The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Soennecken 444 Piston Removal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:18

I have a Soennecken 444 pen, with broken seal. I have removed the nib. But would like to get access to the piston. How is this best removed to replace the seal?
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

Sponsored Content

#2 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:43

A couple of years ago, I would have received at least 2 or 3 replies. Now nothing. These days if I post a question like "What Noodler's ink goes with Burberry plaid?" or "What's your favorite brown pen?" I'll receive dozens of replies.

Disappointed.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#3 Strang

Strang

Down

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:27

A couple of years ago, I would have received at least 2 or 3 replies. Now nothing. These days if I post a question like "What Noodler's ink goes with Burberry plaid?" or "What's your favorite brown pen?" I'll receive dozens of replies. Disappointed.

Sad...but depressingly true. :mellow:
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.
Posted Image

#4 christof

christof

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,134 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:26

A couple of years ago, I would have received at least 2 or 3 replies. Now nothing. These days if I post a question like "What Noodler's ink goes with Burberry plaid?" or "What's your favorite brown pen?" I'll receive dozens of replies.

Disappointed.

Well, probably you are right in general. But it may help when you post at least one picture of your pen that people can see what's your problem. I am quite familiar with Soennecken and surely have had one or two 444 in the past. Unfortunately I do not have one currently and can't remember how it works exactly. I don't want to give you wrong advice...

One thing is sure about Soennecken: The piston mechanism can be screwed out from behind.

. . . my current S A L E S . . .

fpn_1501079397__18762338330_19cf666a48_o

#5 Michael A

Michael A

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:17

Disappointed.

Well, probably you are right in general. But it may help when you post at least one picture of your pen that people can see what's your problem. I am quite familiar with Soennecken and surely have had one or two 444 in the past. Unfortunately I do not have one currently and can't remember how it works exactly. I don't want to give you wrong advice...

One thing is sure about Soennecken: The piston mechanism can be screwed out from behind.

I do not have a Soennecken but I have a couple of Tower pens. That was the brand name that was used by Soennecken in Sweden. All of these can be dismantled by screwing out the mechanism from behind. The cork sealing is fastened by a cap that also can be screwed out in order to fit a new sealing. The piston mechanism is very sturdy but I would recommend that you soak the pen and use some dry heat before dismantling.

#6 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:16

Before you do anything, Soennencken used three different types of piston mechanisms. I believe the 444 piston is of the same era as the 111 and 222 pens and the removal technique is a little different. I'm going by what Laurence Oldfield wrote in his book.

2018 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 24-26th, 2018
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#7 christof

christof

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,134 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:48

Before you do anything, Soennencken used three different types of piston mechanisms. I believe the 444 piston is of the same era as the 111 and 222 pens and the removal technique is a little different. I'm going by what Laurence Oldfield wrote in his book.

...as I said, a picture would help.

#8 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:01

...as I said, a picture would help.

Fully agreed !

#9 viclip

viclip

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:43

Can anyone clarify whether the Soennecken piston mechanism is unscrewed counterclockwise(RH thread) or clockwise(LH thread)?

#10 christof

christof

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,134 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:46

Can anyone clarify whether the Soennecken piston mechanism is unscrewed counterclockwise(RH thread) or clockwise(LH thread)?

unscrew = counterclockwise

finally found a picture in my archive!

Attached Images

• SOENNECKEN_444.jpg

Edited by christof, 27 January 2012 - 12:58.

#11 framebaer

framebaer

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:58

What Noodlers color SHOULD I use when wearing my Burberry Plaid Beret? :roflmho:

(couldn't resist)
Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra. Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

#12 viclip

viclip

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2012 - 15:40

unscrew = counterclockwise

finally found a picture in my archive!

thank you greatly for the info & photo!

#13 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 15:53

Sorry to not get back sooner. Here's my picture of the pen. The nib has been removed, which you don't see anyway. It is press-fit, and with feed, simply pulls out by twisting it back and forth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not going to give a further diatribe about the state of affairs on this board because the response was wonderful. I'm sorry that it took what it did to get some.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#14 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 918 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 20:10

@ToasterPastry

Here you go: