The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Comparison Of The Pilot 78G B And Bb Nibs Video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 19:09

I got my 78G Pilot BB today from Speerbob and took it out for a test drive side by side with the B nib I got from Todd at isellpens. The results surprised me and I videoed my thoughts for you to share. Please forgive the background, I thought I had all of the things other than paper out of the way and I didn't. Next time. I liked the immediacy of my thoughts so I didn't shoot it over. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UZM4uMlisTU

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 20:55

Nice video, I'ts good to see them side by side with the same ink.

#3 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 22:06

Oh, COOL! Love your handwriting, too. I have one or the other of these... can't recall whether it's the B or BB, but it is a nice lightweight pen with a biiig ink capacity.

Wish the 78G came in a tipped B.

#4 frogbaby

frogbaby

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 23:05

thanks for the video
they are such great pens for the money

i bought a medium and i wonder if anyone knows where to get just a broad nib ?
i haven't seen one anywhere, only the pens and nibs as a single unit

#5 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 22:08

Thanks for the great video, Fabienne.

My new 78G BB pen arrived yesterday (a gift from a good friend).

A super little pen.

A pen seller suggested that a BB nib would be too wide for practical writing.   Not in my case.

My cursive script is rather large & my writing speed very slow. 

Using Pilot's Shin-kai, the BB nib kept up with my deliberate writing, producing amazing shading & line-width-variation.

As good, if not better than my expensive custom CI nibs.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#6 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 22:22

Lordie!  I didn't notice that the original post was from Jan 2012. 

Used the search engine on FPN , typing in "Pilot 78G BB nib"

The first item on the list was this thread................

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#7 arellano81366

arellano81366

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 13:32

2016 and still a live topic. I'm new in fountain pens and I wish to buy either a Pilot 78G, but I cannot choose between B or BB. Best Regards, Javier. 

Javier

#8 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 18:27

If you have used a stub nib before, the B seems to be to be similar to the 1.1 width, which is offered on other pens.  Depending on what other nibs you have, this might seem broad to you; I like 1.5 & the BB is as wide as I really like.  I do have some 1.9 nibs that are acceptable, but find 1.5 to be my generally favored nib.  I bought the BB first liked it, added the B, really just to see the difference, & to have another 78 G, but in a different color & nib size.  They have both been good choices for me.  

If your other used pens are from the "fine & medium" families, you might be perfectly happy with the B.  Whichever you choose, I think you will be happy to have the pen.

Sponsored Content

|