What To Write...

So guys, what do you do when you feel like writing with your fountain pen, but you have nothing to write?

I love my pens, but I often feel they don't get enough use. I love writing letters, but I don't have that many people to write to, who still enjoy that form of communication.

Any ideas? All suggestions appreciated!

Regards,

Tyler Dahl

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeelsK

• Zaphodbeeblebrox

• Bhavna

I know how you feel. There are plenty of days when I want to write something but nothing comes out. Have you tried writing favorite quotes? Or maybe random thoughts?

Every word written is a victory against death. -Michel Butor

(back after being away for a while)

I write about...the pen I'm using, the pens it shares the collection with, how they get on with each other, what I want from each pen, which one's should go, agonise over the expense of them all, what kind of ink teams up well with them...

and then some diary entry notes for shopping lists and maybe even some notes for workrolleyes.gif.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I keep several journals going at one time.

My large journal is the Earthworks with leather cover: I try to use different pens/nibs/ink combos to see how they do....I write what occurred during the day, my thoughts, things I've looked at, bought, played with, dreamed. And at the end of a page, I write a parenthesis and state the Pen,nib, ink that I wrote with. the next page gets another pen.

I like to write in several journals: Most are the small notebook type. Moleskine, quo vadis planner, Leuchtturm 1917. I actually write a bit in each one pretty much every day. And, sometimes it's the same stuff I wrote in my large journal...but I notice when I comment on it the second time, the emphasis is different.

It is a way for me to realize what I really think and believe. It is a kind of therapy: a "free association or stream-of-consciousness" sometimes.

I record conversations with friends, doctors; gifts I've given and to whom, etc. I've even written lists: of people at work that I admire, and why; of people at work that I despise, and why; of past girlfriends and our moments together; of near death experiences and what I think of them; of dreams I've had and how I interpret them.

I'm sure most people would find this "peculiar" or "eccentric."

I enjoy picking up old journals and finding out who I "was." Seems I am not as I was, and am always "becoming."

I suppose I really enjoy seeing the ink flow on the paper. And I enjoy the company of my many pens.

Perhaps you could write a letter to the editor, or to a government official about an issue you care about. Or perhaps thank you letters to the teachers you have had. Or a letter to a family member about why you appreciate them - or why you are angry at them. I think that these kinds of communications are important and I know that I don't do them enough. I think that a handwritten letter would be just the thing.

Best,

Barry

I know how you feel. There are plenty of days when I want to write something but nothing comes out. Have you tried writing favorite quotes? Or maybe random thoughts?

All things work out in the end. If it is not working out, it is not the end.

I believe there is a correspondence group here on FPN you could exchange letters and postcards with. Check in the forum The Write Stuff.

If all else fails, you can always start writing about having nothing to write about.

No, seriously. It works.

ron

I usually have a topic that I pick in the morning and write about it throughout the day as things pop into my head, such as nostalgia, death, marriage, why not to have kids, why it took Voyager seven years to get home, etc...

I suppose I really enjoy seeing the ink flow on the paper. And I enjoy the company of my many pens.

That alone is probably good enough reason to own these intriguing and engaging writing instruments.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I record conversations with friends, doctors; gifts I've given and to whom, etc. I've even written lists: of people at work that I admire, and why; of people at work that I despise, and why; of past girlfriends and our moments together; of near death experiences and what I think of them; of dreams I've had and how I interpret them.

I enjoy picking up old journals and finding out who I "was." Seems I am not as I was, and am always "becoming."

I like this approach - free's the mind of garbage

Peculiar? definately not,

Eccentric? no more than the rest of us!!

Best

nick

So guys, what do you do when you feel like writing with your fountain pen, but you have nothing to write?

I love my pens, but I often feel they don't get enough use. I love writing letters, but I don't have that many people to write to, who still enjoy that form of communication.

Regards,

Tyler Dahl

Write out scripture passages for memory work.

I, like Silas, keep several journals filled with different sorts of content. I keep a large Clairefontaine journal at home where I record my dreams recalled in the morning. I keep another large journal that Is strictly for the interpretation of those dreams. I keep another journal where I write poetry and fictional prose. I always carry a small pocket journal for whenever inspiration strikes and my poetry/fiction journal is nowhere nearby. Besides inspiration, I also use this notebook to see how a new pen and ink combo react to paper or if I find a quote that I enjoyed hearing or reading. I also like to write out goals that I have for the next day, month, year, etc. On scrap pieces of paper I love to create new signatures for myself or others.

Hi Tyler!

I keep about 8-12 pens inked all the time, and love using them. I get the urge all the time to use my pens, and often use them to mark up contracts, sign letters and the like. But usually that's just not enough, so I write letters to friends (and have recently been challenged by this - shown to me by a fellow FPNer - to do more in the month of February) and I try to write thank-you cards about and to people I appreciate. I also keep a journal of sorts, as described and shown on this thread. These are some of the things I do with pens!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

As a form of handwriting practice, I simply open up a book of poetry (currently 'Good Poems for Hard Times'), thumb through it 'til I find something interesting, and copy it into a journal. You could do the same basic thing with almost anything in print. Find something interesting and copy it. No real creative juices required.

Dave

I don't write letters like I should. I do write in my journal each day and do the crossword with a pen, but otherwise find that I too feel I need more things to write!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Definitely pick up some more pen pals! I've got five and they keep me hopping, for sure. :)

But more than that, I write in my journal all the time. Self analysis never goes out of style! It helps me understand myself and my motivations better, which in turn betters my interpersonal relationships. My friends all think I'm psychic, because it seems like I can predict the future. Really, I've just written about every possible outcome to a given scenario and roughly calculated its probability the night before. :roflmho: Writing in my journal keeps me shocking well balanced (emotionally speaking, it doesn't help with my clumsiness or tendency to run into things), and it's also an excuse to write a lot of words onto paper.

Also, perhaps try creative writing? When brainstorming, I always use pen and paper. It isn't until it's time to write the first draft that I hit the computer.

I just start writing out the Declaration of Independence and keep going until I am happy - Sometimes I start over with a different pen and color ink. I just like to see and feel the pen write and this is a good way for me.

John

Krewalk.com

Well, plenty of people have already mentioned journals, and that's mostly what I write in as well. One main one that I write in every day, a secondary one that gets used when the mood strikes me, and a now and then one in a category that makes sense to me. I wrote in these for years before starting on fountain pens, but the pens have definitely increased the amount that I write. I've developed the habit, when I pick up a journal after a significant gap, to start in again with a pen that has different colored ink.

I also write occasional short stories. It's not modesty but cold fact to say that none are particularly good, but I enjoy dabbling in words the way other amateurs enjoy dabbling with drawing or music. It amuses me and keeps me from getting into trouble.

It occurs to me that my signature line relates to this subject.

None of which needs to matter to you. What do you want to write?

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Random thoughts is a very good idea! I could definitely fill up a page or more a day doing that.

I honestly don't have very many favorite quotes. Actually, my favorite quotes probably all come from me... roflmho.gif

I write about...the pen I'm using, the pens it shares the collection with, how they get on with each other, what I want from each pen, which one's should go, agonise over the expense of them all, what kind of ink teams up well with them...

and then some diary entry notes for shopping lists and maybe even some notes for workrolleyes.gif.

Now this is something I have done before. I guess I just felt odd doing it, but know that I know someone else does... I don't feel so bad anymore. :)

I enjoy scribbling down what ink I'm using, though that usually only take 5 seconds or so. Now agonizing over the expense - I could probably write quite a bit about that subject. tongue.gif

I keep several journals going at one time.

My large journal is the Earthworks with leather cover: I try to use different pens/nibs/ink combos to see how they do....I write what occurred during the day, my thoughts, things I've looked at, bought, played with, dreamed. And at the end of a page, I write a parenthesis and state the Pen,nib, ink that I wrote with. the next page gets another pen.

I like to write in several journals: Most are the small notebook type. Moleskine, quo vadis planner, Leuchtturm 1917. I actually write a bit in each one pretty much every day. And, sometimes it's the same stuff I wrote in my large journal...but I notice when I comment on it the second time, the emphasis is different.

It is a way for me to realize what I really think and believe. It is a kind of therapy: a "free association or stream-of-consciousness" sometimes.

Journaling is something I'm always afraid to do, mostly because I fear I'll quite after a short time. Maybe I just need to stop feeling obligated to write every day?

Still, the idea of journaling is most appealing to me. Any tips on getting started with that?

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts Silas!

Perhaps you could write a letter to the editor, or to a government official about an issue you care about. Or perhaps thank you letters to the teachers you have had. Or a letter to a family member about why you appreciate them - or why you are angry at them. I think that these kinds of communications are important and I know that I don't do them enough. I think that a handwritten letter would be just the thing.

Best,

Barry

Yup, letters are one of my favorite things to write. I unfortunately have a small supply of folks that I write too. I love getting their letters, so I figure maybe I need to just find some more friends to write too. :)

Maybe I can get back in touch with some of my relatives that I haven't talked with in a long time...

Great suggestions thus far everyone - Thank you all!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I believe there is a correspondence group here on FPN you could exchange letters and postcards with. Check in the forum The Write Stuff.

If all else fails, you can always start writing about having nothing to write about.

No, seriously. It works.

ron

I'll definitely check out that forum. I must ashamedly admit - I don't think I've ever even spent more than 10 minutes on that forum... :(

A little trip there would be good for my health me thinks. :)

As for writing about nothing to write about - I'll give that a try.

I usually have a topic that I pick in the morning and write about it throughout the day as things pop into my head, such as nostalgia, death, marriage, why not to have kids, why it took Voyager seven years to get home, etc...

That's a most unique approach to writing! Almost like journaling, but with a set topic. Definitely would be a good exercise in thinking for me.

I'll have to try this too. So many different techniques and methods. I'll have lots of experimenting to do!

Regards,

Tyler Dahl

Write out scripture passages for memory work.

Great suggestion bicfan! That is a truly good use for a pen and some paper. :)

I, like Silas, keep several journals filled with different sorts of content. I keep a large Clairefontaine journal at home where I record my dreams recalled in the morning. I keep another large journal that Is strictly for the interpretation of those dreams. I keep another journal where I write poetry and fictional prose. I always carry a small pocket journal for whenever inspiration strikes and my poetry/fiction journal is nowhere nearby. Besides inspiration, I also use this notebook to see how a new pen and ink combo react to paper or if I find a quote that I enjoyed hearing or reading. I also like to write out goals that I have for the next day, month, year, etc. On scrap pieces of paper I love to create new signatures for myself or others.

I admire your dedication in keeping all those journals. I doubt I could ever do it - but I'll bet they're amazingly fun to look through!

Hi Tyler!

I keep about 8-12 pens inked all the time, and love using them. I get the urge all the time to use my pens, and often use them to mark up contracts, sign letters and the like. But usually that's just not enough, so I write letters to friends (and have recently been challenged by this - shown to me by a fellow FPNer - to do more in the month of February) and I try to write thank-you cards about and to people I appreciate. I also keep a journal of sorts, as described and shown on this thread. These are some of the things I do with pens!

Hey David! :)

That journal you keep in that homemade notebook - that is a superb idea, and sounds like something I'd not only enjoy doing, but something I could keep up with too! Of course, I'm sure a nice journal like the one you have makes the experience much more pleasurable. I may have to look into getting one of those - they look incredible...

Letters too - I really need to write more of those. I'll definitely try and pick back up some of my old pen-pals. Would be beneficial I think.

That letter-writing challenge: Wow, that does look challenging! I wonder if I could do something like that. I doubt it, but the idea is a really good one. If you would, let me know how it goes for you this upcoming month.

Once again - Thanks everyone for the amazing suggestions!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

As a form of handwriting practice, I simply open up a book of poetry (currently 'Good Poems for Hard Times'), thumb through it 'til I find something interesting, and copy it into a journal. You could do the same basic thing with almost anything in print. Find something interesting and copy it. No real creative juices required.

I could really do the this with some books I enjoy. Thank you for sharing - I may get some interesting notebook collections going with this. :)

I don't write letters like I should. I do write in my journal each day and do the crossword with a pen, but otherwise find that I too feel I need more things to write!

Yup, sounds like we're int he same boat here. :) Probably not an uncommon problem with FP people I'd guess.

Definitely pick up some more pen pals! I've got five and they keep me hopping, for sure. :)

But more than that, I write in my journal all the time. Self analysis never goes out of style! It helps me understand myself and my motivations better, which in turn betters my interpersonal relationships. My friends all think I'm psychic, because it seems like I can predict the future. Really, I've just written about every possible outcome to a given scenario and roughly calculated its probability the night before. :roflmho: Writing in my journal keeps me shocking well balanced (emotionally speaking, it doesn't help with my clumsiness or tendency to run into things), and it's also an excuse to write a lot of words onto paper.

Also, perhaps try creative writing? When brainstorming, I always use pen and paper. It isn't until it's time to write the first draft that I hit the computer.

Five pen pals I think I could manage. I really only have 2-3 right now, that I love writing letters too. One, a friend here on FPN, and the other, a friend from my blog. Then there are a few relatives I write to on occasion.

I will look for some more among my friends, and maybe folks here on FPN.

Brainstorming I could definitely do! I always need to draw up design ideas for websites, and blog posts. Really good idea!

On a side note - anyone have recommendations for a FP friendly graph papers, other than rhodia?

I just start writing out the Declaration of Independence and keep going until I am happy - Sometimes I start over with a different pen and color ink. I just like to see and feel the pen write and this is a good way for me.

John

Krewalk.com

Wow - I am impressed! If you'd care too, I would love to see a picture when you're finished!

Well, plenty of people have already mentioned journals, and that's mostly what I write in as well. One main one that I write in every day, a secondary one that gets used when the mood strikes me, and a now and then one in a category that makes sense to me. I wrote in these for years before starting on fountain pens, but the pens have definitely increased the amount that I write. I've developed the habit, when I pick up a journal after a significant gap, to start in again with a pen that has different colored ink.

I also write occasional short stories. It's not modesty but cold fact to say that none are particularly good, but I enjoy dabbling in words the way other amateurs enjoy dabbling with drawing or music. It amuses me and keeps me from getting into trouble.

It occurs to me that my signature line relates to this subject.

None of which needs to matter to you. What do you want to write?

I guess I really don't know what I want to write. Probably why I turned to you all for suggestions! Your ideas for journaling seem good.

After reading all the great responses here, I'm extremely tempted to pick up journaling again. Might just give it a go. What have I got to lose? :)

I've greatly enjoyed everyone's answers thus far. Only on FPN can you get such a delightful and kind response from a group of fellow fanatics!

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions! notworthy1.gif

FPN%252520banner.jpg