Actual Indian Pen Rates

moribus2

I thought I was doing service to the community. Never intended to spark off controversy. Sorry.

Edited by moribus2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moribus2

• hari317

• Wolverine1

• Silent Speaker

I had a feeling as such, but I assume that the price is made up of: The pen (near negligible, as you have noted); postage (but I haven't looked at whatever their postage price is); the various labour costs involved in sourcing the pens in the first place; and finally, last but not least, plain profit (obviously).

Remember, not everyone lives in India (well, at least 83% or so of us all don't ;) ) and so access to such items is dependent upon whoever is bothering to sell them to the wider world; as far as I am aware, this site is the only game in town, so they can charge whatever they want and if people want the pens they will buy them, and if they don't, they won't.

Simple.

Edited by Silent Speaker

If you live in a relatively big city, then you can easily buy them, that too in bulk.

A relatively big city in India? As much as I would love to take a pen-hunting trip across India, I can't hop a plane to do that right now.

True, this site is the only place (that I know of) outside of India to consistently find Camlin and Chelpark pens. The proprietor does the legwork to go around to pen shops in India and asks for them by name. So, whatever the going rate for these pens is in India, we can assume that he pays around that much for them. Add to that his time and effort in locating them, posting them online, and shipping them to the rest of the world. Plus, he needs to charge a price that makes this worth his time. He does have nice discount rates for purchase of 5 and 10 pen lots (the last lot of pens I bought from him worked out to about $5 per pen.)

Which brings me to the question of comparison with other sellers. It's difficult to draw price comparisons when this is the only place to regularly find those brands, but I can say that when I have seen them for sale elsewhere, prices seem to be pretty similar. Does anyone know what the going rate of Airmail/Wality pens is in India? Fountainpenrevolution seems to sell theirs for similar prices to other people selling unused examples. In fact, retrodesk.com currently has their prices on Wality pens ranging from $14.95 up to $26.95.

Would I like to pay the local Indian prices for these pens that I like so much? Absolutely...but I'm not in India. Keeping that in mind, trust me when I say that I have searched as exhaustively as I can for a consistent source outside of India for those particular brands at the cheapest prices possible. Unless you have a friend in India willing who knows what you want and is willing to do the legwork for no compensation, this is pretty much it.

Anyway, that's all just my experience. It's the same as with anything else...if you like the product and are willing to pay the price, pay it. If you know where they can be found consistently for less money, please share!

***Usual disclaimer: I am in know way affiliated with fountainpenrevolution other than as a loyal repeat customer.

Edited by cjabbott

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

I had a feeling as such, but I assume that the price is made up of: The pen (near negligible, as you have noted); postage (but I haven't looked at whatever their postage price is); the various labour costs involved in sourcing the pens in the first place; and finally, last but not least, plain profit (obviously).

Remember, not everyone lives in India (well, at least 83% or so of us all don't ;) ) and so access to such items is dependent upon whoever is bothering to sell them to the wider world; as far as I am aware, this site is the only game in town, so they can charge whatever they want and if people want the pens they will buy them, and if they don't, they won't.

Simple.

If you live in a relatively big city, then you can easily buy them, that too in bulk.

Which cities?

I've never seen them in any city I've ever visited or lived in - and that's quite a few (hint: I've never been to, nor lived in, India ;) )

-=-=-=-

EDIT:

Not that I've ever actually purchased any of these pens (from this site or any other; nor, really, do I have the desire). I was merely curious as to what sorts of Indian pens were available.

Edited by Silent Speaker

Moribus,

Do you use 83% whenever you cite a statistic?

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Moribus,

He didn't cite that stat; I did.

If the world's population represented by those who live in India is 17%, then the rest of the world amounts to 83% (I can't remember the stat exactly; it was about 16 or 17% - I heard it passingly on the news a few months ago).

I dont understand why I am being shouted at.

My facts are correct. You get camelin pens and other stuffs like that in India for the price I stated. How hard would it be to get out to your nearest store for a pen.. I can personally lift up at least 10 packets of camelin from a store round the corner. And I live in only a small town with few 100 stores. Imagine about a place like Mumbai, Delhi etc. They would have 1000s of stores.

I simply don't like the fact that people are made to buy any thing for such exorbitantly bloated price tag.

Shipping may be the issue, I dont know. But still, the price is way too high.

I for one am not shouting at you, though I only skimmed over what the other guy wrote, so perhaps you're getting this perception there - whatever.

I am trying to explain to you some simple economics:

Now, your facts and figures are (most likely) true, I do not argue against them, the prices you speak of are not in dispute - but that is all irrelevant.

You keep insisting that these products are not hard to come by in India. If these pens are easy to come by in India, what then, if you do not live in India? They are not easy to come by. You must then rely on a service - you must buy the product from somebody in India. It just so happens that this site is, as far as I am aware - though I've not looked particularly hard, the only place you can get these pens easily if you are not in India (the site appears, upon cursory inspection anyway, to be specifically geared for international sales).

You insist that the site charges too much - perhaps it does, but that too, is irrelevant. The site can charge as much as it wants and those who want those pens will just have to pay whatever price if they really want them - if they find it worth it, unless there is a viable alternative to this seemingly singular source for Indian pens.

It is admirable and noble of you to try to warn others here about what you consider to be a bad deal or a ripoff, but that doesn't change the fact that it might just be the only deal available (perhaps you know of a better site?).

And if it is (the only viable source for Indian pens to the rest of the world), what are people to do? Either they take what you consider to be a bad deal anyway, or they don't. In the end, it's up to them.

Please tell me if this is not clear to you, and I shall endeavour to explain it better.

Edited by Silent Speaker

Hello

I came across these while browsing. This site sells Indian pens at outrageously high prices Here. I believe there are many other such sites.

Here is the actual prices of pens

camelin,chelpark prices range from Rs. 15($0.3) to Rs 80 ($1.6). There is one from camelin which costs $30

chelpark moti sells at Rs. 80. I am sure other brands are similarly priced

The above site sells it at about 10 times higher than list price.

So be wary and try to bargain your way to cheaper pens.

Yup - I made the mistake of buying these pens from Kevin - even with shipping to US I paid dearly for what they are. Never again. OP, thanks for posting this as I thought of posting a similar thread but shied away. I will get the indian pens when I go to India next. Also, some FPN member sold me a bunch of these pens for a VERY reasonable price.

Edited by smodak

I just find this very unethical.

Now that's another matter entirely, and beyond the scope of my explanation ;)

Nevertheless, you have provided useful information to anyone who reads this thread; information which could be helpful in gauging any prospective purchase they might make concerning Indian FP's over the net.

Moribus,

If the world's population represented by those who live in India is 17%, then the rest of the world amounts to 83% (I can't remember the stat exactly; it was about 16 or 17% - I heard it passingly on the news a few months ago).

My facts are correct. You get camelin pens and other stuffs like that in India for the price I stated. How hard would it be to get out to your nearest store for a pen.. I can personally lift up at least 10 packets of camelin from a store round the corner. And I live in only a small town with few 100 stores. Imagine about a place like Mumbai, Delhi etc. They would have 1000s of stores.

I simply don't like the fact that people are made to buy any thing for such exorbitantly bloated price tag.

I for one am not shouting at you, though I only skimmed over what the other guy wrote, so perhaps you're getting this perception there - whatever.

Now, your facts and figures are (most likely) true, I do not argue against them, the prices you speak of are not in dispute - but that is all irrelevant.

You keep insisting that these products are not hard to come by in India. If these pens are easy to come by in India, what then, if you do not live in India? They are not easy to come by. You must then rely on a service - you must buy the product from somebody in India. It just so happens that this site is, as far as I am aware - though I've not looked particularly hard, the only place you can get these pens easily if you are not in India (the site appears, upon cursory inspection anyway, to be specifically geared for international sales).

You insist that the site charges too much - perhaps it does, but that too, is irrelevant. The site can charge as much as it wants and those who want those pens will just have to pay whatever price if they really want them - if they find it worth it, unless there is a viable alternative to this seemingly singular source for Indian pens.

It is admirable and noble of you to try to warn others here about what you consider to be a bad deal or a ripoff, but that doesn't change the fact that it might just be the only deal available (perhaps you know of a better site?).

And if it is (the only viable source for Indian pens to the rest of the world), what are people to do? Either they take what you consider to be a bad deal anyway, or they don't. In the end, it's up to them.

Please tell me if this is not clear to you, and I shall endeavour to explain it better.

I believe that I understand. There is simply no other option but to buy from there. I just find this very unethical. But then again my exposure is very limited. So I dont know.

I don't understand why you believe this to be unethical- primarily, the owner has to make a profit, otherwise, there is no reason for him to be in business in the first place.

Second, assuming that the stats in this thread are correct (as far as prices- I'm using an iPod to post this and can't see the thread while replying), the profit margin is 50-60%. That hardly seems inflated to me. If a pen costs $1 USD for the seller, and shipping is $3-4, that makes a $10 USD pen sell at a 50% profit (assuming free shipping)

Third, and most importantly for many of us, there is no way for me to "get up and go to a pen store". The closest store to me is Fountain Pen Hospital, and that's a 3 hour drive from where I live. From what I understand, they don't carry the primary Indian pen brands. For me to purchase one of these pens, I would have to ride on a plane for 16 hours, costing well in excess of the supposedly "inflated" prices and shipping.

If I lived in India, your point would apply to me. I wouldn't spend the excess money. As had been pointed out earlier, there's simply no other way for someone like me to purchase an Indian pen except through Kevin. Most of the members here are in that same boat. Even at his price points, there are few (if any) readily available pens of comparable quality at any stationery store within driving distance of my home. I'm sure that there are plenty of others who are in the same situation.

I agree with the other posters- your concern is appreciated, but completely misplaced.

Moribus,

Sorry. Neil Patrick Harris' character uses 83% as a statistic whenever he wants to cite a statistic. Just humor.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

... snip OP ...

Yup - I made the mistake of buying these pens from Kevin - even with shipping to US I paid dearly for what they are. Never again. OP, thanks for posting this as I thought of posting a similar thread but shied away. I will get the indian pens when I go to India next. Also, some FPN member sold me a bunch of these pens for a VERY reasonable price.

Just to add a contrary point of view, I've also bought Indian pens from Kevin, both through FPN Classifieds and through his Web site. The pens I've received were exactly what he described, and I've been delighted with them. I think the premium I paid over the street price in a large Indian city was quite reasonable, given that I have neither friends in India who will shop for me for free nor opportunities to travel there at the moment. If it hadn't been for Kevin and a few other people who go out of their way to make Indian pens available to North American users, I would probably never have seen a Chelpark or a Camlin, let alone have had some in my rotation. To me it's a bargain. Someone who spends a week every month in India would calculate differently, I'm sure.

ron

I appreciate the original poster giving the prices of the pens. Living in the U.S., I have no idea of Indian fountain pen prices. I am interested in Indian pens, so this information was very helpful.

I can not help but wonder, if the the online shop referenced in the post was not a Fountain Pen Network member, would he have got the same response?