What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Very interested in the nibs.

We have a kitten who would take on the snake & loose. He's 3, is yet to get to full growth, but is about 15lb. Daft as a brush, but can hunt rats rather well. Shame he doesn't always kill them before bringing them into the house and putting them down to show how clever he is.

Come to think of it, it does show exactly how clever he is...

Regards,

Richard

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interested in the nibs.

We have a kitten who would take on the snake & loose. He's 3, is yet to get to full growth, but is about 15lb. Daft as a brush, but can hunt rats rather well. Shame he doesn't always kill them before bringing them into the house and putting them down to show how clever he is.

Come to think of it, it does show exactly how clever he is...

Regards,

Richard

Of course, he is training you well.

Anyway, the nibs.

I started off with a pair of nibs as below, one Jinhao Medium Fine (top, from a batch of 5 I bought on eBay) and a Jinhao Medium Broad (bottom, from an old Jinhao X-450 with the 6.5mm feed).

fpn_1434257090__start_with.jpg

Then, using the abrasive stick and micro-mesh pads, and following (sort of) S B R E Brown's video on removing baby bottom I removed the unwanted metal to give me the shape I wanted and polished the nibs down to shiny smooth.

fpn_1434257320__the_tools.jpg

Using the abrasive stick, I carefully scraped away at the nib tipping, checking every few strokes that I had the shape I wanted. In between I dipped the nib and did some sample (if somewhat scratchy) writing to see how the nib shape was progressing.

I ended up with these shapes --

fpn_1434257472__finished_with.jpg

fpn_1434257513__the_fine.jpg

fpn_1434257542__the_stub.jpg

Writing samples look like this --

fpn_1434257607__writing_samples.jpg

Nibs in the top sample were transformed into the bottom sample.

Others like to do their nib carving with a Dremel tool. I found that it only took a few minutes (with care) to grind the nibs down to the shape I wanted with the abrasive stick (bought on eBay from a cosmetics supplier ).

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

If you see anything you fancy, the folks on here will be more than happy to tell you all about any particular pen.

fpn_1434029782__collection.jpg

TOP ROW L TO R.

jinhao x450, pierre farber, jinhao 1200 silver dragon, jinhao 599, jinhao 500, picasso swedish flower king,wing sung 590, baoer 701, jinhao x450, huahong ss-34, huahong ?, baoer 3035, reynolds accent

MIDDLE ROW L TO R

fine calligraphy pen, manuscript master, baoer 388, jinhao x750, dollar 717i demonstrator, parker 15/mixy, unknown handmade acrylic, kaigelu 368, shuli 1028. shuli 1028, shuli 1028, fountain pen revolution dilli, jinhao 8812.

BOTTOM ROW L TO R

b&m calligraphy pens, unknown acrylic, noodlers ahab, fuguilong 1009, waterman laureat, waterman super master, jinhao 217, huahong ss-20, delta vintage, arbutus apollo, jinhao 9009, kaigelu 335, jinhao x250.

I reckon I must be a fan of Chinese pens then :lol: This has only been since November.

Ian

How about these unknown acrylic pen?

Thanks

Hero 800, flighter version, with Montblanc Royal Blue.

Only the third time I've inked this. And while it's been a steady writer, always laying down a line evenly and without skipping, there has always been something missing. Smoothness? There are some pens I love putting to paper. This isn't one of them...yet. I am hoping that there is a break-in period. Or perhaps I haven't found the right ink. Otherwise, I'll consider working on the nib a bit myself.

How about these unknown acrylic pen?

Thanks

No problem Natapong

There's not a lot I can tell you about the first acrylic unknown pen.

It's obviously a kit pen of some kind, which I bought from a UK seller on ebay.

He only had this and another similar pen, which was a wooden version for sale and I liked the look and colours of this one.

It is a small but well weighted pocket pen, with a standard iridium tipped nib and it writes very well indeed.

The second pen is an unknown acrylic pen I bought from a vendor on ebay China.

I have bought a few Huahong pens (which I like very much) from this vendor and I decided to get this one, again as I liked the look of it and of course the colour.

For some reason the Huahong pens and these pens are never listed stating the brand or manufacturer, therefore I was taking a bit of a shot in the dark when I bought this one, but I half expected it to be a Huahong when it came.

I doesn't in fact have any brand or manufacturer markings on it at all, and a standard nib, so I have no clue who makes it.

I've seen it listed as Senior collection A24, senior collection A25, and Senior collection acrylic SS-21.

It has a fine point which writes surprisingly well for a fine, and is very smooth, with a consistent ink delivery.

It came with a cartridge, but I installed a Jinhao converter in it and have had no problems with it at all.

I use this pen a lot, and chuckle to myself when I think that it cost me just over £1 including shipping.

I do love a bargain. :thumbup:

Ian

fpn_1434468549__2_acrylics.jpg

fpn_1434715909__hero_7022.jpg

Well, thanks to luvpens :thumbup: The much anticipated Hero 7022 arrived today, and I was immediately impressed, as, it came in its' own box, which is cool as with most pens from China, you don't get a box.

I was pleasantly surprised when I took the pen out, as it was quite different looking from what I expected.

It just shows how a pen in the hand can look quite different from it does in a photograph (bit of a lesson there).

As you can see from the pic....I chose the Ice Flowers version, and from looking at the online pics, for some reason I expected a slimmer pen, and more of a blue colour.

Anyway

It's not slim, and the size is perfect, so all good so far.

The colour is hard to describe....it's a kind of marbly effect over black, and the marbling changes colour from a white, greyish blue to a pale purpley colour depending on how the light hits it, and it is a very nice effect, making for a very attractive pen.

Now the big question....Does it write well?

And

Yes it certainly does. The nib is supremely smooth, and glides across the page....lovely.

So all in all, I'm delighted with my latest pen...Thanks again Luvpens, It's right up my street.

The Hero 7022 Another Belter. :thumbup:

Oh, and the ink is Diamine China Blue.

Ian

fpn_1434970814__7022_writing.jpg

Having spent the last few days using this pen, almost exclusively, It has proved to be a beautiful writer.

It writes really, really smoothly, a very similar writing experience to my Waterman Laureat, it's that smooth.

Thanks again Luvpens......Got any more pens that you know I'll like? :lol:

Ian

Hi rafizip

There is a vast range of Jinhao pens and I couldn't possibly comment on them all, however, my own favourite is the Jinhao 217, a gorgeous looking pen which writes lovely and smooth, a nice wet line which is in common with all of my Jinhaos.

I put the pic below of my collection on the main fountain pen thread, but I'll also stick it on here as it has quite a few Jinhaos in it.

If you see anything you fancy, the folks on here will be more than happy to tell you all about any particular pen.

fpn_1434029782__collection.jpg

TOP ROW L TO R.

jinhao x450, pierre farber, jinhao 1200 silver dragon, jinhao 599, jinhao 500, picasso swedish flower king,wing sung 590, baoer 701, jinhao x450, huahong ss-34, huahong ?, baoer 3035, reynolds accent

MIDDLE ROW L TO R

fine calligraphy pen, manuscript master, baoer 388, jinhao x750, dollar 717i demonstrator, parker 15/mixy, unknown handmade acrylic, kaigelu 368, shuli 1028. shuli 1028, shuli 1028, fountain pen revolution dilli, jinhao 8812.

BOTTOM ROW L TO R

b&m calligraphy pens, unknown acrylic, noodlers ahab, fuguilong 1009, waterman laureat, waterman super master, jinhao 217, huahong ss-20, delta vintage, arbutus apollo, jinhao 9009, kaigelu 335, jinhao x250.

I reckon I must be a fan of Chinese pens then :lol: This has only been since November.

Ian

Ian,

That is quite the collection - thanks for sharing. I will look into the J217 as you suggest.

thanks,

Rafizip

Today I'm using a yellow Hero 616-2 that I just received in the mail. Of course, it being a Hero, I've inked it up with Hero blue/black.

Nice writer!

Another new pen for me today.

I bought these guys because I liked the look of them, and I wanted a blue "marbly" pen.

They were listed as 9038 retro colour, medium nib, business pen with no brand, (the sales blurb is great, it more or less says, If you like the look and be lucky, buy it, if you don't, dont buy it, but what colour is it?.... brilliant :lticaptd: ) but after a bit of raking about, I found them to be by Hero.

They came in 3 colours, what looked like blue, a kind of burgundy wine colour, and a brown.

I made bids on all 3 colours and won the blue, and the wine.

They arrived today, and I'm pretty impressed.

There isn't any mention of Hero on them and they have the what appears to now be the standard Iridium tip Germany nib.

As Hero pens I expected a Hero nib, like the 7022, but I do know that Hero produce other pens without a Hero nib.

The pens do have 9038 engraved at the back of the cap though.

The "blue" pen turns out to be more purple than blue, which I'm more than happy with, and the wine coloured pen is an odd wine/dark burgundy colour and like the purple one, is very attractive.

They may be a bit "blingy for some, but I like them, the colours are very nice and the decoration and cap have just enough to make the pen look interesting without being over the top.

I inked up the purple with Waterman violet and it wrote pretty smoothly, not butter smooth, but still pretty smooth.

I like my nibs to be smooooooth, so...

2 minutes with the mylar paper, and it glides like a smooth old glidey thing that's very smooth and glidey.

Overall I'm well chuffed with the pens, even though they were in the "wee bit more expensive Chinese pens" catagory, at around £4-5 each, but again, money well spent.

I'll need to get the brown one now. :lol:

And the search continues for a nice blue marble pen........Happy days. :thumbup:

Obligatory photos.

fpn_1435240628__9038_3.jpg

fpn_1435240661__9038_2.jpg

fpn_1435240697__writing.jpg

Cheers

Ian

I LOVE that purple one! Gorgeous!!

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

I LOVE that purple one! Gorgeous!!

It really is a lovely pen, and definitely purple in the flesh.

It shows in the pic as more blue than it really is.

I spent all last night raking around looking at other Hero pens, as the three I now have are excellent, and I hadn't really considered Hero previously.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Really glad you're pleased with the 7022. I have three of these now, 1 x marbled and 2 x black.

Another you could try would be the Hero 382. Really well made pen and I have instant starts with it even after weeks of non use with MB midnight blue.

I've linked to a review below. Mine didn't have the cap issue mentioned in the review though, and I've had three of these to date, so maybe the reviewer was unlucky.

It's a reasonably fine nib and I had to give it a quick smooth on some micromesh, but then it wrote like a champ.

These are still my go to pens over and above my Twsbi and Waterman's - they are that good. I find them personally a step up from Jinhao (which I like and use often). IMO, the build is on a par with a Waterman expert anyday.

I'm now getting tempted by the 1026...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/224443-hero-382-1026-7030-and-9075/

So,

Just been on another spend-up..

Ordered:

Hero 1000 ( They get good reviews and I still miss my old Parker 51)

Hero 1026 x 2 (Again, good reviews and getting scarce - hence ordering 2)

Hero 572 (Not seen one of these before and just liked the look of it..)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hero-572-Fountain-Pen-Lacquered-Grid-Cap-Chromed-Trim-/180673947613

Now, the dreaded waiting game.............. :(

Edited by luvpens

So,

Just been on another spend-up..

Ordered:

Hero 1000 ( They get good reviews and I still miss my old Parker 51)

Hero 1026 x 2 (Again, good reviews and getting scarce - hence ordering 2)

Hero 572 (Not seen one of these before and just liked the look of it..)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hero-572-Fountain-Pen-Lacquered-Grid-Cap-Chromed-Trim-/180673947613

Now, the dreaded waiting game.............. :(

I have the 1026. Very understated, good writer. But because I am moving away from metal-bodied pens, I might PIF this one.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Ok, blonde moment, what does PIF mean?

Pay if forward. I've held back on giving away the Hero 1026, though, because it does look so good and is such a nice writer.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.