What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Kaigelu 368 - Med. Nib. Diamine Syrahfpn_1474296738__kaigelu368.jpg

Great shot Helen.

I love my 368s, but I was beginning to think it was just me, as they never really get mentioned.

A very robust pen, which in your hand writes beautifully Helen.

Ian

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1474377399__picasso_red.jpg

fpn_1474377449__pen_1.jpg

fpn_1474377488__pen_3.jpg

fpn_1474377547__pen_4.jpg

This is my most expensive Chinese pen yet, and it was worth every cent.

The pics don't do it justice, it is beautiful.

I can't put it down, and I've filled it and used 3 different inks in it already.

My 2 Picasso pens are both top quality, but this one is in a class of its' own.

Ian

That is good to hear, I have almost all the nominal low end and mid range vintage Chinese hooded nib pens. The Hero lineage is kind of interesting. And yes I can testify to your finding. the 616 is indeed a better daily writter than a Parker 51 ( which I also own a couple ), The 100 Hero ( yes that's the name of the model ) was their first and was a re-engineered clone of the 51, then we have the Hero 100, which is somewhat reworked so it can be mass produced. The 616 is a greatly simplified but engineering vise a better pen. Firts it lose the cumbersome coupler ring / ink sac assembly and had it all now a single unit, and then the nib is now a tubular without index tab ( again easier to manufacture and easier for us user to tune and adjust ) but mostly the change is in allowing a much higher engineering tolerance to the assembly, that's why so many time even a misaligned 616 nib will just write. In fact Hero did even better with their later , even more down market 300 series. The nib unit inside the 300 series ( notably the 329/330 and their variants ) spot a longer feed contact area thus making ink flow even better , more consistent and smoother. One of my daily carry around pen is that of a Hero 330

I agree with you regarding the engineering of the 616. I have purchased a total of 12 now and out of the 12 one was a total wreck. The sac had gotten kinked along with the breather tube when the sac guard was attached. Even with a breather tube that would not breathe and a sac that would barely fill, the wrecked 616 wrote smoothly and delivered what ink was available without a hiccup. The one Hero I wish I had purchased but appears to be no longer available is the Hero 110. It has a 12k gold nib, the arrow clip and, for all intents and purposes was/is an upgraded 616. Don't get me wrong. Quality of construction (or lack thereof) can be felt. When I hold one of my Parker 21's or my '51 I know I have something of intrinsic value in my hand. Not having had a Parker 51 apart, I don't have the basis of comparison other's might have and yet I wonder at the level of dependability the Hero 616 has in spite of its obviously inexpensive construction. I suppose the reason I don't use my '51 on a daily basis is simple: I love it too much to run the risk of something stupid happening to it. My rule of thumb: if I'm wearing a coat, tie, and wingtips, I carry a Parker. For everything else (which is most of the time) I have my Hero 616...generally the one inked with Parker Quink Permanent Black.

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

Today I pulled out and inked up a Jinhao 606, with a fine hooded nib, in gold swirl metallic finish. It is a slim pen but on the heavier side so it might be metal. I really like its looks and I really like the way it writes but IT WON'T POST!

post-129843-0-33270200-1474395880_thumb.jpeg

That is why I am trying to like it but I am afraid I will be cleaning it out and setting it aside. The cap clicks in place securely but when posted it just rests there and falls off at the slightest movement.

I had forgotten the maker and model but it is imprinted on the band, the the clip is clean and of course the nib is hooded. If only it posted 😩

post-129843-0-10326500-1474396671_thumb.jpeg

(Please excuse the poor lighting and photography, I am using my iPad at Starbucks.)

easily available, yes. But I must have a different lot that you, the one I have is definitely on the grey, watered-down side. Not really black at all.

Could be a different lot. I have three blacks inks at the moment.

Skrip Permanent Jet Black #32, which is nice, Higgins Calligraphy Black which I've been assured is safe for fountain pens but is more like what you described (yucky, watery grey), and the Higgins Eternal Black #44041 which I use a lot of.

My favorite of the three is the Skrip, but for my daily scribbles, I use the Eternal Black.

UPDATE: the Jinhao 606 is now a broad with a scewed fude tip.....dropped to tile floor.

post-129843-0-26329700-1474400883_thumb.jpeg

First the cap dropped and rolled behind someone else's chair. Since I didnt want to bother him, I laid the pen down on the table between uses. Of course without a cap there was nothing to keep it from rolling off the table to the floor.

post-129843-0-64515700-1474400953_thumb.jpegg

I am surprised if still writes, a broad line but not too rough.

So maybe I'll try to salvage it by snipping off the tip and smoothing it down but since it doesn't post it will probably be dropped again, and soon. Maybe good for practice but not practical for actual use in the long term. Thank goodness it was relatively inexpensive (I don't remember but probably less than $5.)

Calligraphy nib really are used like brush , so such open up tip does not really matter, as it only broaden the contact area. a plier type caliper or something of the sort and some gentle coaxing should help to tighten up the nib

Hi seven!

I just read about your pen, and may be able to help.

I have a nib that will fit, and will send it to you if you like.

Send me a pm with your name & address and I'll get it to you directly.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a quandary this morning.

Should I use my new blue lacquer J X450, the grey Crocodile 806, a blue lacquer Hero 7022, a gold Duke Century or my gorgeous blue Crocodile 806? The answer ended up being 'Yes. All of them...'.

Regards

Richard

Should I use my new blue lacquer J X450, the grey Crocodile 806, a blue lacquer Hero 7022, a gold Duke Century or my gorgeous blue Crocodile 806? The answer ended up being 'Yes. All of them...'.

Regards

Richard

That's the added beauty of buying Chinese pens :)

Jinhao 159 - Broad Nib. Private Reserve Tanzanite. This Saturday is letter writing Day; following Friday, pen cleaning Day!fpn_1475937728__jinhao159yellowd.jpg

fpn_1475937214__jinhao159yellowsample.jp

Regards

Richard

Show us yer crocs Richard.(and your duke)

I've been tempted by these brands but have yet to take the plunge.

Ian

I will, but not today. I want to do a review of the Duke soon, and will show the Crocs tomorrow. I'm on a tablet this afternoon & have no idea how to upload photos on it.

Regards

Richard

Hahaha, good stuff Richard, cheers.

Ian

As promised, the photo of the two Crocodile 806's

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Reviews/Crocodile%20806%20Review%20Photo%208_zpshcocvloc.jpg

The blue one was described as 'Navy Blue' and only looks like it does in the photo when subject to a camera flash or in the sun. In normal room lighting conditions it looks very restrained and decorous, a slightly more interesting version of the Onoto Magna Classic Blue. It really is a tremendously elegant and restrained colour. Shame the clip is not quite so tasteful.

Did a review of these pens here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312018-crocodile-806-a-good-quality-duofold-alternative/

I have a grey one in the post, and hopefully it'll be like my daughter's one.

Regards,

Richard.