What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

I'm using that crazy 99-cent (shipping included) you-can-only-buy-one-at-a-time Jinhao X450, filled with Private Reserve 'Tanzanite'. (The color reminds me of mimeographs.) I flushed it with some soapy water upon arrival earlier this week and it's been a champ ever since. I had to chuckle when someone asked, "Is that a Montblanc?" "Almost" I answered.

My principal asked the same thing about my x450.

Today my Jinhao 159 is in action for schoolwork and the x450 for my personal notes-they both are using Levenger's Blazing Sunset with very different results.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My principal asked the same thing about my x450.

Today my Jinhao 159 is in action for schoolwork and the x450 for my personal notes-they both are using Levenger's Blazing Sunset with very different results.

They use the same nib, slightly different feeds. I think what you're seeing is evidence of the highly variable finish quality of the nibs.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

They use the same nib, slightly different feeds. I think what you're seeing is evidence of the highly variable finish quality of the nibs.

Both are very smooth, the 159 is more of a medium while the x450 is finer and very wet.

It's probably the shape of the tipping. Some Jinhao #6 nibs are rather like a smoothed off stub, whilst others are quite rounded, with only a small amount of the tipping touching the paper.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Both Hero and Jinhao make pens with 14k solid gold (not plated) nibs. Hero 100, Hero Emperor 100, Jinhao Dragon & Phoenix. The Jinhao does go in for a lot of pewter ornamentation.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

This is the one pen that I use every day. The others go in rotation, not this one!

It's a green black Jinhao X450 with a Noodlers nib that I always keep inked up with PR Ebony / Green ink.

Edited by Zookie

This is the one pen that I use every day. The others go in rotation, not this one!

It's a green black Jinhao X450 with a Noodlers nib that I always keep inked up with PR Ebony / Green ink.

attachicon.gifX450A.jpeg

attachicon.gifX450.jpeg

Lol I use the same pen with the original nib inked with J Herbin Lierre Sauvage for my daily journaling.

They're the best pens! I love the color, weight, and nibs. I have another in black (original nib) that I use almost as much.

This week I'm using a stainless steel Jinhao X750 with a Zebra G flex nib and a black Jinhao 3005 with a semi-hooded nib. One for fun and one for work.

post-124844-0-33986800-1453723765_thumb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lxGrv3t.jpg?1

Jinhao 8812 and a Rhodia Webbie... we're going to play as soon as I get out of this meeting.

I'm waiting for this one to show up. It has not arrived in the States yet. Looks nice with that Rhodia Webbie! Hoping I will be able to secure a broad nib for this pen.

I'm waiting for this one to show up. It has not arrived in the States yet. Looks nice with that Rhodia Webbie! Hoping I will be able to secure a broad nib for this pen.

This came in as a non-working pen. It took more than the typical 5-10 minutes to get this nib working. Now it's wet and smooth, and I keep it inked up with Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses. I've had pretty good luck getting spotty Jinhao nibs working well (as well as a Jinhao nib is going to work) but I still think the nib swap is a better idea. :)

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

I am writing with my Jinhao 250 today :).

And I'm waiting for 3 Jinhao 450's who are somewhere between China and the Netherlands haha.