Removing Platinum Preppy Collector

arkgray

So I stupidly left some Kung Te Cheng in my pen for quite awhile. I was wondering if anyone has had success removing the collector from the preppy. The ink hasn't stained it but it is just kind of gunked up. I think I could clean it quite well if I can get it out. Is it possible? Is there another way to clean it if not?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kb8dnr

• arkgray

• snkarbelkar

• guilhermejf

I clean it the following way:

Unscrew the barrel

Remove nib & feed

Make a fist sealing the front section (which has the collector inside) against a faucet and run some water through it, in both ways.

Finally, I give it a shake.

You could also use an ear syringe.

Edited by guilhermejf

I clean it the following way:

Unscrew the barrel

Remove nib & feed

Make a fist sealing the front section (which has the collector inside) against a faucet and run some water through it, in both ways.

Finally, I give it a shake.

You could also use an ear syringe.

I have used an ear syringe but the cleaning is beyond that.

• 1 year later...

It's nearly impossible to remove the Platinum Preppy colletor without damaging it. I've had some limited success removing the collector by inserting a small screw into the feed hole and pulling it out using a set of pliers. A small square of shelf liner wrapped around the front section helps with gripping issues.

If you succeed in romoving the original collector, try replacing it with the collector/feed system from a Pilot Varsity...

Isn't it simpler, and not at all expensive, just to fill a new Preppy with your KTC?

Experimenting with low end pens is part of the fun...

I successfully pulled a Preppy collector last night by inserting a drywall screw into the feed hole and then used a syringe to apply a "small" amount of olive oil between the collector and the barrel. A twisting/pulling motion on the screw separated the collector from the barrel. Again, a small square of shelf liner wrapped around the barrel helped me keep a grip on things.

Olive oil is less likely to harm the plastic. Cooking oil may also be compatilble. After removing the collector, I gave the barrel a thorough washing and then inserted the collector/nib assembly from a Pilot Varsity. So, now I have an eyedropper converted Frankenpen.

• 1 month later...

Experimenting with low end pens is part of the fun...

I successfully pulled a Preppy collector last night by inserting a drywall screw into the feed hole and then used a syringe to apply a "small" amount of olive oil between the collector and the barrel. A twisting/pulling motion on the screw separated the collector from the barrel. Again, a small square of shelf liner wrapped around the barrel helped me keep a grip on things.

Olive oil is less likely to harm the plastic. Cooking oil may also be compatilble. After removing the collector, I gave the barrel a thorough washing and then inserted the collector/nib assembly from a Pilot Varsity. So, now I have an eyedropper converted Frankenpen.

Nice to know that you have been able to pull out the collector. Please tell whether this was pulled from the nib side (which has a taper or the barrel side.

Just curious, what is the benefit of replacing with the Varsity collector?

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Nice to know that you have been able to pull out the collector. Please tell whether this was pulled from the nib side (which has a taper or the barrel side.

Nib side.

Just curious, what is the benefit of replacing with the Varsity collector?

Dan

I find the Pilot Vpen nibs are "relatively" smoother than Preppy nibs, but Vpens are a pain to refill.

By replacing the Preppy collector with one from a Vpen, I now have a decent refillable everyday pen with a fine smooth nib for around $7...

If anything happens to my Lamy, I'll move its collector into a Preppy body as well.

Rick