Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahahaha

If it was an Ahab would it be a Butt Fugly long?

Ian

:D

Just to get it back on topic: I wrote my brand new red Jinhao 599 (Google Jinhao Sapari...), loaded with 'de Atramentis Die Eifel'. A fiery red, inspired by erupting volcanoes. What is more, it is intended to smell like that, too. To those who live near volcanoes: i hope this is not the right arome... :huh: A detail I missed when I ordered it. I wrote a review about it here on FPN, some years ago.

Anywayz, the relevance for the 599 is the following:

1) my 599 is a dry writer, this ink flows like, ehhh, a volcano? Together, they team up perfectly. Good nib,

2) It is the only red that does the red 599 justice. And all that in the week of the eruption of the volcano in Chili.

Edit: found review

Edited by SmoutKa

Same three as always ... I went on a buying frenzy last year of which I kept five. Three of those never leave my desk anymore:

• x750 with a Knox OB nib in Bordeaux Swirl, filled with Diamine Registrar's
  • Hero 1000, Fine, vintage Skrip #22 (Blue/Black)
  • Kaigelu 316, charcoal, factory medium that I ground into a stub. Not BLS quality but pretty darn close. Filled with Liberty's Elysium

-k

(The other two are a white marble K316 and a Jinhao Century MKII. They somehow never grew on me)

I got my first three Chinese pens yesterday, so I'm using them today: Two Jinhaos-- a 750 in a shimmering gold color, which I filled with Stormy Grey, and a white porcelain horse with DC supershow violet. Also a Baoer 8 horses with Avocado.

I just love the over the top quality of these three pens. And they all write really well!

Edited by LuckyKate

What Chinese pen am I using today?

The Baeor 79 "Starwalker clone" that I bought about two (or three?) years ago.

It sat broken in my pen cup at work for over a year. Finally took time to fix it a couple of weeks ago.

The original ink converter was accidently destroyed (my fault). And this pen will not work with a larger International ink cartridge, which is all that I could find locally at Office Depot and Staples (Waterman black or blue).

So, went online and ordered some regular short carts from ipens.com

Seems to be working fine in the Baoer.

Don't know why I like this pen so much....maybe because it slips in and out of the shirt pocket easily and I don't have to worry if I lose it or break it. :)

One of the dragon eyes has dropped out of my J1200. Maybe I should make it into a pirate dragon with a patch over the eye...

Regards,

Richard

:lol:

I got my first three Chinese pens yesterday, so I'm using them today: Two Jinhaos-- a 750 in a shimmering gold color, which I filled with Stormy Grey, and a white porcelain horse with DC supershow violet. Also a Baoer 8 horses with Avocado.

I just love the over the top quality of these three pens. And they all write really well!

Congrats on your new pens Kate.

I've been eyeing up both the 750 and the Baoer 8 horses, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Enjoy

Ian

Congrats on your new pens Kate.

I've been eyeing up both the 750 and the Baoer 8 horses, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Enjoy

Ian

Thanks Ian! the 8 horses is lovely. The medium nib writes a finer line than the 750 or the Porcelain. The 750 is a good size and very elegant.

And my students loved them. That's the first time my pens have ever got comments from students. I liked that--may have to buy a bunch of Chinese pens to give away.

Thanks to Ian the Jock, I received my Jinhao 217 today. Very nice pen. Just hope the finish lasts a bit longer than my other Chinese pens.

Couldn't resist taking a photo of this combination - the ink (purchased earlier this week, at a great price!) was the inspiration...

http://i.imgur.com/K1KItEE.jpg

Nice. ...

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Thanks to Ian the Jock, I received my Jinhao 217 today. Very nice pen. Just hope the finish lasts a bit longer than my other Chinese pens.

J_MM

What are your first impressions of it?

I've used mine daily since I got it with no issues whatsoever, and I've ordered a broad bock nib for it just to turn it from an excellent pen into a brilliant pen. :thumbup:

Ian

To continue my recent theme of trying pens from "other" Chinese manaufacturers, I am using 3 new pens today.

post-117767-0-60007000-1430832339_thumb.jpg

post-117767-0-54877700-1430832362_thumb.jpg

I bought these three pens at the same time from an ebay vendor, from whom I had bought what turned out to be a Huahong pen, previously.

For whatever reason, the manufacturers are never listed but as I had bought a Huahong before, I knew from the logo that 2 of the pens were Huahong pens.

The other, I had no clue.

The 3 pens dropped onto the mat this morning and I gave all 3 pens a flush and floss before starting.

The first pen, a red acrylic swirl pen, was listed as "Famous Style Senior Collection SS-22"

I can't find any manufacturers marks on it all, and the nib is one of those german iridium nib jobs.

It really is a lovely pen, pretty robust and well made, but the pictures don't do the pearlescent red acrylic justice at all.

I tried a few converters in it (Jinhao, Baoer, and Huahong) and the only one that seems to fit is a Waterman converter, but as I said, It writes very nicely indeed, very smooth with a fine-ish line.

Weighing in at 30g it it has a nice weight to it, has a screw cap, and is extremely pleasant to use.

The second pen is a black Huahong (going by the logo, and the fact that it has Huahong on the nib), with a chrome diamond cut effect cap, but it has no model number or name on it, but does have a huahong converter.

It's the heaviest of the 3 at 41g, and again it writes very nicely indeed, very smooth, with a slightly broader line than the red acrylic pen. It was listed as "Senior Collection SS-20".

The third was listed as "Senior Collection SS-34" and is a blue swirl acrylic and metal pen.

This one is also a huahong, but as well as carrying the Huahong logo on the nib, it has Huahong stamped in Caps around the cap ring, and comes with its' own converter.

The acrylic is a pearlescent blue which is really nice and changes through different shades of blue and light purple in the light, again, the pics don't show this particularly well.

This pen has the broadest line of the 3 and weighs in at 38g including converter. The snap on cap fits snugly and like the other 2 it is a well made pen and a very smooth writer.

The 3 pens all look great and write very well, and cost a total of...wait for it.............$7.80 for all three.

I'm not going to say that they are good pens for the money as that kind of takes away from the fact that they are good pens regardless of how much they cost.

I've paid more for pens that aren't as good, and I've certainly not paid less for any pens that are better, so they're a good buy regardless of cost.

Sorry about the big ol' post, but It'll maybe help shed some light on these "unknown" pens that a few folks have been looking at on the bay.

Cheers

Ian

J_MM

What are your first impressions of it?

I've used mine daily since I got it with no issues whatsoever, and I've ordered a broad bock nib for it just to turn it from an excellent pen into a brilliant pen. :thumbup:

Ian

It is a nice pen. I really like the unique copper colour. How is your holding up to scatches?

Just about every Chinese pen I have eventually has the enamal or whatever finish come off after use.

To continue my recent theme of trying pens from "other" Chinese manaufacturers, I am using 3 new pens today.

attachicon.gif2 huahongs and a dunno 2..JPG

attachicon.gif2 huahongs and a dunno..JPG

I bought these three pens at the same time from an ebay vendor, from whom I had bought what turned out to be a Huahong pen, previously.

For whatever reason, the manufacturers are never listed but as I had bought a Huahong before, I knew from the logo that 2 of the pens were Huahong pens.

The other, I had no clue.

The 3 pens dropped onto the mat this morning and I gave all 3 pens a flush and floss before starting.

The first pen, a red acrylic swirl pen, was listed as "Famous Style Senior Collection SS-22"

I can't find any manufacturers marks on it all, and the nib is one of those german iridium nib jobs.

It really is a lovely pen, pretty robust and well made, but the pictures don't do the pearlescent red acrylic justice at all.

I tried a few converters in it (Jinhao, Baoer, and Huahong) and the only one that seems to fit is a Waterman converter, but as I said, It writes very nicely indeed, very smooth with a fine-ish line.

Weighing in at 30g it it has a nice weight to it, has a screw cap, and is extremely pleasant to use.

The second pen is a black Huahong (going by the logo, and the fact that it has Huahong on the nib), with a chrome diamond cut effect cap, but it has no model number or name on it, but does have a huahong converter.

It's the heaviest of the 3 at 41g, and again it writes very nicely indeed, very smooth, with a slightly broader line than the red acrylic pen. It was listed as "Senior Collection SS-20".

The third was listed as "Senior Collection SS-34" and is a blue swirl acrylic and metal pen.

This one is also a huahong, but as well as carrying the Huahong logo on the nib, it has Huahong stamped in Caps around the cap ring, and comes with its' own converter.

The acrylic is a pearlescent blue which is really nice and changes through different shades of blue and light purple in the light, again, the pics don't show this particularly well.

This pen has the broadest line of the 3 and weighs in at 38g including converter. The snap on cap fits snugly and like the other 2 it is a well made pen and a very smooth writer.

The 3 pens all look great and write very well, and cost a total of...wait for it.............$7.80 for all three.

I'm not going to say that they are good pens for the money as that kind of takes away from the fact that they are good pens regardless of how much they cost.

I've paid more for pens that aren't as good, and I've certainly not paid less for any pens that are better, so they're a good buy regardless of cost.

Sorry about the big ol' post, but It'll maybe help shed some light on these "unknown" pens that a few folks have been looking at on the bay.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I have a few of these as well. Had them for a month or so. Except for one dud, really nice pens for the price. I have two of the Huahong in a light brown swirl that are as nice looking as any pen I've seen.

John

It is a nice pen. I really like the unique copper colour. How is your holding up to scatches?

Just about every Chinese pen I have eventually has the enamal or whatever finish come off after use.

There's not a mark on it John, and It's been getting some pretty heavy use as well.

The coppery bit polishes up lovely.

Ian

Ian,

I have a few of these as well. Had them for a month or so. Except for one dud, really nice pens for the price. I have two of the Huahong in a light brown swirl that are as nice looking as any pen I've seen.

John

So far the 3 Huahongs, and this red swirl no-namer have been knockout when you consider the cost, and I'd be happy even If I'd paid a fair bit more.

Ian

I've been using the blue/purple Huahong, and the red acrylic pen continually for the last week and I have been over the moon with them.

I've changed the ink in the blue one to Waterman purple as it matches the pen better, and I love it, it is a cracking pen, starts up right away every time and writes very smoothly.

The red acrylic pen is also excellent, and has only 1 small fault, and that is that the nib is finer than I like, however, I've ordered a Bock broad #5 nib for it, and once fitted, the pen will be "bang on".

I've been so impressed with them that I haven't even lifted my J217, J500, or, the mighty dragon at all, so they must be good. :lol:

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock