The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Franklin Christoph 27

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 FranklinChristoph

FranklinChristoph

Franklin-Christoph, Ltd.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 14:41

tenney - that's what we've done actually, by making a tester kit. But in the 18K gold and HP Steel, that's still 32 nib options. Our tester kit right now is 22 pieces, every option in steel, and F,M and B in 18K in the two sizes. Imagine if we had to do 32 nibs in every pen model, yikes! We'll expand the kit into all the gold options soon.

On the Masuyama "M" nib - I'm not sure what he'd do to it, as most of his work is grinding a tip into a shape. The mediums are smoothed into an oval at the factory, from a round ball. If he did anything, it might be to tweak the tines into a way that matched your handwriting style. Or to do minimum grind on one side or the other. In that case it's best to sit down with him at a show and let him observe your handwriting and discuss things back and forth. Then you'd have a customized Masuyama medium just for you.

Yes, the 25 takes the #5 size nib, same as the 27, 14, 29, and pocket 40. The 25 can be changed from one nib to another, but it isn't as easy as the other models which allow the nibs to unscrew easily as a set of nib, feed, and housing. On the 25, we had to set the housing fixed inside, for two reasons. One we edge the flair off the top so it will fit up inside without thinning the wall thickness, or expanding the pen to too large a diameter, and two because the clip is fixed on the pen, we set that housing so that the nib will line up with the clip. On normal pens, the clip can be placed in line while posting. To change them here, we have a delicate process where we remove the nib carefully, then the feed. It's very hard to remove them both at the same time without damaging feed or bending the tines. So the best consumer option on the 25 is to pick one nib for the pen and stick with it. The others are all great to use different nib sizes so that you don't have to buy redundant pens just to change the nib.

Chi Town - thanks for your kind words. I'm always conscious of that, and make sure not to post with blatant commercial intent, except where appropriate, in Classifieds, etc. As long as it is a win/win, as you say, it is fine. Just so the boards don't get spammed with ads from commercial interest.

tenney - below is a photo of our tester kit. Hope to see you at a show -

Scott F.

Attached Images

• ShowKit.jpg

F-C on Twitter
F-C on Facebook
Franklin-Christoph.com
F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

Sponsored Content

#22 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:50

All of that for the 25's nib! Wow! And it holds up well too, I'd bet (as well as all of your other models, I'm sure).

Thanks to ethernautrix, I've been more and more drawn to the 25... a very interesting design! (even with the nib down in your pocket, which is still a bit disconcerting)
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#23 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 22:21

I've just gotten one of these, and I think that "firm" rather than "stiff" is a fairer description. The paper-feel is very similar to a Sheaffer Triumph point, and I don't think anyone is going to bitterly complain about the nature of those things. I have, I should say, relatively light hands when I write, and I suspect that this pen rewards that approach.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sponsored Content

|