The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Delta Dolce Vita Zen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:12

Appearance & Design (10/10)

I just love the orange and black combo. I had previously looked and tried the 'over sized', but it did not feel or look right to me.

This strikes the right balance. Size easy to manage and looks great.

The way it is packaged provides a nice display for it's contrasting colors.

Nib (9.5/10)

14 k - Broad.

And it IS broad. To my taste, could be a tad broader, so I took off 1/2 a point. But then I'd prefer it in a BB.

Very smooth writer. Not too wet, not to dry. I prefer a wet one, but this just seems to fit the pen - and me - properly.

Light in weight while still possessing a 'presence', if that makes sense. It feels lighter than it should, but not in a bad way. It is a very comfortable pen for my hand and grip.

Filling System (9/10)

Typical c/c. The converter fits the opening nice and snugly. No feeling that it will wobble or work loose causing a problem.

Filling was easy and clean with no real air bubble problems. Takes universal cartridges - a pack comes with the pen.

Price and Performance (9/10)

This pen cost me 260. I think it is very well worth it.

Overall (9.5/10)

I'm a bit surprised how much I like this pen. I didn't get to try it first at my B&M, they only had the over sized, so this was a bit of a leap of faith on my part. I like this one a LOT more than the over sized, and glad I took the risk.

While it looks too nice to be an 'every day' pen, it certainly will be used like that in the rotation. It really catches the eye and feel of a great pen.

Attached Images

• zen 1.jpg
  • zen2.jpg
  • zen4.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 PenStand

PenStand

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:25

Quite a nice looking pen, at a very reasonable price - is that retail price, or discounted?

Also, the cap looks very large - how well does it post?

Edited by seoulseeker, 24 January 2012 - 01:26.

#3 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:31

The cap is indeed a bit large. It posts well, and the black offsets the orange to just the right amount.

When posted, the balance is where it should be for me.

I purchased it on the 'bay from a known dealer with a 'buy it now'. Purchased it on Friday, got it
today. No issues, brand new, in box with all paperwork.

Local B&M didn't carry this model and couldn't get it, or I would have purchased it through them.

#4 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:11

Nice, thanks for sharing. How does the size compare to something well known, like the Pelikan M400-800 range.

#5 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:18

Nice, thanks for sharing. How does the size compare to something well known, like the Pelikan M400-800 range.

Or even how does it compare to the other members of the Dolce Vita family?

#6 Bluefinntuna

Bluefinntuna

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:55

The orange and black color combination is a beaut. Thanks for sharing.

#7 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:20

This is a very average sized FP. MUCH smaller than the over sized and such, more in line with the size of an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe, if that helps. Not as big as an M800, for sure.

I've only been able to compare it with a few other Delta Dolce Vitas, and while I'll state that this is the smallest of that series, it is by NO means a small sized pen.

I think it is a good price for the pen. I look forward to breaking it in this week.

#8 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:22

I will also add that the nib is firm. Very little give to it.

#9 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 17:52

This is a very average sized FP. MUCH smaller than the over sized and such, more in line with the size of an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe, if that helps. Not as big as an M800, for sure.

I've only been able to compare it with a few other Delta Dolce Vitas, and while I'll state that this is the smallest of that series, it is by NO means a small sized pen.

I think it is a good price for the pen. I look forward to breaking it in this week.

Thanks! The M800 comparision did the trick. I like the shape of this pen, but it's smaller than I'd prefere. My Delta is a very nicely made pen, and I think their prices are quite reasonable when compared to some of their competitors.

#10 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:02

Just did a couple of measurements on this.

Capped, the pen comes in at 5 1/2".

Posted, it comes in at about 6 1/4' from the tipping to the top.

Not a small pen by any means, but not a telephone pole either.

#11 FrankvK

FrankvK

Fontoplumo.nl

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 18:15

Great pen, like Delta in general, but this pen looks much nicer than the regular Dolce Vita, haven't seen this one before and will definitely consider buying this version.
www.fontoplumo.nl
info@fontoplumo.nl

#12 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:59

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#13 SHK

SHK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:06

Thanks for your images.
Since I have a couple of Deltas I can say that I'm very convinced about their quality.
And some really nice pens like the one you have.

#14 Chrisrap

Chrisrap

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 18:41

I recently received my Zen from martemodena eBay for $155 delivered with 14k B.  I love the nib, smooth consistent writer.  Didn't work well with Noodler's Black Swan (skip & hard start), but J. Herbin Lune is excellent, with B nib it's a dark line with subtle color.  I have a youtube video on this pen, https://youtu.be/ZGKoXSKTo1Y.  I have a few Delta's all from this Italian seller & all wonderful, works of art that are great writers.

Sponsored Content

|