Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Sponsored Content

#42 Zaphodbeeblebrox

Zaphodbeeblebrox

President of the Universe

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:41

Eavesdrop......

Really, your encouraging people to eavesdrop!?!

Wow, now I know why I do not like going out in public!

Of course, eavesdrop. You don't say anything in a public place that you don't want the world to know. You don't put anything on paper or in a computer that you don't want the world to know. It has always been that way. Get used to it.

I was always taught it was impolite to eavesdrop, so it has not always been that way. Get used to it.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

#43 NeelsK

NeelsK

Closet Inkologist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:50

Reminscences, life history while I can still remember things!

+1

My dad is 73 years old and the only surviving member of his family. I bought him a lovely leather bound journal and asked him to write all the stories and memories he has of his family in there. He's really enjoying it. I hope :unsure:

#44 Shanonhurts

Shanonhurts

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:24

Hi Tyler,
I currently have 5 journals on the go.
1. A Monsieur lined notebook which I write my thought into and what has been going on, not necessarily every day but when I want to.
2,3 & 4 are Leuchtturn 1917 lined notebooks in different colours, one for each of my children that I record things that are particular to them when they happen which I plan to give them when their older.
5. Is a Rhodia dotted notebook which I use to write about and experiment with my pens and inks.

Just a few thoughts for you.

#45 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:35

I struggle with this too, writing work notes all the time can only get you very little mileage.

maybe i'll start a journal of random thoughts as suggested and see where it goes
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#46 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:58

This happens to me quite fequently. I have all these thoughts and feelings running arouind in my head but when I take pen in hand and sit down to write they just fizzle away, or I rationalize away the necessity or the effort to put them in writing. Writing random thoughts is a start, and I've since gotten over the idea of filling a nice journal with drivel (usually pi$$ing and moaning about something or someone). I also write a lot about my pens and ink, which makes me happy. I do like the idea of keeping seperate journals for different themes, though I'm yet to actually do it. Creative writing would be a good way to go too - perhaps find an old picture (Shorpy?) and write it's story. Isn't there a book that addresses developing creativity? - The Artist's way ?

Times like this (I wouldn't necessaritly call it writer's block but perhaps empty or lazy mind syndrome) are particularly tough for me because, for me, it's all about seeing the pen lay down ink on the paper. It's best when I write at night or in the early morning when I'm not wearing contacts and I can take my glasses off and get down really close to the paper and watch the letters form and the ink go down and evolve as it dries. I find it quite a personal and sensual process. Even though I've written a lot of drivel, I have to admit that my handwriting has improved. Though I'd still be loathed to inflict it on other people by writing letters.

There are a lot of good ideas here, so I'll extend my thanks to those who have posted.

Edited by Biber, 02 February 2012 - 16:01.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#47 Conker

Conker

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:28

I write longhand stories for my 3 year old grand daughter. I can work on my handwriting, work on my literary aspirations and intrigue my grand daughter, all at the same time.

#48 Think-Ink

Think-Ink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:55

Eavesdrop......

Really, your encouraging people to eavesdrop!?!

Wow, now I know why I do not like going out in public!

When I took creative writing classes, my professor suggested actually doing just that and recording it in a journal. She said it helps give you ideas for your characters and their dialog and that you start to pay more attention to normal/everyday language and structure.

Another idea though, that haven't been suggested yet to the OP (unless I missed it) was perhaps starting a dream journal? Where you just write down your dream from the night before (or at least what you can remember of it).

Edited by danahn17, 02 February 2012 - 16:56.

thINK: my pen & paper blog :)

#49 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 18:54

So guys, what do you do when you feel like writing with your fountain pen, but you have nothing to write?

I love my pens, but I often feel they don't get enough use. I love writing letters, but I don't have that many people to write to, who still enjoy that form of communication.

Any ideas? All suggestions appreciated!

Regards,
Tyler Dahl

Notes, quotations, doodles, to-do lists?

Letters to imaginary people?

#50 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 19:10

I tried something the other day that worked out far better than I imagined it would. I'm really new at this and I had a new pen, a new notebook and I was finished working for the day. So I went to a coffee shop, googled journalling and found a link to "100 journalling topics" or some such. Then I went to random.org and generated a random number and selected that topic to write about.

I was able to convince myself that the purpose was to use my pen on paper, not, necessarily respond to the topic, but to see where the topic took me. The first couple of paragraphs were about how dumb and trite the topic was. After that I got rolling and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#51 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 19:43

Letters to imaginary people?

Letters to deceased loved ones that you wish you could have spoken with.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#52 Skyppere

Skyppere

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 20:29

So guys, what do you do when you feel like writing with your fountain pen, but you have nothing to write?

I love my pens, but I often feel they don't get enough use. I love writing letters, but I don't have that many people to write to, who still enjoy that form of communication.

Any ideas? All suggestions appreciated!

Regards,
Tyler Dahl

=============
Write Letters!
Part of the reason you may think you have nothing to write about is you may think "no one would be interested in THAT!" But it's just the daily life and activities... the quotidian aspects of life that interests most of us. Here are ten conversation starters...
1. What's your favorite ____________ (kind of music, artist, move, television show, food)
2. what do you DO all day. What's your life like? what courses are you taking? Who are your favoite and least favorite teachers and why.
3. What do you want to do when you finish school? Doctor? Lawyer? Shepard?
4. What's for dinner? What do you like to eat when you go out?
5. what do you do for fun.
6. What are your political views? (some people don't like to talk about these issues but i do...over time you'll sort through those that do and those that don't.
7. What pens would you get if you had a LOT of money?
8. Like sports? Who're your favorite teams? Like physical activity? What kind?
9. read any good books lately?
10. questions, questions, questions... they're always good converstation starters plus it shows that you care about what's happening to them and in their lives?
11. What did you read in the news today that's interesting?
12. If you had tickets to go ANYWHERE, where would you go?

that should get you started... and oh yes, you could always write to me! You can self regulate this. Write to one or two people to start with... see how quickly they respond... if you could fit a few more on to your caravan, write to a few more... you'll find that some drop off the end. You can add someone else... Some people write back immediately, others take a month or so. To each his own...
Some people like the IDEA of writing letters more than actually,you know, WRITING to people... there's a list of people on FPN, there's another llst on Pentrace.com..
cheers
skyppere

#53 Skyppere

Skyppere

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 20:38

and let me just add.
1. I don't agonize over letters. I don't write them out and recopy them. If I make a mistake I cross it out.
2. in the words of Walt Whitman "do I contradict myself?Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes!" My paraphrase is "do I repeat myself? Very well then, I repeat myself..." I don't take notes on what I wrote to people.... once you write to someone when they write back you'll get a hint of what you said. And if you repeat a story, so what?
3. Don't feel YOU have to do all the heavy lifting. A good correspondant will make you want to grab a pen and write back.
4. strike while the iron is hot. I find that it's better to wait until I'm going to reply to read the letter, then I write down my immediate thoughts...
Ok, we're done here, shows over, nothing to see.... let's move along, folks.
cheers
skyppere

#54 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 21:54

Syppere, those aren't just great starters for writing a letter, they are great for any sort of conversation, whether in person or at a distance. Great ideas and suggestions! :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#55 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:06

I was going to send an email tonight to an organization, containing feedback, but instead I wrote a handwritten letter. Not only did I get to enjoy the pretty ink going on paper, but I found that writing my message by hand made me briefer and more focused. Perhaps it will get more attention than an email, as well.

In any case the experience was more pleasant than just furiously typing another email. It won't always be appropriate due to time constraints, but I'll consider doing this more often.

#56 ChuckClark

ChuckClark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:25

A couple of years ago i bought a journal and began writing to my wife. I wrote every day for ver six months. I wrote about the memories and the little thngs. I wrote about what i love about her and i wrote about the thngs that drive me crazy...things, not her. I wrote about some of my fears and i even aplogized for a coule of things from the past. I wrote every day. Sometimes for long periods of time.
On our 33rd wedding anniversary I wrapped it and gave t to her. I lovingly told her what it was and how much i wanted to share my love for her. Of course she cried and cried and cried and cried. And i mentioned to her that she didnt need to read it all in one day. I saw it around her favorite reading areas for weeks.
But it was great having a writing project.Posted Image

#57 asaha

asaha

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:33

I currently have three aspects for writing as following,

Journal

Practising Italic

Random writing just for enjoying the pen :roflmho:

#58 omegabenz

omegabenz

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:43

Right now, I am trying out all the cartridge inks that I bought from Mont Blanc the other day for my Traveller FP. I bought every color but black, partially because I already had black, and I prefer to write with any color other than black. I am just writing about the colors or whatever comes to mind. I am trying to decide on ink color and paper choice for some thank you notes that I need to write. Also, I feel like writing some letters to friends and I want to make a nice paper choice. I seem to like to write on linen paper with my fine nib Traveller, also writing on photopaper was pretty fun. Super smooth and great coverage. Sometimes, I write with my FP, take a picture then upload it or email it to a friend.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by omegabenz, 03 February 2012 - 08:36.

#59 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:48

Tyler, since you fix pens, why don't you start documenting each pen that comes to you? Describe each one, what issues it has, your ideas for fixing it, reminders to yourself, how long it took you, who you asked for advice for a particular task, success feelings... That makes a good source for your writing your blog, too.

I have a random thoughts journal, a dream journal, a small daily planner for work, and a formal journal. I write grocery lists, phone messages, reminders. I write in different colors, depending on my mood for the day.
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#60 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,400 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:08

Don't think. Just write.

Much of the block is related to a question of "inherent value of the written word". Once you are past that crippling barrier (by simply not acknowledging it), you will be surprised by what flows.

Keep a notebook and write every day.

Just write.
Too many pens; too little writing.

Sponsored Content

|