Waterman Charleston (Black w. GT)

Meuge

OK, I'm intrigued by the posting issue: it seems that the Charleston doesn't post with a click or a snap. This sounds like my Phileas, which I find to be quite comfortable and not difficult to keep posted. If this sounds about right to owners of either or both pens, I might just go for one...

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Meuge

• Maja

• Ondina

• missnibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall:

The Charleston is an amazing pen, especially given that you can find it under $100 online. With its superb 18K nib, a classic look, and a reliable filling system, Charleston is one-fits-all instrument that any self-respecting stylophile should be proud to call his (or her) own.

Just received a Charleston fine point in blue. Very nice. Was looking for a good "every day" pen and this baby should fill in nicely.

Went against my usual "troll Ebay for days" routine and made my first purchase with Penwa (Medford, NJ). Fair price, free shipping and excellent customer service. I'm happy.

I own a black CT broad nib Charleston and could not be more pleased with it. Writes like a dream, look very nice and, I don't know if it is only mine, or is a general thing, the nib has a sort of "natural stub" at the front end that provides a great writing experience. Love it!. As I own a few pens only, is permanently inked with Waterman Violet or with Waterman's Bleuet. Lays a true broad line with a very slight line variation. All my enveloppes, parcels and letters get written down with it. Even the postman noticed a few days back and asked "what marker made such a nice line in a cool color".

If there is time today, some pics will be uploaded.

Here are the pics.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2354500249_2426d21865_b.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2355329522_4c497d92da_b.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2354498461_8f06b5a543.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2355327394_2daf8c6bd5_b.jpg

For some reason I cannot add more pics to the post, so another one to add a couple more.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2354498461_8f06b5a543.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2354492395_224cac12ef.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2355325352_14afc40137.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm currently into anything Art Deco, and although my fabulous Pelikan M400 White Tortoise has an Art Deco air about it, I've read that the Charleston is specifically modelled to reflect that particular style, so naturally I am quite interested. So, as far as price/quality is concerned, it seems that the majority of the price goes into that stunning looking nib - shame about the lack of breather hole, though, I just can't imagine a fountain pen without, but that's just me I suppose.

Now, I already have two mediums (one broad nib that writes like a medium due to its being a Japanese nib) so now I'm specifically looking for a fine or even extra fine nib. Buuuut I know there are few contenders to challenge the legendary smoothness of Japanese fine nibs. Will the Charleston's 18K nib still live up to my expectations and deliver without a hint of tooth or scratchiness? Anyone willing to offer a helping hand and confirm my fears or make them go away?

I agree wih you. I am consistently drawn back to my two Charlestons.

Even tho I own about 200 fountain pens I constantly work at it.

Some days I just MUST use a Charleston. You can't beat the handling and writing.

I own one ivory with G/T and a black with G/T. Since they discontinued he ivory I never take it out of the house because I know I can replace a black one if I have to.

IRRATIONAL -->> I have only lost one pen in 20 years and I'm sure it is in a box from my move this past summer.

IRRATIONAL -->> I never buy any pen that is silver or chrome. Use to but don't anymore. Don't know why.

I ramble..... roflmho.gif

I agree wih you. I am consistently drawn back to my two Charlestons.

Even tho I own about 200 fountain pens I constantly work at it.

Some days I just MUST use a Charleston. You can't beat the handling and writing.

I own one ivory with G/T and a black with G/T. Since they discontinued he ivory I never take it out of the house because I know I can replace a black one if I have to.

IRRATIONAL -->> I have only lost one pen in 20 years and I'm sure it is in a box from my move this past summer.

IRRATIONAL -->> I never buy any pen that is silver or chrome. Use to but don't anymore. Don't know why.

I ramble..... roflmho.gif

Do your Charlestons happen to have fine or XF nibs? If so, are they as good as the mediums I keep hearing everyone praise?

I have a Charleston (black G/T) with fine nib. For a fine nib, it is one of the smoothest I have. Definately no tooth or scratchiness to worry about.