What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Using today the Jinhao 3000 with Goulet 1.1 stub nib. Diamine Bilberry ink.

fpn_1468102147__jinhao3000.jpg

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've got a huge collection of Chinese brands Helen ,it;s wonderful.

Thanks Sagarb! I have been fortunate to get some real winners in the bunch. I tend to class my Chinese pens in three groups:

#1. Everyday writers that will hold up for the long haul if properly taken care of - Jinhao X750, 950, 3000, Bookworm, Kaigelu 368, Duke Bamboo are examples. My oldest X750 is 8 yrs. old, with no dings or scratches. When I put them in my purse, I place them in a pen pouch, for my hefty key chain can really destroy a fountain pen. :)

#2. Pens I take to class only, taking messages, carry in my purse for signing or give as a gift to a teenager who wants to learn to write with a FP - Jinhao 500, 599, 886, Jinhao Blue & White - if I lose one, break one or give one away to someone who is curious, it is no loss.

#3. Pens that have a nice classic look and can catch someone's eye when I am attend a function or at church (I'm always trying to encourage others to consider a FP) - Jinhao 189, Jinhao 195 silver, Jinhao 650 Abalone, Hero 901, Hero Gray & Animal pattern, Baoer 8 Horses, WenJue, Jinhao 1200 (ladies like this one - has that 'bling' factor); Jinhao 159 Black - men ask about this one.

There are some of my Chinese pens that I have swapped nibs - Jinhao X750 - each of them has a Goulet 1.1 stub. Some of the #5 nibbed pens I have swapped a Knox Broad nib. Then there are others after some 8000 & 12000 grit micromesh tweaking, write beautifully with the original nib. I try to appreciate what these pens have to offer me. Some would say any fountain pen that "cost less than $300 and no gold nib is junk"--that is untrue!!!

Edited by Helen350

Thanks Sagarb! I have been fortunate to get some real winners in the bunch. I tend to class my Chinese pens in three groups:

#1. Everyday writers that will hold up for the long haul if properly taken care of - Jinhao X750, 950, 3000, Bookworm, Kaigelu 368, Duke Bamboo are examples. My oldest X750 is 8 yrs. old, with no dings or scratches. When I put them in my purse, I place them in a pen pouch, for my hefty key chain can really destroy a fountain pen. :)

#2. Pens I take to class only, taking messages, carry in my purse for signing or give as a gift to a teenager who wants to learn to write with a FP - Jinhao 500, 599, 886, Jinhao Blue & White - if I lose one, break one or give one away to someone who is curious, it is no loss.

#3. Pens that have a nice classic look and can catch someone's eye when I am attend a function or at church (I'm always trying to encourage others to consider a FP) - Jinhao 189, Jinhao 195 silver, Jinhao 650 Abalone, Hero 901, Hero Gray & Animal pattern, Baoer 8 Horses, WenJue, Jinhao 1200 (ladies like this one - has that 'bling' factor); Jinhao 159 Black - men ask about this one.

There are some of my Chinese pens that I have swapped nibs - Jinhao X750 - each of them has a Goulet 1.1 stub. Some of the #5 nibbed pens I have swapped a Knox Broad nib. Then there are others after some 8000 & 12000 grit micromesh tweaking, write beautifully with the original nib. I try to appreciate what these pens have to offer me. Some would say any fountain pen that "cost less than $300 and no gold nib is junk"--that is untrue!!!

thanks very much Helen...I am impressed with your categorization..learnt so many things from you...

Sagar Bhowmick

I've been using a Burgundy Wing Sung 2007 with Hero blue/black ink. It's a nice, smooth writing pen, and a favorite of mine, so I might as well get the rest of the colors it comes in while they're still available :D

Tinkering with this evening - Jinhao 3000 Tiger - B. Nib. Chesterfield Antique Mariner. Thinking I will replace the nib with a Goulet broad or stub?? Using uncapped; nice feel in my hands.

fpn_1468982212__jinhaotiger3000barrel2.j

fpn_1468982279__jinhaotiger3000inksample

Tinkering with this evening - Jinhao 3000 Tiger - B. Nib. Chesterfield Antique Mariner. Thinking I will replace the nib with a Goulet broad or stub?? Using uncapped; nice feel in my hands.

fpn_1468982212__jinhaotiger3000barrel2.j

fpn_1468982279__jinhaotiger3000inksample

looks beautiful

thank you for sharing...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I was doing a bit of writing about the ship Rms Queen Elizabeth, and just felt that this pen and ink combo somehow seemed appropriate, especially the pen.

fpn_1469111099__572_1.jpg

fpn_1469111138__572_2.jpg

Ian

I was doing a bit of writing about the ship Rms Queen Elizabeth, and just felt that this pen and ink combo somehow seemed appropriate, especially the pen.

fpn_1469111099__572_1.jpg

Ian

Impressive! The MedBlue has never looked so good ;)

Edited by eliweisz

Practice, patience, perseverance

Thanks folks, and apologies for not contributing much recently, unfortunately life is getting in the way a wee bit at the minute, although I have been popping in and out for my daily fix.

The Med blue looks a bit lighter in the pics than it does on the paper (the necessity for flash) but it is one of my favourite blues.

It really does remind me of the colour of the water in Corfu, or maybe that's just nostalgia playing tricks with my memory.

It does also go especially well with my K316, a lovely ink.

Keep the good stuff coming, and keep spreading the word.

Ian

Love the shading in your handwriting, especially the descenders. Nice ink and an elegant pen.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Today’s quote is inspired by one of the most influential Martial Artist ever, the legend,BRUCE LEE.

The pen in rotation is Jinhao 165 which is self grounded to Medium Stub and it is inked with Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst.

img_20160726_1253571.jpg?w=1000

img_20160726_1256231.jpg?w=1000

img_20160726_1253341.jpg?w=1000

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Hero 9096 - #5 medium nib. Inked with Sailor Jentle Souten. Nib is surprisingly smooth for a simple #5 iridium point steel nib; no scratching; minimal (at best) feedback; good ink flow. Nice image on the barrel.

fpn_1469624856__hero9096pen2.jpg

fpn_1469626765__hero9096nib3.jpg

fpn_1469626457__hero_9096barreldesign.jp

I just received 2 Hero 329 pens in the mail, .99 each! I inked one up with Hero Blue/Black and it writes very nicely right out of the box!!

Ian,

I can see that the Hero 572 wasn't a recent acquisitition -you mentioned it in a list back in January, others also have brought it up in 2015 (e.g. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294007-hero-572wow/). But it's not one that I can find available any more, mores the pity...

That's a nice pen, Helen - Puts me in mind of the tiger's eye gemstone. Always enjoy your posts. Kind regards, Spring.