New Lamy Safari Won't Write!

lydiafr

Sometimes there is manufacturing residue that impedes the ink flow. What can help is flushing through diluted isopropyl alcohol, which will cleanse the feed. Just be careful not to soak, as the alcohol can degrade the feed material and plastic section if left in contact long enough.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aminah

• pitonyak

• Edgar Allan Bo

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that I would start with Water, if it if looked like nothing was coming out, I would use 10 parts water, 1 part ammonia, and just a drop of dishwashing soap.

The ammonia can stain metal, so, regardless, be careful.

Will not write at all?

Or will not write like I expect it to?

D.ick

Just attempted again . . . .nothing. It wrote a tad at first, scratching the paper; but now, nothing.

I think that I would start with Water, if it if looked like nothing was coming out, I would use 10 parts water, 1 part ammonia, and just a drop of dishwashing soap.

The ammonia can stain metal, so, regardless, be careful.

Thank you.

Sometimes there is manufacturing residue that impedes the ink flow. What can help is flushing through diluted isopropyl alcohol, which will cleanse the feed. Just be careful not to soak, as the alcohol can degrade the feed material and plastic section if left in contact long enough.

Oh, okay.

Take it to Lamy and let then have a good look and make sure they make your pen write :)

We're in the wild woods of the south. No "Lamy" dealers near these parts. So, not worth it. Interestingly I have been using cheap fp's from wish.com that write waaaaay better than this Lamy. Who knew????

Tried to show paper scratch marks with the hint of ink. Oh well, even the photo of this sorry Lamy won't show up, LOL.

Thanks everyone anyway.

Edited by Lyric

I received my Lamy 2000 yesterday. I immediately flushed it with water and a wee wee wee bit of dishwasher soap, then I flushed with water, then I loaded it, and it just worked immediately. My opinion is that if you are not seeing this, and you have tried two or three different types of paper, then there is a problem with your pen, either send it back, or, send it to Lamy service.

Note that the ability to write may also be dependent on the ink that you chose to use. I cannot comment because I have tried only one ink in my Lamy 2000. This is where it gets a little odd.

1. I loaded PILOT IROSHIZUKU MURASAKI-SHIKIBU - JAPANESE BEAUTYBERRY (see https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-murasaki-shikibu-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69221) into my Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. I guess that it is a Purple.
  2. I loaded PILOT IROSHIZUKU YAMA-BUDO - CRIMSON GLORY VINE (see https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-yama-budo-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69217) into my Lamy AL-Star with an EF nib. I guess the ink is kind of maroon.

OK, so two Lammy pens, two inks from the same manufacturer. I wrote on a piece of cheap printer paper, and the maroon ink looked like I expected and the Purple looked like it came from a medium nib pen. I know that the 2000 is supposed to write wider than the other Lammy pens, but this was crazy.

I then tried writing in a small APIC notebook (https://www.gouletpens.com/apica-cd10-black-lined-notebook/p/AP-CD10-BK), it looked really nice. Same ink manufacturer, mostly similar nibs, very different results. I have too few experiments to say, but, I am told that sometimes you need a wetter ink, and maybe that is your problem. But, after you load your pen, especially if it is clean, I would expect it to just write. Even if the ink is not the best one for your pen. If you see anything else, then either you used a really bad ink, or there is something wrong with your pen.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Lamy 2000 yesterday. I immediately flushed it with water and a wee wee wee bit of dishwasher soap, then I flushed with water, then I loaded it, and it just worked immediately. My opinion is that if you are not seeing this, and you have tried two or three different types of paper, then there is a problem with your pen, either send it back, or, send it to Lamy service.

I have too few experiments to say, but, I am told that sometimes you need a wetter ink, and maybe that is your problem. But, after you load your pen, especially if it is clean, I would expect it to just write. Even if the ink is not the best one for your pen. If you see anything else, then either you used a really bad ink, or there is something wrong with your pen.

WOW, REALLY!!!

Okay, I am going to try some of this. Earlier I dipped the pen into water, right, ink started coming out. So, the feed seems to be fine. Let me try some of the ammonia, dish detergent stuff above. Funny how my $2 pen, shaped like the Safari, from wish.com is the business. Forcing myself to not throw away this Lamy and stick with what has been working . . . . my $2 pens from China, LOL.

P.S. Oh and the ink loaded is Diamine Grape.

Edited by Lyric

It just wrote two sentences ya'll. Here's hoping it continues. I'll store it nib down and see what happens later tonight and tomorrow. Thanks to all you FP prophytes.

If you lived closer, i would load your pen with some wetter ink in a converter.

My Lamy Al-Star stopped writing, and I was confused.... So I started twisting the converter to see if I could force some ink through the fee.... Nothing, and the converter kept going down..... and then I realized that this pen was pretty much out of ink and ink had simply clung to the sides of the converter.

I had a problem with another Lamy and some blue ink, and..... I was told that Lamy Blue ink is very very dry (as opposed to wet).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334715-is-lamy-blue-ink-really-this-awful/

I had no idea. You could also try adding just a smidge of water to the ink using a syringe (in case water has evaporated out), but it will probably dilute the color a bit.

I dropped a Pilot pen and destroyed the nib. I left the ink cartridge uncovered, and, when I added another nib, it was simply not reliable. I will go back and test it with some new ink that was not left out to evaporate for a month (smack head). Who knew? I mean besides everyone else here and not me! Yep, another test to run after I empty a few more of my currently inked pens. I have five in my pocket now and one sitting at home.....

Too many pens and ink to try and too little time.

Forcing myself to not throw away this Lamy and stick with what has been working . . . . my $2 pens from China, LOL.

The only pens I had which behaved like yours were literally broken. You're trapped in a weird twilight between caring enough to fix it but not caring enough to send it away or get refunded... I kind of understand, but I call it a 'hobby' and blame myself ;)

Mass-produced items usually have more consistent quality than more expensive things, to be frank. When you make 100,000 of something, you can't afford to test every one and throw away 10%. 99.5% of them will work the exact same.

I love my $2 pens too, they are cheap robust and just work. They have no problems that actually interfere with operation. There are exactly two points where my "good" pen outperforms them: A nib so smooth I didn't have to relearn my ballpoint/pencil deathgrip, and a feed which hasn't ever choked, bubbled, or burped.

Edited by Corona688

• 2 weeks later...

There are exactly two points where my "good" pen outperforms them: A nib so smooth I didn't have to relearn my ballpoint/pencil deathgrip, and a feed which hasn't ever choked, bubbled, or burped.

Sweet, Corona688 :-).

Tell me, what are your "good" pens?

My experience over 10 years of fountain pen buying, is that they all wrote better for a 'flush' through.

That is put some warm water in a glass or plastic tub, add one drop of detergent (for dishes), stir it up, and drop in the entire nib/feed/finger grip secion (minus the ink cartridge!.) Pick it out and holding the nib point down, scoop up some water, let it drain through, repeat a dozen times.

If you are patient, leave it in the water overnight. Fold up a paper towel and hold the nib and feed with it.

Shake the water out of the top part of the section, Leave it in the fresh air outside for an hour if possible.

Plug the ink cartridge back in and test. I would expect that to work now.

Possible reasons why not are, nib tines very tight together, or a blockage in the feed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet, Corona688 :-).

Tell me, what are your "good" pens?

My good pen is a Waterman Phileas. I have no other pens of comparable value. Sorry for missing your question. Edited by Corona688