Onion Skin @ Michael's Or Hobby Lobby?

shaylenwilliams

Pretty obvious... I'm wondering is anyone knows if I can find onion skin paper (or something very similar?) at Michael's Arts & Crafts or Hobby Lobby? Or anywhere else that might be in the Cincinnati area? I know I can order it here, and I will likely do that at a later date, but I'm looking for an instant fix.

Any help/info is much appreciated!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• inkspot

• ac12

• Dalimar

Nope. I don't think hardly any paper companies make onion skin paper. I looked, as I was interested in buying some, but yea, no luck. Probly online?

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I bought some at Michaels a while back, but the ink bled, feathered, and spread and awful amount. It was in a pad with a purple and white cover with a black binding. I'd advise you to steer clear of that.

If you have a Staples or an Office Depot, some of the stores carry onion skin and light-bond papers either in the business paper aisle, or through the print center. I hope this helps!

I bought some at Michaels a while back, but the ink bled, feathered, and spread and awful amount. It was in a pad with a purple and white cover with a black binding. I'd advise you to steer clear of that.

If you have a Staples or an Office Depot, some of the stores carry onion skin and light-bond papers either in the business paper aisle, or through the print center. I hope this helps!

Thanks SOOO much! I'll have to check them out!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I haven't used that brand, but I was going to recommend considering a tracing vellum. I've got some Pro-Art (and some 30-year-old Canson stuff made in France) and if it's thin enough, it might be considered similar to onion skin paper I used in the 60's. Be aware that fountain pen ink on some vellums can take a fair bit of time to dry. My Canson stuff isn't terribly thin, but it takes ink pretty nicely. Some vellums can feel like you're writing on ice.

I haven't used that brand, but I was going to recommend considering a tracing vellum. I've got some Pro-Art (and some 30-year-old Canson stuff made in France) and if it's thin enough, it might be considered similar to onion skin paper I used in the 60's. Be aware that fountain pen ink on some vellums can take a fair bit of time to dry. My Canson stuff isn't terribly thin, but it takes ink pretty nicely. Some vellums can feel like you're writing on ice.

Awesome. Thanks so much for your input! I'm not sure if I'll get out tomorrow (we're getting an ice storm tonight), but I will report back as soon as I try something new!

The Poor Connoisseurs

I've got some lightweight (9 lb.) vintage onionskin paper for sale in the FPN Classifieds. As for translucent vellums, I've used Strathmore and Neenah brands and like them quite a lot. Those are not lightweight papers but still very cool to write on. I believe Strathmore is readily available... the Neenah paper I have is hard to find.

8½ x 11 Onionskin

8½ x 14 Onionskin red-ruled

Edited by jbb

Here's a writing example on Strathmore Translucent Vellum. There's a really awful :sick: modern onionskin sold by Paper Accents -- you don't want that.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7150/6472697629_b01367b836_b.jpg

Edited by jbb

Here's a writing example on Strathmore Translucent Vellum. There's a really awful :sick: modern onionskin sold by Paper Accents -- you don't want that.

That's lovely! The Paper Accents onionskin was the stuff I tried - and hated! Thanks, jbb. I couldn't recall the name.

I've got some tracing paper too. If your blue has any sheen on regular paper look out because you'll get a lot on the tracing paper. Pilot Blue looks really nice.

Well, I thank you all for your input. Looks like Vellum will do the trick!

We got an ice storm last night, so I may have to wait until tomorrow to get some but I'm excited now!!!

The Poor Connoisseurs

I am going to... when I get the extra money!!! I'd also be really interested if anyone has experience with this!

I purchased vellum from Staples (online) and it works out beautifully.

I ended up with vellum from Office Depot. The only pads they had in the store were 11x17, so I am cutting them down to use. The paper isn't quite what I'd hoped for, but it isn't bad at all.

I tried some tracing paper from Staples that was terrible. I promptly returned it.

All of this is stemming from the fact that the Staples Bagasse I've gotten the past few trips has been bad. The Office Depot bagasse is better, but not as good as the old stuff from Staples. I tend to write lengthy letters, so I'm looking for something that doesn't weigh much (adding more bulk, and thus more stamps), and will hold up to my tendency to use super wet pens.

The Poor Connoisseurs

I bought a Canson CalQue tracing paper pad (9 x 12) from Michaels awhile back and was pleased with it. I did have to use scrap paper under it though as it does bleed through with some inks/pens. Haven't seen any onionskin in our local stores in years. Did find vellum at the Xpedex (sp?) store in 2 colors (white and ivory).

Yes, I have a ream of this paper made by Schoellershammer, and it's exquisite with fountain pen inks. Not quite the same as the older crinkly onion-skin, more like a fine parchment crossed with a vellum, in terms of look and texture. However, it's without question one of the most "fountain pen friendly" papers that I've ever used.

I've been meaning to write up a review of this paper with photos, but the life of the "road warrior" with business travel has been too hectic of late for me to write this up (or my review of some neato booklets from Korea or the leather cover from Inkleaf Leather that I now have...).

Nonetheless, even without a detailed review, the Schoellershammer onion-skin paper is heartily and unequivocally recommended.

John P.

• 2 years later...

Only 2-1/2 years after John's post....

I just tried it, and it seems to work just fine thank you.

The paper handled all my pen/ink combos, both fountain pen and dip pen, without feathering or bleed through.

As you can expect, I would not write on the back side as the shadowing is pretty nasty on paper this thin. But I suppose you could anyway.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com