The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A Very Short Review Pelikan 140 With Bb Binderized Nib

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 20:55

I just got a Pelikan 140 from Rick Propas at The PENguin.* Very nice transaction and I liked the pen. Short, light weight, not fancy. It's a 1950's model which I suspect is plastic but they have done a real nice job of making it look like inlay.

The nib was fine. Not my style. It wrote well, not scratchy but not the plush ride I was craving.

I bought a BB from Richard Binder who said he thought the M200 nibs would fit on a 140. He should know, right?

Wow, just wow. This took that sweet little bird and made it into an F-14!!!! Zoom! The nib fit perfectly, I filled it up with Noodler's Eel Blue and took off. Smooth, fat line of glassy dark blue ink trail behind me. Wow, maybe that is the wild blue yonder.

The 140 has a huge ink capacity for its size and the double broad gold nib looks a bit large but in a neat way. Actually, I thought the old nib was a bit prissy, this one advertizes! I have small hands and the 140 nestles right in there as if it were made for me. Light weight and I could write all day with no fatigue at all.

I was unsure about Pelikans before, I had to get pushed into this transaction by a friend on this forum and I am so glad I did. With the right nib handled by the right guy it's the right pen.

I feel like putting up a few images later. It is worth looking at even if you have seen them before. That broad nib makes it special.

*I am editing this because I gave the wrong source before, sorry.

Edited by Fabienne, 18 January 2012 - 12:26.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 23:42

Congratulations on your new pen and nib! :puddle:
When you have some time, would you show us some pictures of the pen and writing? :notworthy1:

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 00:10

A Pelikan huh? Wonder who pushed you into this mess? Now you'll have to get more! :P
I'm LOVING my old 140 with the OBB nib. Amazing little pen.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:30

Ummm, it was some guy named Shawn whom I have never met. Funny like that!

Oh, now I have two BTW. Another friend of mine sold me an M215 and I put a Binderized BB nib on that one,too and love them both. Hard to choose which one to use.

Nib...the nib is the key. Really, yea. Heh.

#5 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:32

They don't seem to get talked about as much as some but they should be. Really nice. Huge ink supply!

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:56

This "Shawn" guy sounds like quite the pusher. I'd be careful of him. ;)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#7 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 13:37

I've had work done by Richard Binder. He's the real deal, and I don't think you can go wrong using him.

As a matter of fact, I'm waiting to hear back from him to arrange for some other work to be done.

#8 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 18:59

This is great to hear but I want pictures too. Are either of your BB nibs stubbish?

#9 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:37

Now with YouTube video for the review! I hope it works, took all day to load up!

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:31

THe newer BB nibs are pretty round from my experience. Very nice and smooth - wet flow - but not stubbish. You could have it ground though.

#11 guilhermejf

guilhermejf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 00:59

Oh, that's an excellent video review!

#12 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:04

Neat thought but right now I am enjoying the BB like it is. I might want to consider that later when I know more!

#13 dgator

dgator

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:50

:thumbup: Well done video review! Glad your enjoying the 140. It's on my short list.

#14 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:55

Love your vid review! Hope you'll be doing more of these.

#15 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2012 - 16:56

I am working on my video technique. I really like the way it shows off things you can't simply talk about. Seeing is believing and all that. I am working my way up to doing one with my husband's MB 149.

I have limited equipment, and I have to have a way to do about 3-5 minutes and load it up to YouTube, so my fancier (and much older) Sony digital is too limited in terms of memory to help much here. It has a great lens but not much capacity so I had to rely on my iPhone, a tripod, a clamp light and some fiddling to make it all look decent. I am getting quite an education.

#16 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 20:06

I don't know what nib you had on your 140 originally but it was a semi-flex.

I don't know if Rick smoothed that nib any.
I buy old pens normally that have sat a decade or a generation in the back of a drawer.
There is micro-corrosion often on the nib, that gives it a tad of drag.

Try the brown paper bag trick.

I have a wonderful 140 semi-flex OB...that is in my '5/6/7 area of best nib still. It was my first 'mythical' semi-flex.
After that I very seldom chased any thing but semi-flex or 'flexi' nibs.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#17 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 21:06

Rick didn't smooth the M nib at all. It was a Medium and I think it was pretty modern... not a vintage one. It is a steel nib. I might try the bag trick. Goodness knows I really messed up a couple of nibs with the micro screen stuff and will never ever attempt anything that radical on a nice pen. (I was wise enough to go to work on a modern No Nonsense Scheaffer and a Jinhao and (of course) I really messed them up. I had to throw them out. Live and learn. Thank goodness I didn't grab my husband-o's MB 149 and try to "do him a favor". I shudder at my clear eyed self confidence :gaah:

#18 Silas

Silas

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 22:08

Great video! And, I've heard of that "Shawn" guy too! Even bought a pen from him....a real enabler!

And, because of BoBo Olsen, I bought my first Pelikan 140 with the OB nib he talks about. Wow! Was that a wonderful, flexy, signature nib....filled it with Badger and Blade's 5 O'clock Shadow and off it went. (Thanks, Bo Bo, you were right on!)

Then, about a week ago, I, too, bought another Pelikan 140 from Rick Propas...great fella! Mine had a flexy extra fine nib and it is also a great signature nib, but can be used for my small journals too.

And, just today, from Berlin, I received the matching ballpoint, the Pelikan 355 green striated to put in my pocket next to the 140, so when people ask to borrow my pen, I nonchalantly pull out the ballpoint. A beautiful set.

Congrats on the 140! I agree with you on all points: a great vintage pen with large ink capacity that is a great writer!

Sponsored Content

|