What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

today, after a long while w/o using a chinese FP, i got my Hero 389 for a spin. very firm fine nib, but writes very smoothly.

pic from the seller m(can't remember who??):

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/hero3892.jpg

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1226_zpsaf7f7774.jpg

This arrived today from http://www.fp-writings.blogspot.com/

I had asked if they could just crisp the nib a bit more for the horizontal stroke and WOW did they!

Yong writes you a note with the pen you buy from him and you can see his note to me on the right there. My note is on the left but what I wanted to point out is how different a pen can write given different writing styles!

The pen also arrives with a little swatch of fine sand paper just in case there is an edge that they did not pick up with their angle of writing. Nice touch!

Oh, you also get a herbal tea bag! :thumbup:

I am very impressed with the pen and the service!

Hero 616, from a batch that somewhat bought and was handing out at a pen club meeting recently.

I wouldn't normally do this with a squeeze filler pen, but just for giggles I thought that since it didn't have any ink it before (it was flushed out late last week with soapy water in anticipation) I would try some iron gall ink in it: specifically Pharmacist's Terra Incinerata (old formulation). I was worried that the fine nib would have problems with a dry-ish ink, but it seems to write okay.

OTOH, I had trouble getting it to fill in the first place, and I'm sure that more ink could go in it than what's there. I read someone's post about accidentally slicing the sac with the filler bar and I'm not surprised -- I thought I was going to slice my finger open.... :blink:

For what I guess is a $2 or so pen, it's not bad. But as a knockoff of a Parker (I have a 51 Special and a 21) there isn't any question as to which pen is which. The Parkers just seem better made (all three appear to have fine nibs, BTW).

What's kinda scary is that I was told that there are companies that make knockoffs of Hero pens.... :blink:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hero 616, from a batch that somewhat bought and was handing out at a pen club meeting recently.

I wouldn't normally do this with a squeeze filler pen, but just for giggles I thought that since it didn't have any ink it before (it was flushed out late last week with soapy water in anticipation) I would try some iron gall ink in it: specifically Pharmacist's Terra Incinerata (old formulation). I was worried that the fine nib would have problems with a dry-ish ink, but it seems to write okay.

OTOH, I had trouble getting it to fill in the first place, and I'm sure that more ink could go in it than what's there. I read someone's post about accidentally slicing the sac with the filler bar and I'm not surprised -- I thought I was going to slice my finger open.... :blink:

For what I guess is a $2 or so pen, it's not bad. But as a knockoff of a Parker (I have a 51 Special and a 21) there isn't any question as to which pen is which. The Parkers just seem better made (all three appear to have fine nibs, BTW).

What's kinda scary is that I was told that there are companies that make knockoffs of Hero pens.... :blink:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth: if you gently twist, that metal tube should come right off the filler bulb of the 616. I don't even bother putting them back on, but you could once the pen is filled.

Stompie... Impressive. How do those people take payment? Eight horses...want.

Pen today, Hero 329, Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Stompie,

That grind looks fantastic. Not sure about the look of the Triumph style nib, but the handwriting is amazing - aided by the nib of course.

Regards,

Richard.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/DSCN1234_zps13e34d57.jpg

Stompie, that's one of my fav Wing Sung -even if ir required a bit of nib tweaking when i got it new. nice handwriting! :thumbup:

Today, I'm going to use the R. Pirre Paul's 828 I've been using all week so I can write a proper review of the pen next week.

I suppose I'm the only one in this thread using a R. Pirre Paul's, right?

My translucent blue Pirre Paul's demonstrator arrived today & I must say it writes wonderfully although my handwriting is less than desirable. Had to share.

Myste

post-96875-0-75439000-1362271067.jpg

post-96875-0-90991000-1362271101.jpg

I'm a geek with a fountain pen.

I'm considering a Pirre Paul's, which would you all recommend?

I would not recommend the 828. Well, it's not a bad pen. Mine had a very scratchy nib but I was able to smoothen it quite a bit. The build quality is better than some Hero FPs but far from perfect.

I'd say go with the one that looks best. Because you're not gonna buy a RPP for the good nibs or high quality. The reason I won't recommend the RPP 828 is that you can get a pen of equal or better quality for the same or an even lower price from Baoer, Jinhao or other PRC companies. I guess producing in Taiwan is more expensive than producing in the PRC.

I'll post an RPP 828 review at the end of next week.

Recently I learned that my""demonstrator" is a Regal by Pirre Paul's.

I am now awaiting the arrival of my Luoshi Cigarette fountain pen. First pen with a bladder!

Myste

post-96875-0-00945800-1362364857.jpg

Today I am sticking to a German and an Indian.

But I have a Baoer Eight Horses in circulation.

Inglourious Basterds...

I am now awaiting the arrival of my Luoshi Cigarette fountain pen. First pen with a bladder!

Myste

Please let us know what the nibs are like? Look like slightly gimmick pens that may raise a smile or two.

I don't like fine nibs, but at the price the smile caused is almost worth it.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by richardandtracy

I mostly lurk here but I've resolved recently to try to get more use out of my pens, and I've found this thread really enlightening. Too enlightening really as I've now got 3 Hero 616s, a Jinhao Shimmering Sands, a Baoer 517 and a Kaigelu 359 on their way to me. Still, 6 pens for under £25, mustn't grumble, eh?

I've been using my Jinhao A5 today, F nib, and really enjoying it. I bought it a few years ago, and the poor thing has been largely neglected since then. Fine nibs don't really flatter my writing, but it's really smooth and quick to write with. I wouldn't say I was in love with it, but I like it a lot, and it's much more pleasant to write with than a Pilot GTec , which is what I normally end up using if I feel like a finer line.