What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Just ordered my first Jinhao, a 450 and a 750; I guess it takes about a month or two to get them so I guess I'll let the anticipation build

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delivery times are odd.

I've had stuff take 3/4 weeks and sometimes they arrive in 8 days!

Last time I ordered from Yespens it was only about 8 days before they were through the door.

Delivery times are odd.

I've had stuff take 3/4 weeks and sometimes they arrive in 8 days!

The same here (New England, USA). Unpredictable, but any Chinese order has arrived within a month.

Today I'm using my Hero 901, by far my flashiest pen, with Diamine 'Grey' ink (the sedate ink presumably offsets the bling of the pen). I'm surprised how reliable and smooth this 901 is. My only complaint is that it needs a better converter. It's a nice pen at any price; at $2.75 (shipping included) it's a minor miracle.

James

fpn_1435848095__hero_68.jpg

CHEERS MATE

Ian

post-36319-0-09634000-1436112735_thumb.jpg

Received my first Jinhao pen in 6 days from order - outstanding; inked with Sheaffer Blue and ready to give it a try this week.

My next paycheck that has genuine slack in it, I'm going on a Jinhao binge. I have a 611 that I just love the heck out of, enough that I want to see what the other Jinhaos are like.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

My next paycheck that has genuine slack in it, I'm going on a Jinhao binge. I have a 611 that I just love the heck out of, enough that I want to see what the other Jinhaos are like.

First of all - I love the Goulardi picture - made me smile. "Time for some boom-booms kids"

I just received my new 450 Jinhao this weekend and have been using it all day today. Very smooth, especially at the price. I actually like the feel better than the 950 shown above.

Here are a few you should consider (at the cheaper end) the Jinhao x500, a fantastic pen, well weighted and super smooth. the x750, a big ol' smoothie that looks and feels great, and my own personal favourite, the Jinhao 217, a stunner of a pen, superbly smooth, perfectly balanced and ultimately reliable, my favourite of all my Chinese pens.

Oh

And if your up for a bit of "bling" Check out the big 1200 Silver Dragon....I just love mine, It has a broad nib and spews forth Baystate Blue like a Dragon should.

With a bit of patience you can get some of these pens for pennies in the ebay China auctions.

Ian

Yeah, the X750 was one of the ones I was specifically looking at, and the X500 and the 217 look lovely. I saw the dragon pen, but I'm not a huge fan of heavily textured barrels. If the 1200 comes in something smooth, though, I might give it a go. The 15 looks like a lovely pen, too, as does the Pocket Rocket.

Love me some Ghoulardi, even though I'm too young to remember; I grew up on his successor, The Ghoul. :)

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

This is my new inexpensive chinese pen HERO 5033

Amazing fine writer.....

Ink used is Chelpark Turquoise .... Made in India...

fpn_1436879642__11717542_101528752396523

fpn_1436879777__11249099_101528752395923

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Yeah, the X750 was one of the ones I was specifically looking at, and the X500 and the 217 look lovely. I saw the dragon pen, but I'm not a huge fan of heavily textured barrels. If the 1200 comes in something smooth, though, I might give it a go. The 15 looks like a lovely pen, too, as does the Pocket Rocket.

Love me some Ghoulardi, even though I'm too young to remember; I grew up on his successor, The Ghoul. :)

Hi trdsf

The 1200 is a strange business. It looks textured but it isn't, as it has what I'd imagine is a smooth polished laquer coating, making it feel completely smooth.

The 1200 also comes in a more "demure" black and gold version which doesn't have the "scaling" and is smooth..............Still has the dragon clip though :thumbup: . I've been meaning to get myself one for ages.......in fact, that's just what I'll do now.

Thanks trdsf your post has added to my collection.... :lol: cheers.

Ian

T'is done.

$4.19 including shipping, now how can I go wrong with that?. Brilliant.

You mean that's NOT Mike Nelson? :o

I've got a Burgundy Hero 616 loaded with Sailor Kobe Bordeaux today. Perfect pen/ink match.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

You mean that's NOT Mike Nelson? :o

I've got a Burgundy Hero 616 loaded with Sailor Kobe Bordeaux today. Perfect pen/ink match.

Egad, there is a little resemblance, isn't there? And funny you should mention Mike Nelson - 'trdsf' is the abbreviation for a nickname I picked up in MST3K fandom (The Rev Dr Sherwood Forrester).

616 looks like it's pretty much a 51 clone; how's the weight in hand? I have the Hero 007 which is more or less another 51 wanna-be, but it's too light for my tastes. If the 616 is heavier, I might become really fond of one.

Egad, there is a little resemblance, isn't there? And funny you should mention Mike Nelson - 'trdsf' is the abbreviation for a nickname I picked up in MST3K fandom (The Rev Dr Sherwood Forrester).

616 looks like it's pretty much a 51 clone; how's the weight in hand? I have the Hero 007 which is more or less another 51 wanna-be, but it's too light for my tastes. If the 616 is heavier, I might become really fond of one.

Since I own both, I'll have to make a weight comparison later. I know the 007 is a bit slimmer, and the 616 will definitely be lighter than even a 51 Special, but we'll see.

I genuinely thought that was Mike Nelson from some MST sketch or other, lol. Because it's something he would do.

Ok, the 007/616 weight is about even. The 007 is smaller and slimmer but has a metal endcap. I could write with the 616 all day, however, due to its girth.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

I've just acquired a Kaigelu 338, and I also have a Kaigelu 353 and a Baoer 388, which is nice. Those are the good ones, and they write quite well. I have also had a Picasso 903 and two Jinhao 599 pens that would not write well, no matter what. So, I'm about 50% on my hit-or-miss rate, but at these prices ($2-$10), I think it comes out pretty evenly.

fpn_1434715909__hero_7022.jpg

Can I ask whether it's a painted finish or a resin barrel & what the nib width is? So far I have only had one Hero with a Medium, all the rest have been F or XF and I just cannot get on with nibs that small.

Also for the Hero 1026, same questions.

Regards,

Richard.

Hero 1026 is metal, and HEAVY. I would call the nib a medium, or m-f. Mine has good ink flow and a very distinguished look.