The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Intrepid

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 18:02

Intrepid black fp-1.JPG

First Impressions (7.5)
Maybe Iím just a sucker for black pens. I didnít need another, but I was interested in trying a less expensive Bexley.

Appearance (7.0)
There is a difference between the look and feel of different types of plastics, even in basic black. The Intrepid looks nice in a generic way. The pen has clean lines and a spring-loaded curved clip. There is a thin stainless steel cap band just below the end of the clip and another ring in the body, forming a pseudo end cap. To me, the materials speak ďchain store,Ē not high end pen.

Design/Size/Weight (8.5)
Itís a long, light pen. The spring-loaded clip works effectively. It takes a turn and a half to twist the cap on or off, which is pretty good, and the cap posts securely on the body. Overall, the pen is comfortable to hold, posts nicely and light enough to use for long stretches. The barrel diameter is a little over .5Ē, making it very comfortable in my hand. The only negative is that because of itís length, the clip is too high to clip securely to a typical shirt pocket.

Nib (9)
The nib and flow were not good out of the box. This is the first Bexley I've owned that disappointed me. There was something obviously wrong. I attended the Miami Pen Show a couple of weeks after buying the pen and Pendleton Brown adjusted the nib and feed. The tines had not been aligned properly and there were a couple of other small issues. Once adjusted, the pen wrote very well. It's a two-tone stainless steel nib inscribed with the Bexley logo and some ornamentation. It (the nib) looks nice. The size of the nib complements the pen and makes the pen easier to handle. In terms of flex, it is a nail, which is not a bad thing for a daily writer. I like long nibs in fountain pens with open nibs. I feel like I have more control and better penmanship because of its proportion to the penís body and the resulting balance. Overall, I would say this nib is very good, maybe excellent. I donít think my experience with the nib was typical; you will most likely get a good writer out of the box.

Filling System (9)
Itís a c/c filler and the converter looks to be a little larger than most.

Cost and Value (7.5)
The retail price of this pen is around $150 and it commonly sells for about $110. I bought it new, on eBay for $41. At that price, itís a good value. At the retail price, I think you could find a better pen for your money.

Conclusion (78)
This is a good pen to take with you when you donít want to bring an expensive pen, but donít want a disposable, either. It would look appropriate in a business meeting, but wonít stand out. Itís a good-sized pen with decent, uninspiring looks. My only issue with the Intrepid is its pedestrian aesthetics Thereís nothing wrong with its looks. It simply doesnít feel special, but as a writing instrument, itís a very nice one. It writes very well, especially in its price category. Iím a Bexley fan, but the Intrepid definitely gives me the impression of a budget Bexley, not one of their first tier pens. However, even a budget Bexley is better than a lot of other pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:56

Nice review! Always nice to have a simple, stately black pen on hand. Great price :thumbup:

Sponsored Content

|